FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jan 11, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #2,087 of 2,258
Yes, they test their products, but not with your ears.
The fact that so many people have fitting problems kind of makes your comment irrelevant and unnecessary, maybe you think you are smart and/or funny. You are neither, but hey, keep going if it makes you happy. I also have a M9 which I love but with a long story of problems most of them solved months after its release. Fiio is a good but young brand that can't spend as much money in research as giants like older, more established brands. I understand to a point , but when you spend almost 300 dollars in an IEM, it has to be above the average product and that includes testing.

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,088 of 2,258
Hey slick, go take a chill pill. As a matter of fact, I am funny and I am smart, at least smarter than you to realize that earphone companies mostly use head dummies to test their headphones. You or me may end up with a good, bad, or indifferent fit. "They test their products but not with your ears". My quote is neither funny or smart, but only factual. Speaking of trying to be smart and funny, you should know that Fiio, a highly respected brand on this forum, tests their products.

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #2,089 of 2,258
Returned mine as well. Don't they test their products?
I couldnt get a good fit. It sounded flat, lifless.

They actually test all their products, and for the most part do a pretty good job. The issue with the FH5 is that it is a shallow fitting IEM with a short nozzle. I wish all IEM manufacturers would make their nozzles slightly longer, but that would only suit "some" ears. Generally with a shallow fitting IEM you'll need a larger size than you'd usually use. I also recommend foam as its harder to seal a wide canal opening with silicone.

Perhaps look at Comply Comfort Series - https://www.complyfoam.com/products/ts-series/

I personally just use Shure Olives and stretch them to fit.

And expat is correct - FiiO can't plan for all ear shapes - same as any other manufacturer. Sad for those of us with non-standard ears. But its reality

Jan 12, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #2,090 of 2,258
Respectfully I disagree, they do not test enought, just check the M9 thread, lots of complaints, some are fair and some not so much. The common belief is that clients shouldn't be used as testers, and it took months for the M9 to work properly. The Fh5 hasn't had as many issues being as it is a simpler device but still...

As for expat he should be less arrogant and respect other people opinions and do not behave as a fanboy that gets hurt when somebody talks about their favorite brand. Sorry but I have zero tolerance for that. I am too old and I take crap from no one. If that is a problem just let me know and I will take my unpopular opinions else where.

Jan 12, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2,091 of 2,258
They actually test all their products, and for the most part do a pretty good job. The issue with the FH5 is that it is a shallow fitting IEM with a short nozzle. I wish all IEM manufacturers would make their nozzles slightly longer, but that would only suit "some" ears. Generally with a shallow fitting IEM you'll need a larger size than you'd usually use. I also recommend foam as its harder to seal a wide canal opening with silicone.

Perhaps look at Comply Comfort Series - https://www.complyfoam.com/products/ts-series/

I personally just use Shure Olives and stretch them to fit.

And expat is correct - FiiO can't plan for all ear shapes - same as any other manufacturer. Sad for those of us with non-standard ears. But its reality

As for the eartips thanks, I have spent so much money in eartips that I could have bought another set of headphones. I haven't tried the comply but have tried dekonis, symbios and many others. But hey at least I discovered that the symbios are great for my Blond.:)

Jan 12, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,092 of 2,258
Davidibizza: I am probably older than you and more experienced in life (rertired military). You assume I am a Fiio fanboy, but you are wrong, I am not. Remember ass/u/me. So your a tough guy and don't take crap from anybody, hehe, your a comedian. Sell your FH5 and quit whinning.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2,093 of 2,258
Super disappointed in FiiO right now. I have been trying to contact support via email and even through Amazon, to buy certain replacement tips (the large extra bass silicon). They just seem to ignore me. They will answer at Amazon, and say something like "I will let you know price" then, Nothing.

I have lots of FiiO gear, but customer service seems non existant.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #2,100 of 2,258
Hi @FiiO,

I bought the FH5 a few days ago and i love them. The sound difference between the FH5 and Sennheiser IE80 (my old headphones now) is quite remarkable. The sound layering is so good, that i can pin point where every instrument sits and plays. I was worried a little bit about the fitting since they are bigger than the IE80, but i can say that the FH5 are even more comfortable, and ergonomic.

I have one curiosity if you can shed some light.

It is regarding the 2 BA drivers for the high frequencies. As i understand, an electronic crossover is used for every driver. Now, since my hearing and i think i am speaking for majority of users, is maximum 15 khz, i want to know what is the cutoff frequency for these 2 tweeters. I understand that one driver renders, let's say, the lower highs, and the other one, the higher ones (please correct me if i am wrong). I would like to know if the driver that renders the higher frequencies is above or below 15Khz. And if so, by how much.

By the way, as a source, i am using my trusty X3II which works flawlessly from the day i bought it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back