[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 24, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #543 of 1,922
Your assumption that I listen on all those hours is incorrect. :)
Sometimes, all we need is to reduce the volume of the outside world...or make it shut up completely. We don't have a remote for that...so these ear-stuffers are the next best thing.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #545 of 1,922
Jun 24, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #547 of 1,922
Sometimes, all we need is to reduce the volume of the outside world...or make it shut up completely. We don't have a remote for that...so these ear-stuffers are the next best thing.
I agree, but with the fiio iem's I listed while not fully inserted in my ear I can hear all the ambient sound I need.

I use fiio short 17cm cable and attach a 1 foot extension cable to 2 fiio btr1k or q5 blue-tooth amp/dac as needed. When I disconnect the extension cable and blue-tooth, people hardly notice I am wired for sound at my discretion.

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #548 of 1,922
I wear iem's 20 hours per day and alternate between fa1, fh5, and fa7 and at this type of usage the weight does become noticeable.

The reviews I have read show the fh7 to be quite good, but now as partially disabled I need an iem to wear for extended periods time.

I had them in about 8 hours yesterday and at times I forgot they were in. With the comply tips they didn’t feel weighty at all. They were less noticeable than the IE80s I have and they are quite light. Sometimes the comfort can be better even when the weight is different.

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #549 of 1,922
Hi, my 2 cents to share my own personal, practical experience with FH7 with very limited reference (mostly me myself on "actual" concert and live music vs what I hear on apple stock earphones).

- Sound quality is superb! I am currently re-hearing all my music (mostly alternative acoustic, live concerts).

- Negative - there's a very very obvious, super annoying sibilance, (i.e. shhh and sentences ending with S on vocals that sounds clipped, distorted and spiky) tamed it by using 1) Memory Foam, 2) Ironically using the green open filter - more for treble, 3) Dragonfly Audioquest. It is now less obvious. Using other filters, some details are removed across all sound spectrum (very very subjective).

- IEM is heavy I feel it’s the cable, took time to get my ear to get used to it (this is my first IEM, as coming from stock iPhone, it’s very significant)

- Quickly comparing with Shure535 for around 1 hour and 2 more IEMs cant remember the model and brand with the same price range, this FH7 stood out (hats off), very obvious with my novice, stage practical knowledge (again, this is my personal view)

- Being a noobie on IEM, tried this with stock Apple Lightning to 3.5mm for few days, --- definitely not enough to take advantage of this IEM. You need good source (Tidal MQAs) + good dac (Audioquest Dragonfly) + THIS - then you'll hear the difference :)

- Adding Audioquest Dragonfly Red + Tidal MQA, gave TONS, of details... It's been a while since I heard a "guitor strum" and "grand piano" where you can actually hear the "tensions" of the strings (played on stage, so I feel it), and decay of the bass, + drums felt beating right in front of you.

Hope above helps, again, these are my own personal experiences and my view is coming up from stock Apple earphones with stock Apple to 3.5mm :)

IMG_2259.JPEG

IMG_0044.JPEG

IMG_2257.JPEG

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #550 of 1,922
Hi, my 2 cents to share my own personal, practical experience with FH7 with very limited reference (mostly me myself on "actual" concert and live music vs what I hear on apple stock earphones).

- Sound quality is superb! I am currently re-hearing all my music (mostly alternative acoustic, live concerts).

- Negative - there's a very very obvious, super annoying sibilance, (i.e. shhh and sentences ending with S on vocals that sounds clipped, distorted and spiky) tamed it by using 1) Memory Foam, 2) Ironically using the green open filter - more for treble, 3) Dragonfly Audioquest. It is now less obvious. Using other filters, some details are removed across all sound spectrum (very very subjective).

