FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
May 26, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,909 of 2,258
okay, i dont want to argue here....

No point - I can show you the measured frequency response. Facts can't be questioned as untrue :wink:

May 26, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,910 of 2,258
May 29, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #1,914 of 2,258
As Paul pointed out, with FH5, the mids were too forward. Way too forward for me to recommend easily to anyone

With FA7, the mids were lovely, but the bass and especially mid bass were too forward, it is extremely warm, lush and thick.

Thing is, I found FA7 to be far more enjoyable than FH5. They have the same resolution give or take, they use the same drivers, after all, the main difference is that FH7 has attenuated then midrange forwardness which killed the impression of midrange detail for some users.

But, in the long run, I can stand the thickness of FA7, it is a bit of a one-trick pony, but the actual enjoyment is higher on FA7, at least if you put in some punchy and deep music, you're set for fun. With FH5, it seems that a lot of people really loved that kind of sound. Wasn't my first choice, and I am a bit reticent to recommend it if you don't like a more forward midrange. FA7 surely is sweet and clear, despite being really thick and lush. FA7 feels more punchy, FH5 more deep.

Thanks for your thoughts. I now have an FH5 and FA7 here. Limited listening so far but and I'm definitely hearing better detail retrieval with FH5 on some music. For example the opening drums on Kiko by Dead Can Dance you hear the fine detail of the drum reverberating whereas with FA7 that is lost. FH5 does seem too forward for certain music without using EQ. Is there a way to EQ the FA7 to get some of the FH5 detail or is that just how it is? My initial thought is it seems each one does certain types of music better than the other.

Any suggestion on balanced 2.5 cables? I have an ES100 which has a balanced output. Should I get the Fiio 2.5B or 2.5C or something else? I tried a HiFiHear 8 core silver plated copper 2.5 cable and it seems to produce less bass than the stock Fiio 3.5 cable that came in the box, so I'm not sure I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #1,915 of 2,258
Thanks for your thoughts. I now have an FH5 and FA7 here. Limited listening so far but and I'm definitely hearing better detail retrieval with FH5 on some music. For example the opening drums on Kiko by Dead Can Dance you hear the fine detail of the drum reverberating whereas with FA7 that is lost. FH5 seems too forward for certain music without using EQ. Is there a way to EQ the FA7 to get some of the FH5 detail or is that just how it is? My initial thought is it seems each one does certain types of music better than the other.
These were my impressions as well. The FH5 is definitely more resolving/clear than the FA7 in my system, mainly because the midbass seems to bloom over some of the lower midrange details and the sub bass is more subdued as well. Your description of the ‘detail of the drum reverberating’ is exactly where the sub bass of the FH5 and linear midbass come into play. As soon as you have midbass bloom you lose that sub bass reverb, which is what I look for in a headphone/IEM. That said the FH5 can be a bit forward on tracks that were mastered with more forward vocals, or with little bass to balance out the mids. So yes, each IEM would have its uses but I think it’s much easier to EQ out the midrange peak from the FH5 than it is to remove the mid bass bloom from the FA7, which is why I ultimately kept the FH5.

I was hoping the FH7 would maintain or improve the bass delivery (quantity and quality) of the FH5 while taking the midrange peak, but from early impressions it seems that while the midrange peak has been tamed, its come at the cost of bass quantity and also increased treble. I’ll have to hear it for myself to know for sure.

May 29, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #1,916 of 2,258
Hi guys, the FA7 has a more mature tuning and is a viable alternative to the awesome FH5. Do read about it here.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/22133/

FA7-09.jpg

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,917 of 2,258
I can't seem to take out the right side mmcx of my fh5. It's really loose plus I am already noticing some sound cut-off. Is changing the cable fix the sound cut off? I want to change the cable but no matter how hard I try, I couldn't take out the right mmcx connector. Help anyone?

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,918 of 2,258
I can't seem to take out the right side mmcx of my fh5. It's really loose plus I am already noticing some sound cut-off. Is changing the cable fix the sound cut off? I want to change the cable but no matter how hard I try, I couldn't take out the right mmcx connector. Help anyone?
Could you post some pics of the mmxc connectors in both cable and fh5. There is a little ring in the mmxc cable that maybe is loose or missing that could explain the loose connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back