FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jun 8, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #2,117 of 2,258
I bought some of those based on Head-Fi comments and they didn't work for me at all - yes the rubber is nice and soft (that's half of what I want) but they didn't offer an insertion depth any deeper than any of the tips that came with the FH5, so they didn't stay in place any better.

I also didn't like what they did to the sound signature of the FH5 when they were in place, so I'm loath to spring for a pair of their CP-240 double flange tips, especially since they're like $15 for a single pair here in Canada.

I note that the pair of double flange tips that come with the FH5 are referred to as "(m)" (medium I presume), @FiiO is there somewhere I can get a "(s)" (small) variant of this double flange tip?

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,118 of 2,258
I bought some of those based on Head-Fi comments and they didn't work for me at all - yes the rubber is nice and soft (that's half of what I want) but they didn't offer an insertion depth any deeper than any of the tips that came with the FH5, so they didn't stay in place any better.

I also didn't like what they did to the sound signature of the FH5 when they were in place, so I'm loath to spring for a pair of their CP-240 double flange tips, especially since they're like $15 for a single pair here in Canada.

I note that the pair of double flange tips that come with the FH5 are referred to as "(m)" (medium I presume), @FiiO is there somewhere I can get a "(s)" (small) variant of this double flange tip?
I found because of the short and wide stem the fh5 does not as well as either of fiio's fa7 or fa1. I wound up using large spinfit ear tips but did work as well as I wanted. This is a problem of non-custom iem's for people like me.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,121 of 2,258
Review:
During these difficult times and due the lack of retailers where I live I decided to try a set of the Fiio FH5 iems. They were discounted from an online retailer and the price was reasonable. I based the decision to buy these on reviews from highly regarded and regularly quoted reviewers here and elsewhere. One reviewer, very highly regarded with his updated lists, rated them a strong B. Another said to stop looking, these are it, he's pretty old now and seems a little confused. One stated that with couple of tweaks these are a as good as $1000 earphones, he is well known in the video format and is praised for his caustic demeanour. One said the were better than Campfire Andromeda's. Based on these "expert " reviews and my own listening experience this is my take.
Overall quality: good
Cable: stiff but adequate
Fit: I used CA marshmallows and the my Custom Art custom iem tips ( they fit ) The fit was OK with the marshmallows and exact with the customs tips.
Tweaks. I removed the little screens and adjusted the EQ as 2 reviewer suggested.
Played on. Sony Nw zx300 4.4 balanced
Pono 2x3.5 balanced
Questyle QP1R 3.5 stereo
Tunes: A selection of Hi-Res test tracks
Comparison IEM's: Custom Art fibae2(Poland). Accuphase custom (Canada), Campfire Andromeda with custom tips (USA).
Results: The comparison iem's all sounded as expected for the price paid. The Accuphase are O.K but not tonally sufficient. The Custom Art are great and have always sounded good with everything thrown at them. The Andromeda's are exceptional. The Fiio FH5 iem is an insult to my equipment and my ears. These were devoid of a soundstage. Bass was flat and lost in the general cacophony these things reproduced. Mids were flat and there was no presence. Highs were there but again, flat. These sounded all the world like something from a 90's walkman, the cassette type.
The reviewer who claimed they were better than Andromedas, shame on you, you must work for Fiio. To the other reviewers with their glowing praise, I am surprised. You get to listen to dozens of products so you know is good and what isn't. These Fiio FH5 are not good for $300 or for $30. They are up for sale at a discount because I don't even want them in my space.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #2,122 of 2,258
Review:
During these difficult times and due the lack of retailers where I live I decided to try a set of the Fiio FH5 iems. They were discounted from an online retailer and the price was reasonable. I based the decision to buy these on reviews from highly regarded and regularly quoted reviewers here and elsewhere. One reviewer, very highly regarded with his updated lists, rated them a strong B. Another said to stop looking, these are it, he's pretty old now and seems a little confused. One stated that with couple of tweaks these are a as good as $1000 earphones, he is well known in the video format and is praised for his caustic demeanour. One said the were better than Campfire Andromeda's. Based on these "expert " reviews and my own listening experience this is my take.
Overall quality: good
Cable: stiff but adequate
Fit: I used CA marshmallows and the my Custom Art custom iem tips ( they fit ) The fit was OK with the marshmallows and exact with the customs tips.
Tweaks. I removed the little screens and adjusted the EQ as 2 reviewer suggested.
Played on. Sony Nw zx300 4.4 balanced
Pono 2x3.5 balanced
Questyle QP1R 3.5 stereo
Tunes: A selection of Hi-Res test tracks
Comparison IEM's: Custom Art fibae2(Poland). Accuphase custom (Canada), Campfire Andromeda with custom tips (USA).
Results: The comparison iem's all sounded as expected for the price paid. The Accuphase are O.K but not tonally sufficient. The Custom Art are great and have always sounded good with everything thrown at them. The Andromeda's are exceptional. The Fiio FH5 iem is an insult to my equipment and my ears. These were devoid of a soundstage. Bass was flat and lost in the general cacophony these things reproduced. Mids were flat and there was no presence. Highs were there but again, flat. These sounded all the world like something from a 90's walkman, the cassette type.
The reviewer who claimed they were better than Andromedas, shame on you, you must work for Fiio. To the other reviewers with their glowing praise, I am surprised. You get to listen to dozens of products so you know is good and what isn't. These Fiio FH5 are not good for $300 or for $30. They are up for sale at a discount because I don't even want them in my space.
It seems you believe in absolutes and ignore Einstein's Special theory of Relativity or Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, your view is merely relative to you and is appreciated as an opinion. :)

