FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Nov 11, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #1,264 of 2,258
can anyone compare these to Shure SE535? (price is not an issue)
I posted a comparison of the FH5 to both the Shure SE535LTD and the Grado GR10e, here.
Below is the three-way comparison table on each of 10 acoustic features, as explained more in the post just referenced. Higher numbers are better.
GR10e SE5353LTD FH5.jpg

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #1,265 of 2,258
I posted a comparison of the FH5 to both the Shure SE535LTD and the Grado GR10e, here.
Below is the three-way comparison table on each of 10 acoustic features, as explained more in the post just referenced. Higher numbers are better.
Thanks for the analysis. Is there a particular reason why those criterias were chosen, among the many possibilities? Because, depending on what tests you select, one may have more advantage over the other. A bias based on selection of criterias.

You also find the sound stage of FH5 to be the larger one? Because some people would disagree? Which boggles my mind. @Brooko says it's because mids are up. I just hear it as spacious.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #1,266 of 2,258
@SilverEars , the Grado GR10e seems to have a particularly small sound stage, so both other IEMs could easily be larger (and are) without necessarily being particularly large. In fact, just as the Sennheiser HdD800 is well known in the headphone domain for its large soundstage, I wonder what the counterpart to a large soundstage IEM would be. Any ideas?

When I first joined head-fi in 2014, I posted a query asking folk to indicate what acoustic features they looked for in a headphone. Based on those comments (and based on advice received that each person has different preferences), I chose the 10 features that I did. Over the past four years, I have conducted well over 100 comparisons using that same feature set, providing a common reference basis, for good or for bad, to hold fixed as I compare various headphones. They are not without omission or fault — for example, there is no measure of vocal quality included. Furthermore, the simple rank ordering of three headphones at a time into first, second, and third place on each feature (rather than attempting to do an absolute rating of say high, medium, or low) tends to make small differences in performance on a acoustic feature seem larger than it is (and also tends to understate huge differences). However, it seems to me more error prone to try to rate, say, the soundstage of a headphone as H, M, or L in an absolute (rather than a comparative) sense, as that requires an attempt to figure out what an “average” sound stage across all headphones would be and how the headphone being examined compare to that average.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #1,267 of 2,258
My Dekoni tips showed up today and they sound substantially better than the Comply tips. As of now, I’ll happily be sticking with them unless the Symbio W tips sound better.I’m still waiting on those to arrive.

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #1,268 of 2,258
You give fh5 the highest mark for the width of the stage? FH5 has relatively
narrow soundstage, compare with IT04 exactly. Very starnge. 1 point for clarity?? IMHO clarity is one of best between IEM.Tastes differ. Well that bought them not on this benchmark, imho it is completly wrong

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #1,269 of 2,258
20181112_013022.jpg
narrow soundstage, compare with IT04 exactly. Very starnge. 1 point for clarity?? IMHO clarity is one of best between IEM.Tastes differ. Well that bought them not on this benchmark, imho it is completly wrong

I have to agree as well. The Fiio FH5 has some of the best clarity and separation I've heard. The soundstage is quite small though.

To all of those with seal issues, try generic triple flange silicones with the foam from Symbios. This creates a perfect seal with the Fiio FH5 and the IMR R1 which are both incredibly difficult to seal. This will improve the bass/mids/isolation as well with such a vacuum seal. They are annoying to get used to but in a couple of days, you'll won't even notice it and never use another tip again!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #1,270 of 2,258

You have to remember though - each comparison is subjective, and can depend on things like the music one is listening to, the tips and insertion depth, the angle of your canals, and especially things like listening volume. Telling someone their own opinion (in a very subjective hobby) is completely wrong in itself.

For instance I owned the SE535 Ltd, ahve the FH5 (sadly haven't heard the GR10E), and my own opinions are very coloured by my own individual tastes and physiology. For instance I know that I am very sensitive to the upper mid-range, and too much of a bump in the 1-2 kHz (especially sharp rises and drops) can definitely affect my views of an earphone. I really like the FH5, but the mid-range a lot of people really like - over time causes me fatigue. its a pity because I really like almost everything else about it. I sold my SE535 Ltd for the same reason - after a while the very forward mid-range just became a little "too much".

Whilst I don't agree with all of ruthieandjohn's comparisons between FH5 and SE535 Ltd, I do understand them, and can also relate to them.

When I am comparing sound-stage width and depth, I use a combination of three tracks:
- Tundra (Amber Rubarth) - a binaural track which is great for measuring both depth and width + imaging.
- Lakme's Flower Duet (Anna Netrebko & Elina Garanča) - I have a live version which is perfect, especially for depth. In the live performance, both performers use the stage, including retiring to the rear of the stage. Very few IEM's convey this well.
- Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennit) - another live track (album is Live in Paris & Toronto), and one where I have the recording in high-res, but also have the video, so I know exact positioning on stage. There is an applause section at the end of this track, and it can give cues for width and depth, as well as the shape of a perceived sound-stage (great for determining if there is too much width and not enough depth).