- IEM is heavy I feel it’s the cable, took time to get my ear to get used to it (this is my first IEM, as coming from stock iPhone, it’s very significant)

- Quickly comparing with Shure535 for around 1 hour and 2 more IEMs cant remember the model and brand with the same price range, this FH7 stood out (hats off), very obvious with my novice, stage practical knowledge (again, this is my personal view)

- Being a noobie on IEM, tried this with stock Apple Lightning to 3.5mm for few days, --- definitely not enough to take advantage of this IEM. You need good source (Tidal MQAs) + good dac (Audioquest Dragonfly) + THIS - then you'll hear the difference :)

- Adding Audioquest Dragonfly Red + Tidal MQA, gave TONS, of details... It's been a while since I heard a "guitor strum" and "grand piano" where you can actually hear the "tensions" of the strings (played on stage, so I feel it), and decay of the bass, + drums felt beating right in front of you.

Hope above helps, again, these are my own personal experiences and my view is coming up from stock Apple earphones with stock Apple to 3.5mm :)

IMG_2259.JPEG

IMG_0044.JPEG

IMG_2257.JPEG

I had an issue with sibilance when I first got these. I solved the issue by finding a tip with the right seal. Once I found the right seal the sibilance was fixed and the bass came back with a vengeance. I had to use different tips than with the FH5 which was not intuitive at all.

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #551 of 1,922
I had an issue with sibilance when I first got these. I solved the issue by finding a tip with the right seal. Once I found the right seal the sibilance was fixed and the bass came back with a vengeance. I had to use different tips than with the FH5 which was not intuitive at all.

Yeah - totally agree, you need to play around. Tried for few days with different tips + filters, and now a happy person :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #552 of 1,922
FH7 sound most days to me is preferable to all BA sets including se846, ier-M9 and Fearless S8p but in the noisy New York Subway is non starter because isolation is so so. :triportsad:

Can you compare FH7 and IER-M9? Is one considered as a step up from the another? or do you have any suggestions?

I know asking this would be illogical, but I am using the IER-M9 and thinking of going back to bright sound signature earphones. I got into this hobby by those very piercingly bright IEM from KZ and never found they hurt my ears. Warm sound makes me get bored easily and it sounds good only if I am happy or in a very good mood.

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #553 of 1,922
A Hyla CE-5 is on its way to me soon. I'm looking forward to comparing it with the FH7!

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #554 of 1,922
A Hyla CE-5 is on its way to me soon. I'm looking forward to comparing it with the FH7!

I love my CE-5 - both sound and fit. I would be really interested in hearing your impressions!

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #555 of 1,922
I agree about Noise, Power & distortion - difference is negligible to notice, but (correct me if I'm wrong as it's from memory) Cross-talk however, if measured at 1K @ -73db will likely go above -50db by 15K, and the worst part is that it's uneven. Capacitance and inductance induced transfer will interfere and create multiple small scattered peaks that mask some auditory ques that otherwise help brain to re-constitute the sound stage. That theory is consistent with what I hear which is the only improvement I notice is in sound stage.
Also I believe that manufacturers are less likely to cut corners designing balanced circuits as they know that loud minority of discerning audiophiles will be using balanced. My Hiby R6 balanced output sounds a lot better than SE but only on resolving IEMs (Sony ier-M9, ibasso it04, FiiO FH7, Fearless S8Pro).
Subtle on Shure846 and Sony Z5. So part of it is of course hype and placebo effect but specifically on Xelento and FH7 with Hiby - difference is not subtle. On Ear-studio es100 it's considerably less noticeable for some reason.
BTW, sony has dsp effect to reduce cross talk, anyone has any experience with that?
Many balanced circuits are just doubled-‘normal circuits’ using same DAC/AMP parts. Sure, the OTHER components and general design might be “audiophile” (aka more marketing and less aggressively priced), and the market is so saturated with such “Hi-Fi” devices. BT will be even more saturated since “aptX HD” and “LDAC” buzz.

I wish they’d save the extra chip cost and put the money elsewhere, like better ‘normal circuits’ or ‘a larger battery’ .. :p

Maybe more single ES designs too, options seems dominated by AKx2 which, from what I’ve read, affected by chip costs a good bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back