[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jul 3, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #691 of 1,922
If my wife watch TV, I use Spinfit CP240. If she doesn't, I use Spinfit CP145
SpinFits (and silicone tips in general) won't give you much of a seal with the FH5. Foam is the only way to go for total seal (in noisy environments - silicones are fine for quieter environments). I can only imagine the FH7 will be quite similar in this respect since it's a shallow insertion IEM.

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #692 of 1,922
FH7 made me realize mistake of buying Xelento and I returned Xelento to Amazon (Love Prime return policy!) after first 2 days with FH7. Xelento is more laid back, more forgiving. It's more bassy than FH7 and I like that but after FH7 Xelento bass sounded loose and sloppy and had that weirdness in it, that low rumble sounded unnatural and somewhat distorted. FH7 bass even more effortless than ASG2 (my basshead IEM), obviously not the same amount of bass but so accurate!
FH7 fits more comfortable with more tips than Xelento but isolation is worse, probably because Xelento has only one vent on the inner side vs FH7 with one extra vent on the outer side, making it more sensitive to wind noise as well.
At work I use Monster Gel & Foam super tips: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTip-Sampler-Starter/dp/B003TFEHMA.
Isolation is on par with Sony XBA-A3 and worse than N3ap(Which I use for NY subway commute when I need more bass then Fearless S8P and it04 can provide (S8P is My commute favorite, it04 is all rounder).
I have not heard newer generations of Etymotic but from what I hear about them compared to ER4s that I used to own years ago, they still follow accurate analytical kind of sound that is not very musical. After buying Shure SE846 - ER4 became dead to me and with triple flange tips isolation is just as good. I can describe it as standing on the noisy train platform watching trains "silently" zooming by while listening to podcast or music on low volume.
That said, I still don't choose 846 over S8P or N3ap.
FH7 is reference quality to me. They are even less forgiving than iBassoit04. it04 is similarly realistic with more bass with stronger emphasis on lower sub bass (15-35Hz). I still love it04. They fit to my average ears better then customs and isolate better then Sony N3ap it04 is number 3 in my daily driver rotation maily because some days FH7 sounds to bright to me (I have a freaky ears and acutely aware of perception changes and that's why ALL MY OPINIONS will always have reference comparison point.)

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #693 of 1,922
SpinFits (and silicone tips in general) won't give you much of a seal with the FH5. Foam is the only way to go for total seal (in noisy environments - silicones are fine for quieter environments). I can only imagine the FH7 will be quite similar in this respect since it's a shallow insertion IEM.
As I said, FH5 is not good at isolation at all. FH7 is much more better. Don't believe me. Try by yourself.

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #694 of 1,922
Tested the FH7 on the subway and the isolation is honestly not the best, even with Comply tips. Need to stick with ER4SR for the subway for decent isolation. FH7 is probably better for home or above ground listening. The rumbles of the subway train is too much. Must be the two vents. Will try again with other foam tips.
What tips with both? Full triple tip inserted are quite .. noise blocking.

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #695 of 1,922
I have both and yes, isolation is similar. FH7 wins from deeper insertion but looses from extra vent on the outer side.
FH5 isolates rumble better than FH7.
BTW FH5 never really worked for me, sounds open and airy (which I like) but sound stage positioning is messed up and realism is not there) FH7 is not just upgrade on FH5 IMO, is in the next league!

Jul 4, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #696 of 1,922
FiiO 1.JPG
FiiO 2.JPG

FYI I took a more detailed look at the comparison of the FH7, FH5 black and FH5 original in size and nozzle design (left to right respectively in the photos). For me, fit and isolation is similar across all 3 models. I didn't notice any major variations / differences in terms of fit, comfort, seal or isolation among them. Maybe it's just my ears.

Jul 4, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #697 of 1,922

FYI I took a more detailed look at the comparison of the FH7, FH5 black and FH5 original in size and nozzle design (left to right respectively in the photos). For me, fit and isolation is similar across all 3 models. I didn't notice any major variations / differences in terms of fit, comfort, seal or isolation among them. Maybe it's just my ears.
Finally someone did the unthinkable and actually measured and compared all three side by side! :p We can talk and speculate we want, but it just takes one picture to settle the argument.

Seriously though, as I suspected the differences are so small that the difference in fit comes down to the difference between tips used. That’s a good thing because I love the fit of the FH5 and look forward to a very similar fit with the FH7. Nothing irritates my ears more than deep insertion IEMs, so I’m glad FiiO stuck to the same basic design for their high-end hybrids.

