Fiio FH5 or Massdrop Plus? (maybe Final B3 or FH7?)
May 27, 2020 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

milksage

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've been thinking about stepping up my IEM game and I'm having a tough time deciding which IEM to get. A little history, I have a Tin T2 and Final E2000. I had a Tin T4, but sold it because I found it too fatiguing and the treble made it feel a bit messy to me. I like the tonality of my T2, but wish it had a bit better bass extension and find it to be just a bit sibilant at times. My E2000 is nice, but has too much midbass. Given this, I actually think the Final B3 looks like a good all-arounder, but it much more expensive than the other two I mentioned. With the Massdrop Plus only being $200, I am considering it, but have heard about build quality issues. I haven't heard any complaints about the FH5, however, my ear canals are a bit small (T2 isn't always very comfortable for me), so the FH5 may have some issues with the fit.

What do you guys think would be my best option for upgrading?

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 4
hey, it might be a bit too late but I have both the Tin T2 and FH5 so maybe it will still be useful.

Oddly I like the T2s more than the FH5, the T2s have a clearer sound, the bass of the FH5s is punchier but for me they are not worth the upgrade.
In terms of conform the FH5s are much better than the T2s. the nozzle is thinner plus the shape is ergonomic so they are much more comfortable

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Hey all,

I've been thinking about stepping up my IEM game and I'm having a tough time deciding which IEM to get. A little history, I have a Tin T2 and Final E2000. I had a Tin T4, but sold it because I found it too fatiguing and the treble made it feel a bit messy to me. I like the tonality of my T2, but wish it had a bit better bass extension and find it to be just a bit sibilant at times. My E2000 is nice, but has too much midbass. Given this, I actually think the Final B3 looks like a good all-arounder, but it much more expensive than the other two I mentioned. With the Massdrop Plus only being $200, I am considering it, but have heard about build quality issues. I haven't heard any complaints about the FH5, however, my ear canals are a bit small (T2 isn't always very comfortable for me), so the FH5 may have some issues with the fit.

There are several great IEMs that may interest you. All of these have plenty of good bass, but are very well balanced in tuning.

- Tin T2 Plus - tamer upper mids and treble than T4, but similar clarity and detail retrieval. Similar bass to T4. $50
- Jade Audio EA1 ($30) or FiiO FD1 ($60) - basically same IEM, slightly different accessories. Very clear and smooth treble. Very natural timbre. Solid bass that one can significantly increase by simply taping over vents. Loads of sound texture.
- iBasso IT00 - all the rage right now. Has a balanced sound with really good sub bass.

Note, I have not heard the Massdrop Plus nor the FH5, but have read a lot of really good things about them. They are, however, quite a bit more expensive than all of these that I listed. One member that I know of, @lgcubana, has the FH5, FD1 and EA1.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Hey all,

I've had the Tin T2 & T3. Kept the T3. Jettisoned the T2, could be a little too bright for me, on certain songs. e.g. House of the Rising Sun, by the Animals

The FH5 would easily address your concerns for the low end. Decent sub bass, with a moderate decay. Clean mid bass, with good micro detail. But size could be an issue. I use large foam tips and my Conchae is of average size and I find the FH5 to be a perfect fit

The (Fiio) FD1/EA1 (JadeAudio) are a slightly smaller shell and a much lower price tier, $59 USD & $29 USD, respectively; their low end (while authoritative) is fast, vs. the FH5 signature. Again, clean mids and a fair amount of macro detail.

1595549177256.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back