I have both the fiio fa7 and fh5 and prefer the fa7 but still use the fh5 with my complaint being a poor fit for me due to short and wide nozzle.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #2,123 of 2,258
It seems you believe in absolutes and ignore Einstein's Special theory of Relativity or Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, your view is merely relative to you and is appreciated as an opinion. :)

I have both the fiio fa7 and fh5 and prefer the fa7 but still use the fh5 with my complaint being a poor fit for me due to short and wide nozzle.
My opinion is based on a comparative listening to these and 3 others that I own on 3 different dap players. The sound they produced was poor in comparison. The reviews were inaccurate and probably biased. I purchased these based on "expert" reviews. Do you have any "good" earphones to do a proper comparison?

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,124 of 2,258
My opinion is based on a comparative listening to these and 3 others that I own on 3 different dap players. The sound they produced was poor in comparison. The reviews were inaccurate and probably biased. I purchased these based on "expert" reviews. Do you have any "good" earphones to do a proper comparison?
I have no argument with your point of view relative to yourself; I take exception to an absolute expressed opinion that subjugates that view to others. My point of view I tried to express is there are no absolutes as shown in relation to time or quantum physics and that would certainly apply to the subjective interpretation of a listening to music judgement.

It is this subjective value that gives the rise to the many forms of music which too is not an absolute but an art form. In any regard I have nothing further to add. :)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,125 of 2,258
I have no argument with your point of view relative to yourself; I take exception to an absolute expressed opinion that subjugates that view to others. My point of view I tried to express is there are no absolutes as shown in relation to time or quantum physics and that would certainly apply to the subjective interpretation of a listening to music judgement.

It is this subjective value that gives the rise to the many forms of music which too is not an absolute but an art form. In any regard I have nothing further to add. :)
The point I was making is this: These ear phones received countless positive reviews from known highly regarded reviewers. These earphones were described by many as having audio characteristics that far surpassed ear phones of much greater cost. This is simply not true. They are flat, have no soundstage, are muddy are and an insult to me who, up until now, looked to these reviewers for unbiased and accurate advice. In these difficult times references the reality that you can not audition ear phones any more for fear of the disease. All I have left is the good advice of reviewers. Have you listened to good ear phones? If you haven't then your opinion is as invalid as you say mine is. And yes, there are absolutes and these ear phones are absolutely dreadful.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #2,126 of 2,258

Nothing wrong arguing, but Einstein’s and Heisenberg’s work are basically totally unrelated to opinions about IEMs. Did you really mean to invoke “Relativism” instead?

Back on topic, I have owned some audio equipment that gets praised but I thought was a near complete waste of money.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2,127 of 2,258
Nothing wrong arguing, but Einstein’s and Heisenberg’s work are basically totally unrelated to opinions about IEMs. Did you really mean to invoke “Relativism” instead?

Back on topic, I have owned some audio equipment that gets praised but I thought was a near complete waste of money.
No, I did not imply Rene Descartes's relativity, but a more scientific one that in terms of Einstein, Heisenberg, and quantum mechanics that erased the idea of an absolute in terms of time or location.

My complaint was not about an opinion. but one with that implied certainty beyond reproach; this is dogma and no longer opinion.

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #2,128 of 2,258
No, I did not imply Rene Descartes's relativity, but a more scientific one that in terms of Einstein, Heisenberg, and quantum mechanics that erased the idea of an absolute in terms of time or location.

My complaint was not about an opinion. but one with that implied certainty beyond reproach; this is dogma and no longer opinion.
I was stating fact. The Fiio FH5 was highly reviewed and touted as capable and almost equal to much pricier ear phones. In my comparison it was not even close. Again, they are flat, have no soundstage, little bass and a muddy sound signature. But for all I know these could be Chi-fi at it's best. These are my first Chinese made earphones. And my last. Once again, have you listened to good quality earphones? If you had you would know what I mean.

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,129 of 2,258

Then please explain, using the proper mathematical equations, how Einstein’s general theory of relativity and Heisenberg’s work apply to Rosiedog’s opinion of the FH5.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #2,130 of 2,258
Then please explain, using the proper mathematical equations, how Einstein’s general theory of relativity and Heisenberg’s work apply to Rosiedog’s opinion of the FH5.
Simply put any review is relative and not an absolute; it is an opinion. I have the fiio fh5 and my experience with it as compared to my other iem's does not match my experience the reviewer expressed

Neither of us is right or wrong; it is merely relative and hence a subjective view point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back