Others will use completely different recordings, and that will give them completely different results.

I like ruthieandjohn's method though - consistency with tests - and that can give relative results. In this hobby where there is so much subjectivity, that is the real key - consistency. The other one is experience. Those who have more experience with a large number of tests/comparisons can often be more valuable. My earlier reviews (when I look back on them) were pretty naive - not because they were bad reviews, but because I didn't have enough experience to know what really good (to my ears) sounded like :)

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,271 of 2,258
You have to remember though - each comparison is subjective, and can depend on things like the music one is listening to, the tips and insertion depth, the angle of your canals, and especially things like listening volume. Telling someone their own opinion (in a very subjective hobby) is completely wrong in itself.

For instance I owned the SE535 Ltd, ahve the FH5 (sadly haven't heard the GR10E), and my own opinions are very coloured by my own individual tastes and physiology. For instance I know that I am very sensitive to the upper mid-range, and too much of a bump in the 1-2 kHz (especially sharp rises and drops) can definitely affect my views of an earphone. I really like the FH5, but the mid-range a lot of people really like - over time causes me fatigue. its a pity because I really like almost everything else about it. I sold my SE535 Ltd for the same reason - after a while the very forward mid-range just became a little "too much".

Whilst I don't agree with all of ruthieandjohn's comparisons between FH5 and SE535 Ltd, I do understand them, and can also relate to them.

When I am comparing sound-stage width and depth, I use a combination of three tracks:
- Tundra (Amber Rubarth) - a binaural track which is great for measuring both depth and width + imaging.
- Lakme's Flower Duet (Anna Netrebko & Elina Garanča) - I have a live version which is perfect, especially for depth. In the live performance, both performers use the stage, including retiring to the rear of the stage. Very few IEM's convey this well.
- Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennit) - another live track (album is Live in Paris & Toronto), and one where I have the recording in high-res, but also have the video, so I know exact positioning on stage. There is an applause section at the end of this track, and it can give cues for width and depth, as well as the shape of a perceived sound-stage (great for determining if there is too much width and not enough depth).

Others will use completely different recordings, and that will give them completely different results.

I like ruthieandjohn's method though - consistency with tests - and that can give relative results. In this hobby where there is so much subjectivity, that is the real key - consistency. The other one is experience. Those who have more experience with a large number of tests/comparisons can often be more valuable. My earlier reviews (when I look back on them) were pretty naive - not because they were bad reviews, but because I didn't have enough experience to know what really good (to my ears) sounded like :)
Is it wronger than you insinuating that you are better because you reviewed and should be on front page or are better than others?

Stating all subjective is just an arbitrary statement. We can all make such remarks and nothing of perspective could be resulted. It's all about one's honest opinions, and transparency of putting what is necessary to be out there, or there wouldn't be enough real statistical data. Reviewer is just among many, and isn't any more special than another.

When it comes to subjectivism, a random samping of a group is stronger than is a single.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,272 of 2,258
You are right that tastes are different. But there are absolute things. For example, if the headphones have a dam at a low frequency of -10 dB, no one will say that they are bass. This is mistake. When we talk about the scene, we need to remember the physiology. The human ear determines the positioning of sources by HF. And Fiio on HF does not stand out. So I will stay with the opinion that the wide stage fiio is a mistake

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #1,273 of 2,258
Is it wronger than you insinuating that you are better because you reviewed and should be on front page or are better than others?

Stating all subjective is just an arbitrary statement. We can all make such remarks and nothing of perspective could be resulted. It's all about one's honest opinions, and transparency of putting what is necessary to be out there, or there wouldn't be enough real statistical data. Reviewer is just among many, and isn't any more special than another.

When it comes to subjectivism, a random samping of a group is stronger than is a single.

Where the heck did that come from? Where did I insinuate that in my post? In fact I mentioned nothing of the sort. Suggest you re-read my post.

And no - "stating all subjective is just an arbitrary statement" couldn't be further from the truth.

Stating a review is wrong because you don't agree with it (which is what i was commenting on when I made that post) is the very essence of subjectivity.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #1,274 of 2,258
I'll just add a little practical (completely non-subjective) note that in the UK the Grado GR10e cost £411, the Shure SE535 cost £396 (SE535-VE £439) and the FiiO FH5 cost £229. I know people asked for comparison with the Shures, but it doesn't seem a very fair comparison to make to me. All the prices were amazon.co.uk - I'm sure you can find special deals for all of these that might be a little less.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #1,275 of 2,258
Where the heck did that come from? Where did I insinuate that in my post? In fact I mentioned nothing of the sort. Suggest you re-read my post.

And no - "stating all subjective is just an arbitrary statement" couldn't be further from the truth.

Stating a review is wrong because you don't agree with it (which is what i was commenting on when I made that post) is the very essence of subjectivity.
It comes from your blog and also your previous two postings before the above one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back