FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #2,146 of 2,258
i bought a pair recently and noticed that there is a notable hiss from the IEMs whenever music is not playing + one of the connectors seems loose inside the housing of the IEM because the cable rotates freely for a bit and then gets stuck and barely moves. its difficult to explain but the right IEM has a sturdy MMCX connector that barely alows the cable to rotate while the left IEM has a loose connector. And i'm a bit worried that this will break with time

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #2,147 of 2,258
I am stuck between Fiio FH5 and HD6XX.

I have BTR5 as my DAC. And Fidelio X2hr and 1more quads as daily drivers. I listen to almost everything (TOOL, Led Zeppelin, Pop, etc) except classical. I feel my X2HRs are bit too sibilant/harsh and has recessed mids.
I am leaning more towards FH5. I don't care portability much. I need fun to listen headphone/IEM with clarity and sound separation & good sound quality. Which of these 2 do you think I should go with? Why?

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #2,148 of 2,258
i bought a pair recently and noticed that there is a notable hiss from the IEMs whenever music is not playing + one of the connectors seems loose inside the housing of the IEM because the cable rotates freely for a bit and then gets stuck and barely moves. its difficult to explain but the right IEM has a sturdy MMCX connector that barely alows the cable to rotate while the left IEM has a loose connector. And i'm a bit worried that this will break with time
Dear user,

The rotation is fine is the sound is normal. And we also provide one-year warranty. If there are any problem with your FH5, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 31, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #2,149 of 2,258
I always find it interesting to see people discuss how iems fit for them. I think I am in the minority for a guy, in that I have a rather uncommon ear shape. I often have issues with fit due to the shape of my outer ear, rather than my inner ear. With many full sized iems, where the shell fully sits outside of the ear, it just never allows me to form a correct seal. I tried out the MEE Audio Pinnacle P1, and no matter what I did, I could not get a proper seal at all. The reason for this, was because the shape of the shell just did not conform to the shape of my outer ear properly at all. I have had the same experience with several other pairs I have tried as well. As a result, they would constantly break the seal, so I had to return them for a refund. Of all the ones I have tried so far, the FH5 is the one that actually fits my ear properly. Once I got the FH5, it was a completely different experience. When I put these iems on, it feels like it was made for the shape of my outer ear, and it sits perfectly. Getting and maintaining a seal is not an issue at all with these, and comfort is fantastic. It feels like it was made for my ear. I have had them for about 3 weeks now and it is great to have some iems that finally fit me properly.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #2,150 of 2,258
Regarding the tips, I have found the balanced tips to sound the best. The bass tips just push the low frequencies way too forward. This iem does not need any additional bass added with tips. I have not tried any aftermarket tips yet. I am getting the best fit with the included double flange balanced tips.

Edit: I should have mentioned as well that my FH5 is the black version.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #2,151 of 2,258
Has anyone here been able to get some picture of the grey and black FH5 side by side to verify that the nozzle on the black one is longer ? I am curious if the improved fit claims by Fiio are just a result of the included double flange tips, or because the nozzle on the black one is actually longer. I have never tried the grey version before myself. I have no issues with getting a good fit and seal with my black FH5.

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #2,152 of 2,258
After owning the Fiio FH5 for close to a month now, I will say it is an excellent buy for anyone who can get a good fit. I am still totally blown away by the fit of these iems. I can wear them for hours without any discomfort. This is actually the most comfortable in ear monitor I have had to date. It fits me better than any other I have ever tried. I can barely feel them on the outside of my ears when I have them on. I never did put up my thoughts about the sound of the Fiio FH5, so I should do that now as well. This is an excellent iem for the price.

The bass extension is impressive, and gets right down in the 30Hz region without any issues. Bass is articulate, punchy, detailed, and quick. This iem is a real foot tapper with a very addictive sound quality. I love the fact that the FH5 does not have any mid bass bloom. This is something that is so common in iems these days, and it always ends up bleeding into the mids. The FH5 does not suffer from this issue at all. In fact, the bass response on this iem is very close to the harman response curve (with the balanced tips). It just sounds complete and correct. Imaging on this iem and instrument separation are excellent. Instrument have excellent layering and sound clean and defined. Various small details are fully noticed within the music.

Soundstage has nice depth and width. I have seen some people claim this iem has a narrow soundstage. This is just simply not true. If this is happening, it must be an issue with the equipment the iems are paired with. With my FH5, I now have the Hiby R3 Pro DAP and Fiio A5 headphone amp. Using these iems with this setup definitely offers an excellent soundstage response. I did have the Fiio M6, but ended up returning it for a refund after I owned it for about a week and a half. I will admit that with that DAP the soundstage width was just average. Soundstage capabilities noticeably improved once paired the FH5 with the Hiby R3 Pro.

As it is with every headphone and earphone, the FH5 is not perfect. The mids have an interesting tuning. Vocals are a bit too forward. Right at 1.5-2.5kHz there is a bit too much of a peak, and then things are a bit too dipped at 4kHz. This is very easily fixed with a slight EQ adjustment. Treble response is clean and smooth. This headphone does not suffer from any issues with being harsh or piercing in its treble response at all. In fact, there is a bit of missing energy at 10kHz, but once again, it is very easy to correct with EQ as well. In terms of EQ adjustements, this iem does not require much adjustment to end up sounding completely correct. I think the FH5 is a must buy for anyone looking for an iem in around the 300 dollar price range. I would suggest buying the black version though like I did. The double flange tips make a huge difference in getting a correct fit inside the ear canal. I highly recommend it and I think Fiio did an excellent job.

