FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #226 of 2,779
I now have two perfectly working FH3's with no issues. This IEM is fantastic. Sad to hear a few others are reporting the same issue I experienced.
Did you buy a new set or get it replaced?

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #228 of 2,779
I bought my first set from Amazon and was able to return it easily for a refund, but of course, they had none in stock for a replacement. I ordered my second set from Linsoul. I ordered my third set again through Amazon once they had stock again.

That's why i buy off amazon.

Sep 8, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #229 of 2,779
Had my FH3 for 3 days now and reached the conclusion it is just another overhyped IEM. Everything about it is average, there is nothing that stands out about it. Maybe just the build quality is above others. The bass is plenty but find it unsatisfying, listening to my favorite tracks, waiting for those drums to get exciting they never do, that drop never reaches it's apex. The highs are kinda unnatural, not bad overall but I've also heard $10 dynamics with more realistic cymbals, they also never get happy and shimmery enough. Mids and overall signature is also kind of tiring and lifeless. Soundstage and spaciousness is nothing to write home about. Not a bad set overall but I think the hype and all around positive praise it's getting is a bit undeserving, there are definitely things to critique. For me there is nothing that makes me wanna listen to them over my other IEMs, today I had on the table the Blon 03, Sony N3, Final E4000, ISN H40, Fiio FH5, Fiio F9 Pro, ISS and there was nothing that made me wanna pick FH3 over them. Blon 03 has a stellar tonality that I enjoy to listen, Sony N3 is pleasant, E4000 is warm and soothing, H40 is exciting and gets me ready for gym, Fiio FH5 is one of my favorite IEMs ever, it's bass and musicality is unmatched and I thing anyone saying the FH3 is close is wrong, it's not even close. F9 Pro while bright as all hell still has it's strengths and can get to a better overall sound than FH3 with some EQ and here is another critique of FH3, it is among the worst responding to EQ sets I own.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #230 of 2,779
Had my FH3 for 3 days now and reached the conclusion it is just another overhyped IEM. Everything about it is average, there is nothing that stands out about it. Maybe just the build quality is above others. The bass is plenty but find it unsatisfying, listening to my favorite tracks, waiting for those drums to get exciting they never do, that drop never reaches it's apex. The highs are kinda unnatural, not bad overall but I've also heard $10 dynamics with more realistic cymbals, they also never get happy and shimmery enough. Mids and overall signature is also kind of tiring and lifeless. Soundstage and spaciousness is nothing to write home about. Not a bad set overall but I think the hype and all around positive praise it's getting is a bit undeserving, there are definitely things to critique. For me there is nothing that makes me wanna listen to them over my other IEMs, today I had on the table the Blon 03, Sony N3, Final E4000, ISN H40, Fiio FH5, Fiio F9 Pro, ISS and there was nothing that made me wanna pick FH3 over them. Blon 03 has a stellar tonality that I enjoy to listen, Sony N3 is pleasant, E4000 is warm and soothing, H40 is exciting and gets me ready for gym, Fiio FH5 is one of my favorite IEMs ever, it's bass and musicality is unmatched and I thing anyone saying the FH3 is close is wrong, it's not even close. F9 Pro while bright as all hell still has it's strengths and can get to a better overall sound than FH3 with some EQ and here is another critique of FH3, it is among the worst responding to EQ sets I own.

I got them yesterday and I'm underwhelmed given the hype as well, so far I still prefer all my DDs over it. I've noticed all praises are from people running the FH3 through a balanced setup (FiiO Q5S, DX160, qudelix) though, so I'm giving the benefit of the doubt until I can detach this damn cable and try it balanced. But damn, it needs to improve a lot.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #231 of 2,779
I got them yesterday and I'm underwhelmed given the hype as well, so far I still prefer all my DDs over it. I've noticed all praises are from people running the FH3 through a balanced setup (FiiO Q5S, DX160, qudelix) though, so I'm giving the benefit of the doubt until I can detach this damn cable and try it balanced. But damn, it needs to improve a lot.
I think you should try balanced as fh3 really needs power so as i use dx160 as a source , between 3.5 and balanced output there is really big difference. Balanced sounds much more puchy, dynamic and controlled at the same time. Also fh3 in my opinion very tip dependant so you should try with different tips. Original default not bad but with them fh3 sounds too boomy in low end and a little bit shouty in treble with my source. I tried few famous tips and at the moment spiral dots ( first version) sounds very good, sound is more balanced, airy, linear, bass not so strong in quantity but better controlled with speedy punch. Also spinfit 145 good but with bigger bass quantity. So this could change sound a lot. And fh3 not overhyped in my opinion, they really for the money are very good.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #232 of 2,779
I fall into that group, that found the FH3 goes from mediocre (when connected directly to my phone) to it's apex, once connected to either my Radsone ES100 or Qudelix-5K, via an inexpensive balanced cable. I can only assume balanced (with amplification) is better then SE, as I don't like to do a lot of cable swapping on MMCX connections. So I skipped trying SE to one of my BT amps.

