[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jan 13, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,876 of 1,922
I am using the red filters with different kinds of tips (mostly foam and tri-flange) and the ibasso dc06 and I have been loving how they sound. idk if these changes made the difference or if my ears just got used to their sounds, but either way I am really enjoying the sound.
I liked the red filters too at first, but I think it's worth it to try the black filters with the spinfits out since the red filters enhance the treble but it's at the expense of some body and extension in the bass and midrange, so vocals will feel a little thinner (though the enhanced treble will make them clearer) and bass will be more anemic and lack depth/texture.

Using the foam tips mitigates these drawbacks to an extent by creating a tighter seal, but in my experience when you listen closely the resolution is diminished and the sound leans a little too warm. Warmth can be great, but I think at it's best the FH7 is an airy and nimble performer (though definitely not cold, right in the middle). Using the balanced filters you'll immediately hear the bass dig deeper and voices gain more weight and authority. Paired with the Spinfits you should notice not only an improvement in the size and shape of the soundstage (circular and tightly defined instead of comparatively loose on the foams), but more importantly in the instrument separation and dynamics. Sounds fly around you with pinpoint accuracy and effortless cohesion, it's unbelievable when you really get it dialed in.

I sold the MEST MKII and kept the FH7 without a second thought. And wasn't about the money, the FH7 was the better set regardless of price. FiiO still hasn't topped this IEM imo and I'm not sure they ever will because it's clear that a genius tuned these.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #1,877 of 1,922
You sure the red tip accentuates the treble? I'm pretty sure that's the "bass" filter.

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #1,878 of 1,922
You sure the red tip accentuates the treble? I'm pretty sure that's the "bass" filter.
You're right, but I'll keep that reply up for anyone using the green filter. And honestly I feel even more strongly they should try the balanced and spinfits since the bass filter blunts the treble which is one of the best things about this set when it's presented right. Obviously everyone's ears are different though.

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #1,880 of 1,922
how's guarantee/warranty handling in case of the MMCX connection has issues ?

Thinking of perhaps getting the FH7 - but the MMCX connection worries me
They're built like a tank, I've had mine for a couple years and no problems with the connectors. I've been far, far more worried about my sets with 2-pin connectors since the connections have a habit of getting loose and slightly exposing the pins, which means they're vulnerable to moisture and sweat. Not to mention they're pretty fragile.

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #1,881 of 1,922
You're right, but I'll keep that reply up for anyone using the green filter. And honestly I feel even more strongly they should try the balanced and spinfits since the bass filter blunts the treble which is one of the best things about this set when it's presented right. Obviously everyone's ears are different though.
Interesting! I use mine with the red filters, but I'll give them a shot with the black ones tonight.

An editorial: I picked up mine from Fiio on eBay Open Box and it as a fantastic deal. I also moved the stock FH9 cable to my FH7 and I think they look great (I think it's sold as the LC-Rd Pro?). Link and photo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165263040854

11937756.jpg

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #1,882 of 1,922
Interesting! I use mine with the red filters, but I'll give them a shot with the black ones tonight.

An editorial: I picked up mine from Fiio on eBay Open Box and it as a fantastic deal. I also moved the stock FH9 cable to my FH7 and I think they look great (I think it's sold as the LC-Rd Pro?). Link and photo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165263040854

11937756.jpg
That cable is great. I also switched it from the FH9 to the 7 when I had the FH9 and eventually returned the 9 and just bought the cable.

And yeah, let me know what you think. The set is fantastic no matter how it's configured but there's something special about how crisp, detailed and musical it is with the balanced filters + Spinfits. I still get goosebumps every time I listen to them after almost 3 years.

Also, try messing with the audio filters on your DAP. The Short Delay Slow roll-off filter is my favorite for this set since it increases the soundstage and instrument separation. Most DAPs and DAC/Amps put the default setting on Fast Rolloff which brings the music closer but the soundstage is narrowed and you don't get the out of your head, holographic presentation these are really capable of.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #1,883 of 1,922
That cable is great. I also switched it from the FH9 to the 7 when I had the FH9 and eventually returned the 9 and just bought the cable.

