[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jul 4, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #707 of 1,922
Hello @Owludio, can you make a brief comparison between FiiO FH7 and Sony XBA-N3AP? Thank you very much!

I have both as well. The FH7 has more detail, a bit brighter, and bass is fast and impactful. The N3 is darker, less detail, mellower sound, and the bass is slower but still solid. The first is a hoppy ale, the second a malty one.

What kind of music d you listen to? I’ll give direct comparisons of songs.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #708 of 1,922
I have both as well. The FH7 has more detail, a bit brighter, and bass is fast and impactful. The N3 is darker, less detail, mellower sound, and the bass is slower but still solid. The first is a hoppy ale, the second a malty one.

Hi @Vitandus, thank you for the answer!
I listen to orchestral music mostly and for the rest I listen to all kind of genres. I am a musician and I care a lot for the timbres of the instruments. This is a good reason why I appreciate the Sony N3 since the trumpet timbre reproduced by the N3 is very very close to the reality.
I agree with you on the slow and smooth attitude of the bass register of the N3, this is why I would like to make a step ahead in sound quality.
For instance, I already tried the Sennheiser IE800S but I don't think they are night and day with respect to the Sony N3.... At all!

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #709 of 1,922

Agree with that:ok_hand: Also N3ap FR is L shaped, BIG bass, warm and pleasant mids where vocals both male and female sound very lively, deep soundstage, less airy than FH7, but unless smothered by bass in excessively bassy songs, resolution is not far behind. I'm biased because I love smooth extended treble, especially one done by Sony magnesium super twitter BA. Love it in both Z5 and N3.

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #710 of 1,922
9940800_m.jpg
Hi @Vitandus, thank you for the answer!
I listen to orchestral music mostly and for the rest I listen to all kind of genres. I am a musician and I care a lot for the timbres of the instruments. This is a good reason why I appreciate the Sony N3 since the trumpet timbre reproduced by the N3 is very very close to the reality.
I agree with you on the slow and smooth attitude of the bass register of the N3, this is why I would like to make a step ahead in sound quality.
For instance, I already tried the Sennheiser IE800S but I don't think they are night and day with respect to the Sony N3.... At all!
Same here, I returned Xelento because it had no place between FH7 and N3. FH7 bass is faster then Xelento Tesla driver while N3 kills it at the trebble.
N3ap with hybrid Monster Super Tips isolates the best of the 3.
open

I wear N3 over the ear as you can guess from the pic above. If it was as comfortable as FH7 I would be more reluctant to buy FH7 as N3 is only $300 today.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #711 of 1,922
Didnt get the fh5.The seller deleted it from the used sale site.Im still curious about the fh5,but with both fh7 and fa7 at home i guess i dont really need the fh5.
FH5 MSRP is $260, Sony XBA N3ap is $299. In my opinion FH7 > N3 >>>>>>FH5, it's not close. FH7 or N3 if you are ok with Sony weird fit. Sony will also isolate better and u can wear it over the ear with a simple mod. I agree with HawaiiBadBoy on FH5, sound stage is messed up and bass is uneven. I still have FH5. Tried to like it but is not my cup of tea.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #712 of 1,922
FH5 MSRP is $260, Sony XBA N3ap is $299. In my opinion FH7 > N3 >>>>>>FH5, it's not close. FH7 or N3 if you are ok with Sony weird fit. Sony will also isolate better and u can wear it over the ear with a simple mod. I agree with HawaiiBadBoy on FH5, sound stage is messed up and bass is uneven. I still have FH5. Tried to like it but is not my cup of tea.
Thanks how about XBA-Z5 vs FH7 ?