Also, most posters to this thread conducted a break in period. The amount of actual time is in question, but i would start with a minimum of 24 hrs.

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #233 of 2,779

I have yet to listen to the FH3 on a phone or SE. I'm running balanced from a desktop unit. Maybe that has something to do with what we hear differently?

I own the Fiio FH3, FH5 and FH7 and prefer the FH3 to all of the Fiio offerings maily because of the bass amount and bass speed and control. I'm also treble sensitive so the laid back treble for me is just what the doctor ordered.

The thing about the FH3 is… As I’m reading more and more users impressions, some people are disappointed in the FH3 because from the hype, they are expecting something “better” to their ears than anything they have ever heard before. People need to remember that the FH3 is a 130 dollar IEM that easily is competing and IMO is more enjoyable to listen to compared to many IEMs 2x, 3x, 4x+ its price bracket. Value is obviously a big part of the hype on this set.

I’m also hearing complaints that the FH3 has too much bass for their personal preference. I wouldn’t consider the FH3 a basshead’s IEM, but maybe I should begin warning people that the bass is on the heavy side for some.

The FH3 doesn’t do much “better” than other IEMs. It doesn’t have the widest sound stage. It doesn’t have incredible detail in the mids or highs. But IMO, it does bass better than any IEM I’ve heard. And that’s it’s big selling point for me, in addition to its incredible value.

So if you do not prefer elevated bass, or do not care about the bass being extremely good bass… Extremely fast, textured, dynamic and tight. The FH3 may not appeal to you. As well as the mids and treble frequencies being relaxed and a more "fun" sound signature.

Personally, this is exactly my preferences and matches up with my music library extremely well. Getting this kind of control over technical prog metal bass is very impressive. But if you listen to stuff recorded without low bass or sub bass, (older recordings) you’re not even going to be able to understand what I’m talking about.

As BGGAR/Chris/Hawaii Bad Boy says in his video reviews. Listen to Big Boi, Kill Jill. This track should be in every audiophiles test tracks for sibilant vocals and sub bass. If the female vocalist in the beginning is sibilant on your set, there’s a problem with the treble on your set. If your set cannot reproduce the 3 huge sub bass hits with authority. Your set has issue producing proper sub bass. Playing the Kill Jill track, most of my headphones can’t even reproduce the the sub bass at all or it is hardly audible.

These are the things many of us are looking for when comparing these sets. Technical capabilities that are tangible that can or can’t be heard. And when they can be heard, how well are they depicted? Are they clear? Do they lack detail? Are they authoritative if they’re supposed to be? Do things sound as if they’re pushed into the background or are they forward?

There’s a WHOLE LOT MORE to what some of us are doing when we are critically listening & recommending a set other than if you like what you hear when you sit back and casually listen to your favorite tune that was recorded back in the 1960s.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #234 of 2,779
Well, I contacted FiiO about the defect in my FH3 here, but got no response so far.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #235 of 2,779
Sep 10, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #237 of 2,779
Two days.
I poked them on Facebook, see if they reply there.
hmm, not sure if that is a long time for them since I have never contacted their support. But I guess they might be very busy right now so maybe give them a week to reply?

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #238 of 2,779
Yeah, if I don't get a reply by Monday I will be opening a dispute on AE and hope I manage to at least get some of my money back.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #239 of 2,779
Hi guys, want to buy a good iem to listen to metal (thrash, core, prog mostly), and I was thinking about an hybrid model. One of them could be this FH3 but I’m reading good and bad about it. The other models I’m looking at are Sony N3AP and Dunu DK-2001. Suggestions will be very appreciated! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back