And yeah, let me know what you think. The set is fantastic no matter how it's configured but there's something special about how crisp, detailed and musical it is with the balanced filters + Spinfits. I still get goosebumps every time I listen to them after almost 3 years.
What did you dislike about the 9, if I may ask? I think the FH9 with the player in the photo (Shanling M6 Ultra) i something approaching portable endgame for me! For the tips, I actually was using Spinfits until recently, the CP100. I switched to the AZLA SednaEarfit and it really just took both the FH9 and FH7 over the top for me. The clear highs and THUNDEROUS bass. Next level for dance music heads!

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #1,884 of 1,922
What did you dislike about the 9, if I may ask? I think the FH9 with the player in the photo (Shanling M6 Ultra) i something approaching portable endgame for me! For the tips, I actually was using Spinfits until recently, the CP100. I switched to the AZLA SednaEarfit and it really just took both the FH9 and FH7 over the top for me. The clear highs and THUNDEROUS bass. Next level for dance music heads!
It was the tuning for me. The FH9 were a great set but they lacked the coherence, effortlessness and supreme musicality of the FH7, despite being technically superior. The FH9 tried too hard to be fun for my ears. The bass was large and bombastic at the expense of the other elements at times.

It was actually this song that made up my mind. When it starts there's a crackling of static that slowly wells up beneath the drone until almost equally loud, then cuts out around 0:25. On the FH7 it evokes feeling, there's a strange sense of anticipation and dread, the static travels over your brain and you can feel the little minute spots it touches. On the FH9 that feeling isn't there. It sounds great, but it's not captivating or evocative in that way for me.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #1,885 of 1,922
Gotcha, thank you for the detailed rationale!

Have you tried the FH7S, btw? If so, what do you think?

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #1,886 of 1,922
Gotcha, thank you for the detailed rationale!

Have you tried the FH7S, btw? If so, what do you think?
I haven't. I didn't love the last few FiiO products I tried (FH9, FD7, FD5, BTR7, BTR5 2021). I suspect some person or persons responsible for the development of earlier products isn't there anymore because the sense of great taste that set their products apart isn't there anymore. The fit and tuning of the FD7 was the last straw for me.

Also, I'd be surprised if the DLC DD is as good the beryllium DD in the first one.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #1,887 of 1,922
Hey y’all! Help an old man out here… To keep me from having to reread a year’s worth of posts, can you give me a short list of best ear tips for my FH7. Using CP100s now. I have Spiral Dots en route. The AZLA models look interesting. Looking for clarity and bass that’s clean/impactful. TIA

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,888 of 1,922
Hey y’all! Help an old man out here… To keep me from having to reread a year’s worth of posts, can you give me a short list of best ear tips for my FH7. Using CP100s now. I have Spiral Dots en route. The AZLA models look interesting. Looking for clarity and bass that’s clean/impactful. TIA

with the recent addition of HS18 (FiiO)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17348270

TRI T tips
TRI Clarion tips

Feaulle Latex H570

or

Feaulle Latex H270

on aliexpress

seem to be good candidates.

Not having had personal experience with those tips yet though.

So others need to chime in an report what their experiences are with ear tips :)

FH7 hasn't arrived yet

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #1,889 of 1,922
The CP145 Medium has been my favorite for years now and they come with the set. I wanted to like the AZLA Crystal and Xelastics but the material is a little sticky and not very pliable so they weren't very comfortable for me, ymmv though. What I do when picking tips is to try a bunch and note what I do hear vs what I don't from each set. The FH7 is very revealing for the price which creates a problem since with some tips, the mids and lows will sound fantastic but you lose detail and sharpness in the treble, which is a big deal on this set because it's the treble that creates the sense of air, separation and sparkle that make these a budget endgame option. Go for the best balance where you can hear even the little details clearly.

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #1,890 of 1,922
I was using the CP100 for a while but recently switched to the AZLA SednaEarfit. I think the AZLAs improved bass response (meaning, I hear more quantity) and did a little smoothing out of the low treble. I love the way they make both the FH9 and FH7 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back