[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 23, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #586 of 1,584
There is a parallel discussion in the ISN thread. All I will say is how can there not be any changes under conditions of time, humidity, temperature, and use given a rather complex mechanical/electrical transducer?

EXPLANATION OF HOW IT WORKS/ IS USED:

Explanation Picture

**The waves propagating from the cone seen here only represent sound waves (real sound waves do not look like these)​
Animation of Speaker Operation
  1. The electric signal passes through the wire in the form of an analog, sinusoidal (or other) wave
  2. The signal enters the voice coil, wrapping around the inner magnet (in the form of a solenoid)
  3. A force is exerted from the stable magnet structure to the free-moving voice coil
  4. As the signal's amplitude and frequency change, the force on the voice coil undulates back and forth
  5. The voice coil rapidly vibrates along the axis of the magnet structure, thereby vibrating the cone
  6. As the voice cone vibrates, the air immediately around it is pressurized and rarified.
  7. The pressurized air molecules propagate as a wave -- this is sound
And:

Laws of Thermodynamics

edit: grammar

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #587 of 1,584
It is entertaining to see objectivists twist themselves into attributing frequency response and harmonic distortion graphs to literally the entirety of the music listening experience, as if spectral decay graphs don't exist either. Nobody really does them for IEMs because well, I really don't know why. You would think the science bros would like to know more science about the thing they're debating but that's generally why I don't engage with them. I don't know if there is some way to ultimately measure burn-in, but I certainly wouldn't assume that something like driver timing would ever appear in a FR or HD graph. That's not something those tests were designed to measure.

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #589 of 1,584
There are a few on this sight that feel objectivity, or at least their version of such, translates into critical thinking or critical analysis. In fact objectivity exercised without critical thinking is merely another form of bias equally and specifically as nefarious as someone who’s subjective analysis is exercised sans critical thinking.

The mere thought that, as things relate to audio, you could possible and predictably design a product from measurement alone is absurd. There is no doubt that any competent designer would insure the basic set of measures are in place with their respective designs and within the target. But, the number of variables encountered when the device is put into service in conjunction with other equipment, necessary cables, different transducer type, loads, etc. Is going to effect the way this device behaves. Critical thinking tells us this.

When challenged the objective bias will tell you “you have to measure the device when in use to see if it is operating properly”

Critical thinking asks why is that important? What instruments do we have available to us to ascertain if the device is, under some or any circumstances operation in such a way that suspends disbelief or has additive pleasure in the fidelity of things….

Guess what?…. You gotta listen to it. Crazy concept for sure, but it’s out there

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #590 of 1,584
I have been listening to the FD7 for more then a week now. One thing that perhaps was not mentioned here, was how unfatiguing the sound is. I have been enjoying the music for hours while doing my work, and never once did I feel fatigue. The FD7 may not have the best soundstage or details, but that in part plays to non fatiguing nature of this IEM in my opinion. And yes are supremely organic sounding.

I have no complaints on how instruments sound. I do wish though, based on my past IEM trends, that the vocals had more weight to them. They are no thin sounding by any mean, perhaps I am just now used to how sound some vocal sounded lighter (but not at all thin) from what I am used to. Would someone be able to advice is a change of cable can help to make the vocals slightly more lush?

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #591 of 1,584
In think the reviewer didn't a burn-in to the FD7. I can't agree with his staging, imaging and treble discription. Out of the box it sounds in your head, not good 3D presentation and slightly sibilant, but after a good burn-in about 100 hours and more, it sounds very smooth in the upper mids and highs, has awesome three dimensional imaging and a pretty wide and deep outside of your head staging.

For what it's worth, I have a lot of sets with lots of hours on them, and I've never experienced these things changing with time (except in a couple of rare occasions where something broke).

The one thing you're not mentioning -- tonality -- is the only thing I've noticed change with time, but that is very much all down to my perception. I find that if you spend enough time with a particular sound, it will start to sound increasingly normal, and going back to other tunings that previously sounded "normal," the differences will seem exaggerated. This is basically what I'd call brain burn-in. It is not long lasting.

I think the FD7 is a awesome set

👍 Easier than inventing reasons why our opinions are different -- e.g. burn-in -- it's much easier to accept that we have different perspectives. There is no problem with that.