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #698 of 1,922
Where and when and how and WHAT!!! BLACK fh5's!!!!!??? WHere!!!!!?? i just got a pair from the mid of the year aliexpress sale !!!! i actually had a pair of fh5's but sold em thinking i would not miss them after the fh7, of course the fh7 are superior in almost all the ways, but... have you missed Super Mario World and think "DAMN! why didnt i just kept it, it was so much fun... "well thats me with some iems, the fh5's being one of the main ones i missed and cannot get rid off

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #699 of 1,922
Where and when and how and WHAT!!! BLACK fh5's!!!!!??? WHere!!!!!?? i just got a pair from the mid of the year aliexpress sale !!!! i actually had a pair of fh5's but sold em thinking i would not miss them after the fh7, of course the fh7 are superior in almost all the ways, but... have you missed Super Mario World and think "DAMN! why didnt i just kept it, it was so much fun... "well thats me with some iems, the fh5's being one of the main ones i missed and cannot get rid off
I’m actually thinking I’ll keep my FH5s even if I get the FH7. Technically better isn’t always better, and the FH5 has a fun, addictive sound and super plush fit that I doubt even the FH7 will match. No reason why the two can’t play nicely together. And yes there’s been a black FH5 for a while, and finally we have a photo that shows they’re IDENTICAL to the original FH5. When FiiO said they made the black ones ‘deeper’, all they did was add a pair of bi-flange tips. Lol!

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #700 of 1,922
I’m actually thinking I’ll keep my FH5s even if I get the FH7. Technically better isn’t always better, and the FH5 has a fun, addictive sound and super plush fit that I doubt even the FH7 will match. No reason why the two can’t play nicely together. And yes there’s been a black FH5 for a while, and finally we have a photo that shows they’re IDENTICAL to the original FH5. When FiiO said they made the black ones ‘deeper’, all they did was add a pair of bi-flange tips. Lol!
maybe the grill is a bit more upfront, which i dont think would have any sonical difference, DAMN still would've loved to get a pair. and yes, i would encourage you to do so, truly i just held a week without the fh5, its just such a fun easy going iem, just got the tinhifi p1 and im playing around em, hehehe still will go to bed watching netflix with the fh5's =P super comfy, i can actually fall sleep with 'em on

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #703 of 1,922
Finally someone did the unthinkable and actually measured and compared all three side by side! :p We can talk and speculate we want, but it just takes one picture to settle the argument.

Seriously though, as I suspected the differences are so small that the difference in fit comes down to the difference between tips used. That’s a good thing because I love the fit of the FH5 and look forward to a very similar fit with the FH7. Nothing irritates my ears more than deep insertion IEMs, so I’m glad FiiO stuck to the same basic design for their high-end hybrids.

Yes there is some small differences only.

Agree the FH5 is great for its range. Soon I will be upgrading to something more upmarket but I will definitely be keeping my FH5.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #704 of 1,922
Tried the fh7 and fa7 yesterday with some electronica music.The Fh7 has more details,but the fa7 is more warm,thick,laid back.I think the fa7 suits electronic music better.The fh7 is not bad on that genre,but it can be an little bright.
The FH5 is the perfect electronica IEM. I didn’t like the FA7 - too thick, aside for maybe electronica like you say. Will be interesting to hear how the FH7 does it.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #705 of 1,922
FH7 made me realize mistake of buying Xelento and I returned Xelento to Amazon (Love Prime return policy!) after first 2 days with FH7. Xelento is more laid back, more forgiving. It's more bassy than FH7 and I like that but after FH7 Xelento bass sounded loose and sloppy and had that weirdness in it, that low rumble sounded unnatural and somewhat distorted. FH7 bass even more effortless than ASG2 (my basshead IEM), obviously not the same amount of bass but so accurate!
FH7 fits more comfortable with more tips than Xelento but isolation is worse, probably because Xelento has only one vent on the inner side vs FH7 with one extra vent on the outer side, making it more sensitive to wind noise as well.
At work I use Monster Gel & Foam super tips: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTip-Sampler-Starter/dp/B003TFEHMA.
Isolation is on par with Sony XBA-A3 and worse than N3ap(Which I use for NY subway commute when I need more bass then Fearless S8P and it04 can provide (S8P is My commute favorite, it04 is all rounder).
I have not heard newer generations of Etymotic but from what I hear about them compared to ER4s that I used to own years ago, they still follow accurate analytical kind of sound that is not very musical. After buying Shure SE846 - ER4 became dead to me and with triple flange tips isolation is just as good. I can describe it as standing on the noisy train platform watching trains "silently" zooming by while listening to podcast or music on low volume.
That said, I still don't choose 846 over S8P or N3ap.
FH7 is reference quality to me. They are even less forgiving than iBassoit04. it04 is similarly realistic with more bass with stronger emphasis on lower sub bass (15-35Hz). I still love it04. They fit to my average ears better then customs and isolate better then Sony N3ap it04 is number 3 in my daily driver rotation maily because some days FH7 sounds to bright to me (I have a freaky ears and acutely aware of perception changes and that's why ALL MY OPINIONS will always have reference comparison point.)

Hello @Owludio, can you make a brief comparison between FiiO FH7 and Sony XBA-N3AP? Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back