FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jun 2, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #1,924 of 2,258
Janjohnnn: I have the Fidue A83, which came with a thin metal guitar pick thing which you can use to gently pry open the mmcx connector. Do you have any kind of of object similar to that, you could use?
Oohh I'll try and find something later. Thanks!

Edit: I tried it though it still pretty hard. How do you exactly pry and open the mmcx connector? Im really sorry, im very bad at these.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,925 of 2,258
Ohh. The problem is, I can't take out the right side.

I just need to replace the cable, i don't want to fix the loose connector anymore. I can take out the left (blue) mmcx but the right side is impossible.
Dear friend,

Please try this to see if it helps:
upload_2019-6-3_11-5-3.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,928 of 2,258
Does anyone who replaced their stock FH5 cable want to part with their original? I personally love the stock cable and want to get a replacement, but Fiio doesn't sell it. Anyone got one they want to sell?

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,931 of 2,258
Dear friend,

Please try this to see if it helps:

Best regards
I tried everything. I still couldn't detach the right cable. The left though was very easy. I don't know what to do now :frowning2: This is my first ever IEM

I watched all the tutorials on YouTube but it still too hard. No matter how much force I apply without damaging the connector it still won't detach :frowning2: Sucks, I only had these for 5 months and I never dropped the iem or snap the mmcx connector or whatever. I must got a defective one, I wished I knew it earlier so I would have returned them. Oh well, im just going to enjoy these till the right side dies out.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,932 of 2,258
I tried everything. I still couldn't detach the right cable. The left though was very easy. I don't know what to do now :frowning2: This is my first ever IEM

I personally just grab the MMCX plug from the connection point with my thumb and middle part of my index finger (like playing thumb wars). Squeeze which applies pressure on top of the iem while holding the cable. Works like a charm. I avoid wiggling to avoid premature wear on the connection.

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #1,933 of 2,258
Adding photo and FR of the mod:

Stock (grey) damper replaced by brown one and micropore with a small hole

Effect of micropore (ignore bass rollof, bad seal).
blue = stock / white = micropore

Percieved changes are actually bigger than seen in FR above, the 2k doesn´t "resonate" anymore, CSD confirms that, but I don´t have accurate rig so uploading it here would be meaningless..

Effect of changing grey damper to brown. You can use some stronger dampers - green or red one, if you still find 7k too prominent, but brown works for me. Great thing about knowles dampers is that in this case it actually attentuates only 4-10kHz withouth affecting air above 10k that much :)
white = micropore / brown = micropore + brown damper

The small 1.5k bump is from dynamic driver (no crossover..), it can also be tamed as seen few pages back, but I actually prefer it like this.

(previous bunch of measurements)

I have had my FH5s since about August last year. While I initially enjoyed them, I started having serious issues with the mids and the fit. Despite extensive tip rolling, I just could get them to sound right. I experienced flashes of brilliance from the FH5s. With the right song from the right source and with the right tips they could sound really very good. However,I found them to be very inconsistent. After about 3 or 4months of owning the FH5 I bought a pair of DM6s and KPEs. From then on the FH5 just didn't get a look in. The mids on both DM6 and KPE sounded vastly superior to the FH5 to me and overall they were just more coherent and enjoyable to listen to. To the extent that I stopped listening to the FH5 at all. They we just too shouty and were seriously lacking in the lower mids in particular. I just didn't find them enjoyable to listen to. After having almost given up on them, I stumbled on @rendyG 's mod and decided to give it a go. I bought some surgical tape and ordered the brown and green dampers.

The dampers arrived last week and having been putting the FH5 through its paces since then. I started off trying the brown dampers first (together with the surgical tape mod) and noticed an immediate improvement. The strident upper mids were improved, as were the lower mids. To me it was a significant improvement. I then thought I would try the green dampers. At first thought they may be a little too much. However, after trying a few different tips, and settled on some foams, the FH5 sound really good now and are back in rotation. I find them to be much better balanced now. The biggest improvement is with the mids, which aren't shouty at all now. Although, I haven't done anything to mess with the bass, I feel it has also really improved and sounds more prominent and clearer, in a very good way. The fit is still not great, but the sound is where I think the FH5s should be. They are an excellent Iem and I enjoy them now just as much as the DM6s and the KPE's. I now think that maybe it has better quality bass then both of these.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to @rendyG for taking the time to explain his mod.

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #1,934 of 2,258
I have had my FH5s since about August last year. While I initially enjoyed them, I started having serious issues with the mids and the fit. Despite extensive tip rolling, I just could get them to sound right. I experienced flashes of brilliance from the FH5s. With the right song from the right source and with the right tips they could sound really very good. However,I found them to be very inconsistent. After about 3 or 4months of owning the FH5 I bought a pair of DM6s and KPEs. From then on the FH5 just didn't get a look in. The mids on both DM6 and KPE sounded vastly superior to the FH5 to me and overall they were just more coherent and enjoyable to listen to. To the extent that I stopped listening to the FH5 at all. They we just too shouty and were seriously lacking in the lower mids in particular. I just didn't find them enjoyable to listen to. After having almost given up on them, I stumbled on @rendyG 's mod and decided to give it a go. I bought some surgical tape and ordered the brown and green dampers.

The dampers arrived last week and having been putting the FH5 through its paces since then. I started off trying the brown dampers first (together with the surgical tape mod) and noticed an immediate improvement. The strident upper mids were improved, as were the lower mids. To me it was a significant improvement. I then thought I would try the green dampers. At first thought they may be a little too much. However, after trying a few different tips, and settled on some foams, the FH5 sound really good now and are back in rotation. I find them to be much better balanced now. The biggest improvement is with the mids, which aren't shouty at all now. Although, I haven't done anything to mess with the bass, I feel it has also really improved and sounds more prominent and clearer, in a very good way. The fit is still not great, but the sound is where I think the FH5s should be. They are an excellent Iem and I enjoy them now just as much as the DM6s and the KPE's. I now think that maybe it has better quality bass then both of these.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to @rendyG for taking the time to explain his mod.

I´m really glad this worked for you as the upper mids didn´t really bother me personally so I couldn´t say for sure this will fix the upper mid issue some people reported.
I think one could get even better results by using proper damper instead of the tape, but the smaller dampers are pain in the ass to find..

Btw, recently I´ve bought IT04 and I can strongly recommend it as a straight upgrade from FH5. It fixed all the issues and imperfections I had with my FH5 (mainly fit). Sound is obviously much more natural, transparent, more balanced tonality.. and the BASS omg, so tight and controlled, I love it :)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #1,935 of 2,258
I´m really glad this worked for you as the upper mids didn´t really bother me personally so I couldn´t say for sure this will fix the upper mid issue some people reported.
I think one could get even better results by using proper damper instead of the tape, but the smaller dampers are pain in the ass to find..

Btw, recently I´ve bought IT04 and I can strongly recommend it as a straight upgrade from FH5. It fixed all the issues and imperfections I had with my FH5 (mainly fit). Sound is obviously much more natural, transparent, more balanced tonality.. and the BASS omg, so tight and controlled, I love it :)

Thanks for the IT04 recommendation, I may try and demo them. I actually ordered a small fixing tool that made it much easier to replace the dampers. Even then it was a little fiddly. I think it was the combination of the stronger damper and the tape that worked for me. The tape on its own wasn’t enough for me to fix the problem. So may be my issue was as much with the lower end of the highs as the with the upper mids? Whatever didn’t sound right before has now been significantly improved. Highly recommend this mod for anyone that finds the fh5 too shouty or strident. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back