Ya using them for 2 weeks means he might have gotten 5-10 hours at best of actual listening.

I'd estimate they have about 40 hours on them. I often wear IEMs to sleep, which is an easy way to rack up hours. Not that I think burn-in is a factor.

From how he describes the sound I am very certain that is how they sound out of the box. What a bummer.

It's the same process I use for every review. 200 hours burn-in is over a full week of running an earphone without listening to it. That's a lot of time to dedicate a source to doing something that's, in my experience, not useful.

Why can't you accept everyone hears different things?

Bingo.

I don't like reviewers who get some single dd iems, don't burn them in and give them a bad score. People get afraid of buying them, because of this. Sure everyone has a different hearing, but when the iem can't show its full potential, its not good.

I gave FD7 3/5, not a bad score. But I've also just reviewed Moondrop KATO with the same lack of burn-in, and it's also a 1xDD earphone, and I gave that one 5/5. I personally think the $190 KATO is better than the $600 FD7.

Reminds me all the FH5s rushed reviews to gather some likes that buried it not getting the attention it deserves.

You've actually just brought up the one earphone I actually did do a 200-hour burn-in on for the memes, and then reviewed it. And no, it didn't sound different after.

I think whether a reviewer believes in burn in or not, it’s better to at least do it for the sake of avoiding any discussions about it. 100 hrs or so doesn’t do any harm I think.

100 hours of dedicating a source to playing an earphone I'm not listening to is a very tedious tasks, especially when I've reviewed ~50 earphones this year. 100 hours of burn-in for 50 earphones is 208 days.

And again, I've never experienced the effects of burn-in. So that's 208 days for... avoiding controversy on Head-Fi? No offense, but not worth it.

There is not a single manufacturer who haven't instructed me burn the reviewed iem for minimum of 70-100 hours.

Only a couple companies have ever recommended burn-in when sending me units (Fiio is one). I've tried it. It's never made a difference.

Yeah I don't think the difference in opinion is due to not burning in.

Agreed. I expect if someone secretly swapped my set with Ichos', we'd still have the same opinions. Which is fine.

Reviewing is not about what the reviewer likes but about what other people might like.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. A reviewer can not give you your perspective. They have only their own.

Well I think it’s impossible to be 100% objective as a reviewer. There’s ear anatomy and difference in hearing amongst people. Plus people have different taste when it comes to music genre and what they want out of a sound signature. So with experience you should be able to read also between the lines with regards to a review and the reviewer's hearing and preferences.

Agreed.

Maybe he was listening to the FD5?

There is one hour of video of me handling what is obviously and FD7 and not an FD5.

I work my way around brain trickery. I just don't listen to the review headphone out of box, instead I am doing the ordinary burning process and after it is finished then I start listening. So honestly I don't know if the sound has benefited from the burning or not.

You avoid the placebo effect by... just blindly believing. This is not a great position from which to critique other understandings.

The thing about Super Reviews, from what I can tell, is he thinks a fair amount of aspects in the audiophile hobby are placebo.

Where I write things off as placebo is where I've personally tested my own ability to discern audible differences when I'm blindfolded. 24-bit audio, burn-in, most difference between DACs and amps, balanced cables... A note here for the later critiques of objectivists obsessed with measurements, note that there are significant differences that measurements can show in these areas -- and I don't find they mean much for the listening experience.

I only watch his previews for the unboxing, fit, comfort, ergonomics and the tuning of the headphones and that's it. He literally can't hear the other placebo audiophile stuff.

I will take that as a compliment :)

Side note: just because the frequency response hasn't changed doesn't mean the sound hasn't changed. The human ear picks up on everything there is to be heard. Measurements only capture information if you know how to look for it.

I generally agree that FR does not capture everything. I've spent a lot of time looking at measurements, though, and FR seems to be the only one that's very useful at predicting something about the sound. But as I often say, it predicts the flavor of the sound, not the quality.

People who are ignorant about burn-in are the same people who do not break-in their new cars and diss mechanical engineering in the same way.

ICE break-in also controversial, but less so than audio burn-in.

truly wonder why measurements for IEMs are done so poorly. A frequency response shows just a tiny part of the whole picture. It's like maybe 20% of what is measured for high end quality headphones. But those are mostly done by companies that have much more money to throw at measurements, like Stereophile, Hifi News, etc.