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #714 of 1,922
Thanks how about XBA-Z5 vs FH7 ?
At the risk of opening the huge can of worms :radioactive: I'm going to try but have to note that Z5 I only use on weekends and on the days when I need warmer darker sound because something like S8p or FH7 or it04 sounds to bright.
Z5 has unique bass. It's powerful, goes down to deep infra bass (audible @15 Hz even though infra bass shouldn't be audible).
Listening for something like Ivan Torrent "Human Legacy" can give me a goose bumps on Z5. Tried it on S8P and .. total meh, was only ok on it04. Without that infra bass that infernal mood is not created. In sound tracks infra bass used to induce emotion of darkness and fear and without it the whole composition falls apart.
I thought nothing could top it. Well ier-z1r did but it's $2K and it's fit was damaging my ears. in 3 weeks of owning it I developed some sort of inflammation on the left side and, almost crying,:cry: had to promptly return it before the return window closed. The New Hope :wink: came when FH7 was announced especially after watching Bad Guy Good Audio Review (Special thanks to Hawaiibadboy)
Listening now to Ivan torrent on FH7 from Hiby R6 (not pro) and the bass dare I say it - all there and extra resolution and air and brightness makes composition even more vivid. Wow! Thanks for asking! You just made my day!:astonished: I almost forgot how dark those recordings are - excellent match to FH7.
Either new generation of Knowles super twitters is finally catching up with Sony's magnesium BA or my hearing is fading? :thinking: Hmm.. RIP Z5:disappointed_relieved:
9940801_m.jpg

Attachments

• Z5.jpg
    Z5.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #715 of 1,922
Yes there is some small differences only.

Agree the FH5 is great for its range. Soon I will be upgrading to something more upmarket but I will definitely be keeping my FH5.
FH5 IMO is no longer great in under $300 range. Again IMHO Sony XBA N3ap is $299 and sounds superior with great bass, mids and stellar treble, not to mention REAL sounstage unlike FH5.
Hidiz MS4, Kanas pro, TFZ No3 (which I'm getting Monday), iKko oh1 (only $140) (Disclaimer: From mentioned above ,I only own it01,FH5 & N3ap) Even iBasso it01/01s

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #716 of 1,922
Listening now to Ivan torrent on FH7 from Hiby R6 (not pro) and the bass dare I say it - all there and extra resolution and air and brightness makes composition even more vivid. Wow! Thanks for asking! You just made my day!:astonished: I almost forgot how dark those recordings are - excellent match to FH7.
Either new generation of Knowles super twitters is finally catching up with Sony's magnesium BA or my hearing is fading? :thinking: Hmm.. RIP Z5:disappointed_relieved:

Thank you, guess I am glad then I did not get Z5 and got FH7 instead :)
Empire ears has a July 4 sale and that Legend X is very tempting but I love the value Fiio FH7 bring at quarter of the LX price while likely providing 50% of the bass and 75% of the sound quality of LX.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #717 of 1,922
FH5 IMO is no longer great in under $300 range. Again IMHO Sony XBA N3ap is $299 and sounds superior with great bass, mids and stellar treble, not to mention REAL sounstage unlike FH5.
Hidiz MS4, Kanas pro, TFZ No3 (which I'm getting Monday), iKko oh1 (only $140) (Disclaimer: From mentioned above ,I only own it01,FH5 & N3ap) Even iBasso it01/01s

I think the FH5 is still a solid choice, but I sold mine in favor of the FH7, MS4, XBA-N3, and iSine 20.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #718 of 1,922
Thank you, guess I am glad then I did not get Z5 and got FH7 instead :)
Empire ears has a July 4 sale and that Legend X is very tempting but I love the value Fiio FH7 bring at quarter of the LX price while likely providing 50% of the bass and 75% of the sound quality of LX.
FH7 is capable. All you have to do is to boost everything below 65Hz using most basic EQ and it will blow your brains out. To me this is the 1st iem that sounds more effortless than Z5!
On the other hand I'm researching Empire ears too as they reputed to have very good isolation. My vacancy for noisy environments is still open even though FH7 with hybrid Monster super tips now gives me above average isolation.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #719 of 1,922
I think the FH5 is still a solid choice, but I sold mine in favor of the FH7, MS4, XBA-N3, and iSine 20.
I'm curious about MS4. You kept it over FH5, I heard it's good, someone even compared it to FH7:thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back