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #2,153 of 2,258
Hi Fiio,

I have owned my black FH5s for some time and love the superb bass and detail. However, the ear guides on the stock cable often rub against the temples of my spectacles, leading to microphonics and discomfort whenever I move my head. I bought your RC-MMCX3S separately, hoping that the thinner ear guides would solve this problem (they did), but they created another problem - the straight MMCX connectors prevent the FH5s from sitting properly in my ears.

Could you please advise on whether the ear guides on the LC-3.5D are made of a softer material and would solve my problem OR if Fiio will be releasing any new MMCX cable options soon? Alternatively, would I be able to cut the ear guide portion off my stock cable without significant damage? What I am trying to achieve is to have a cable with softer ear guides similar to those on the FD1 (which I recently purchased and are great, by the way) and an angled MMCX connector.

Thank you!

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #2,154 of 2,258
I ended up testing out the vocal tips tonight. I get an excellent fit with the medium size tips. I have to say that I think this is best sounding tips to use with this iem. The 4-10kHz region opens up nicely with these tips. Instrument separation, micro detail retrieval, and soundstage also improves. Sibilance is not an issue at all. With these tips though, a - 2 reduction needs to be applied to 2kHz. Otherwise, the vocals are just too up front. After this, the sound quality is just excellent, balanced, neutral, clean and detailed.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,155 of 2,258
Happy owner of the FH5. Very impressed with the fit of it too. Coming from AKG N40 these were huge and weighty in comparison but it’s pleasant to wear with good isolation. Thought I’d notice the extra weight of it but nope.

I’ve had a read through this thread and it does seem like the double flange tip was the added extra to help with fit issues. There never was confirmation from Fiio about increase in nozzle length. Think they would’ve made a bigger deal marketing a physical upgrade.

Really enjoying the sound quality most notably the bass. Being a bass head I love being enveloped by the sub bass. I mainly listen to Hip Hop, various dance genres and occasionally classical, the FH5 has been a joy to listen with.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #2,156 of 2,258
Took delivery of a pair of these this afternoon, and I'm pleased on first impressions. I've never used IEMs before, having exclusively used full sized headphones over the last few years with the exception of some Monks when I didn't want the weight of them. I jumped immediately to the double flanged tips after finding the stock ones a little loose, and they just slotted in easy.

So far I've thrown some Silbelius string quartets, Scott Walker's Tilt and now Charles Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner Lady at them, and I have no complaints about the tonal balance. It's fairly different to my mainstay Fidelio X2s, but enjoyable.

I'm very surprised at how pleasant they are to listen to at fairly low volumes too.

Nice job Fiio.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #2,157 of 2,258
Took delivery of a pair of these this afternoon, and I'm pleased on first impressions. I've never used IEMs before, having exclusively used full sized headphones over the last few years with the exception of some Monks when I didn't want the weight of them. I jumped immediately to the double flanged tips after finding the stock ones a little loose, and they just slotted in easy.

So far I've thrown some Silbelius string quartets, Scott Walker's Tilt and now Charles Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner Lady at them, and I have no complaints about the tonal balance. It's fairly different to my mainstay Fidelio X2s, but enjoyable.

I'm very surprised at how pleasant they are to listen to at fairly low volumes too.

Nice job Fiio.
They are good and I have and still use a set, but because of a short and wide nozzle they are among the hardest fiio iem to fit ear tips.

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,158 of 2,258

Nice job Fiio.

It was my second or third iem pair, I have such a personal attachment with em, it will never disappoint you, it doesn’t make anything wrong, it’s like a really nice old friend that won’t let you down ever

Even my daily driver gives me a couple of headaches, and then is when I go back to my fh5, seriously such a lush and nice headphone with the most versatile sound signature

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,159 of 2,258
I'm just relieved that they suit my ears well, considering the problems some people have had getting the fit right. I just wanted a 'buy once and forget about it' solution for some closed back earphones for when the missus is watching TV and open backs cause us both to be disturbed. I don't want to get into an IEM buying spree haha.

These should do nicely.

The only puzzling thing is that, when plugged into the E10k using my PC as a source and with nothing playing, they have a fairly loud hum. As soon as I play anything, the hum disappears completely. When plugged into my phone jack, there is no noise whatsoever.

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #2,160 of 2,258
Here’s a couple of photos I took in July last year when comparing the nozzles of the FH7, FH5 Black and FH5 Grey. Looking back I think FiiO did changed the nozzles of the original FH5 and also modified slightly the shell part that connects to the nozzle. In the photos, you can see the FH5 Black nozzle/lip is different and the hump after the nozzle is slightly raised too.

With the changes it is possible the FH5 Black can be better fitted to some (fit is subjective and depends on individual ears anatomy). It fits great for me and I still love the FH5 for its nice bass and tonal balance.

FH7, FH5 Black and FH5 Grey - Nozzles Comparison:
66A24581-78BF-43EA-9F2A-E9150CF2E70D.jpeg
F23D59CF-992E-4D6F-A67D-E05BF0B132B4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back