I agree that frequency response is not the whole story, but I've spent a lot of time looking at other measurements -- I even get a bunch of extra data in REW when I make my own measurements -- and the other data I've seen just does not reliably correlate with listening experiences in any usefully predictive way. At least not with my understanding.

The ideal method to break in an engine is still the dead run in though thats a whole different argument.

Low-key the most controversial assertion in this thread >_<

Then why doesn't FiiO do it themselves before shipping units out to reviewers and customers alike?

For the same reason I don't do it when I get them -- it takes a LOT of time and resources (and doesn't actually matter).

Aside from the controversial topic of burn-in, listening to the FD7 last night and loving the timbre and imaging that I was hearing, I was thinking how do you even measure these most important audio qualities? Well.. definitely not with the IEC711 clone I have.

I am very interested to see measurements evolve to better identify these things. But yeah, I haven't seen it either, and I've heard enough IEMs with nearly identical FRs to suggest that FR isn't everything.

That's not a good argument to bring up graphs to write off burn in completely , nothing is proven here.

While I agree with the sentiment that FR is not the whole story, and that this set of graphs does not "prove" anything. But I think (a) FR measurements are the most informative audio measurements I know, (b) if the structure and flexibility of a driver is indeed changing to the degree burn-in claims seem to suggest that it would probably show up as some variance in frequency response, and so (c) while I would agree it's not conclusive, I think it's useful evidence.

Just because you can't measure it doesn't exist. This is not ASR ***.

And just because ASR can measure it doesn't mean you can hear it 🧐

It is entertaining to see objectivists twist themselves into attributing frequency response and harmonic distortion graphs to literally the entirety of the music listening experience, as if spectral decay graphs don't exist either.

I've attached the decay graphs from my before and after measurements of the FD7. While this type of graph looks cool and seems like it should be informative, I've not found them useful for explaining anything in my sound experience. I can say honestly as I'm writing this, I do not know which image -- A or B -- represents my out-of-the-box measurement vs. my 40-hour-burned-in measurement, but I'm interested to see what insights people think they show.

fd7 decay - a.jpg

fd7 decay - b.jpg

There are a few on this sight that feel objectivity, or at least their version of such, translates into critical thinking or critical analysis. In fact objectivity exercised without critical thinking is merely another form of bias equally and specifically as nefarious as someone who’s subjective analysis is exercised sans critical thinking.

I like your post. I think people definitely overrate the concept of objectivity -- not just the value of it, e.g. holding up objectivity as some aspirational ideal, but also the plausibility of it. An IEC711 measurement has so many assumptions baked it (before you even get to the point of subjective interpretation of the measurements) that to imagine a squiggle on a website as some objective, unbiased truth is pretty philosophically bankrupt. But also, a lot of audiophile stuff really does not stand up to blind testing, and I think it's worth considering that that level of subjective influence is probably not very useful in the sense of offering predictive value.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #592 of 1,584
I have been listening to the FD7 for more then a week now. One thing that perhaps was not mentioned here, was how unfatiguing the sound is. I have been enjoying the music for hours while doing my work, and never once did I feel fatigue. The FD7 may not have the best soundstage or details, but that in part plays to non fatiguing nature of this IEM in my opinion. And yes are supremely organic sounding.

I have no complaints on how instruments sound. I do wish though, based on my past IEM trends, that the vocals had more weight to them. They are no thin sounding by any mean, perhaps I am just now used to how sound some vocal sounded lighter (but not at all thin) from what I am used to. Would someone be able to advice is a change of cable can help to make the vocals slightly more lush?
If your used to having more upper mid enhanced IEMs these will sound a bit flat for vocals in comparison. This is the cable I am using pic from previous post
11600019.jpg

Silver matches well with the FD7 so naturally a thicker pure silver cable matches even better. I am using the ISN AG8. It matches splendidly with the FD7. I would try whatever you got on hand to see how that matchs up with them for you. Try different tips as well when matching up different cables.

Source matching also plays a critical role with the FD7.

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #593 of 1,584
Just because you can't measure it doesn't exist. This is not ASR ***.

If your ears can't hear DD burn in why bother buying any IEM above $200?. I am sure there are plenty of IEMs that measure spectacularly below $200.
The only reason I buy IEMs worth more than $200 is to keep the placebo effect going......

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #594 of 1,584
@MRSallee

Doing 50+ iem reviews per year I don't think that the reviewer is able to dedicate the necessary time in order to live with it and fully understand what is going on.

I have been listening to the IE900 for more than a month in a daily basis before I wrote my review.

I didn't take sides regarding burn in so I don't work my way around placebo.
I follow instructions and listen after the burn in.
If it sounds good or bad due to burn in , I don't care.
Just evaluate after the recommended time.

A reviewer should have a couple of dedicated sources for burning time etc.

I have two.

All other things you mention are subjective and well respected.
Every reviewer has a different approach to reviewing and no one expects them to review with the same philosophy.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #595 of 1,584
Oct 24, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #596 of 1,584
You started listening to FD7 on literally the same day I did.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...la-magnetic-flux.959363/page-18#post-16593122

We have different opinions of the earphone. It’s fine. You don’t need to invent excuses for a difference of opinion.
I am not inventing any excuses.
So you if you have been listening in a daily basis then you have invested plenty of time for this iem.
That's good!
I have been listening from that day - daily - and submitted the review at 21/10.
Enough listening time don't you think?
All opinions including yours are well respected.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #597 of 1,584
I gave FD7 3/5, not a bad score. But I've also just reviewed Moondrop KATO with the same lack of burn-in, and it's also a 1xDD earphone, and I gave that one 5/5. I personally think the $190 KATO is better than the $600 FD7.
If we put price and preferences aside and judge both purely based on technical performance, tonality, timbre, refinement and musicality. Which one do you think is better?

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #598 of 1,584
@MRSallee

Thanks for replying. Tbh, I wasn't expecting one, so I'll try to keep my comments brief.

Regarding the spectral decay graph, I don't think it's conclusive, if that's what you're asking. 2 data points is not enough to make any intelligent assessment about burn-in over time, if at all (to your point about relying on graphs in general). But I do think it's interesting that the only place where there is any change in the graphs is the area where most folks who have commented on burn-in have said the FD7's has improved to their subjective experience. I wouldn't rule anything out, but it's hard to rule anything "in" if you don't think the thing exists in the first place.

Ultimately, it's hard for me square away your comments in the thread even questioning the possibility of true objectivity in this hobby with someone quick to call any phenomenon he can't subjectively hear a "placebo". I mean, it's certainly a great way to market your YT channel to some of the most uh passionate people in this hobby, but it's a terrible way to validate other people's subjective experience for the purposes of fostering an intelligent discussion. Obviously I agree that folks rely too much on graphs, as that was part of my original point, and I would agree that to my ears, folks sometimes overstate certain audiophile phenomena. but I would never question whether or not they heard the thing in the first place, or question the value the thing they're hearing has to them (within reason).

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #599 of 1,584
it's hard to rule anything "in" if you don't think the thing exists in the first place.
I think that's a good point. If we believe in the power of mind and suggestion then it can also go both ways. That's why it's important to not come to any conclusions and be an observer.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #600 of 1,584
Ultimately, it's hard for me square away your comments in the thread even questioning the possibility of true objectivity in this hobby with someone quick to call any phenomenon he can't subjectively hear a "placebo". I mean, it's certainly a great way to market your YT channel to some of the most uh passionate people in this hobby, but it's a terrible way to validate other people's subjective experience for the purposes of fostering an intelligent discussion. Obviously I agree that folks rely too much on graphs, as that was part of my original point, and I would agree that to my ears, folks sometimes overstate certain audiophile phenomena. but I would never question whether or not they heard the thing in the first place, or question the value the thing they're hearing has to them (within reason).
Yeah I guess I never intended it as a way to shut down conversation, just a way to poke fun at myself (I'm not immune: I think volume knobs make sources sound better, and I keep a library of FLAC despite knowing I can't tell it apart from 256Kbps AAC) and to describe my experiences of elements of the hobby that I can't recommend people spend time worrying about (e.g. balanced cables). You may note, in my long response earlier I'm not telling anyone that they're wrong, lying, or deceiving themselves, but that my experience of burn-in is that it makes no difference to me. I may be very skeptical of a lot of audiophile claims, but I'm not going to tell someone their experience is false -- just that I might not let it influence my choices until I see stronger evidence, e.g. a blind A-B test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back