[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 22, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #556 of 1,584
Because of the working principles and characteristics of the unit speakers, new earphones usually need to be burned in for about 200 hours so to make the diaphragm work in the best state.
In general, you can choose some softer songs and keep the volume at a medium level until you are satisfied with the sound performance of the earphones.

Best regards
There you go. While this is a said thing, many reviewers don't consider burn in to be a plausible explanation for getting the final sound. It would be great if you could send burned in IEMs to the reviewers, so that there is no bias and the end users get an uniform opinion. Many great IEMs do falter because of average reviews.

Oct 22, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #557 of 1,584
Because of the working principles and characteristics of the unit speakers, new earphones usually need to be burned in for about 200 hours so to make the diaphragm work in the best state.
In general, you can choose some softer songs and keep the volume at a medium level until you are satisfied with the sound performance of the earphones.

Best regards
Then why doesn't FiiO do it themselves before shipping units out to reviewers and customers alike?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #561 of 1,584
Oct 22, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #564 of 1,584
You can call it brain burn in or whatever, but here are my findings in last 80 hours with the FD7:

Using the same Bach violin concerto #2 that I know inside out.

First 20 hours: meh.
20-40 hours: ok I see some potential. (My first impression written down here)
40-60 hours: became syrupy, gooey and a bit too warm sounding on my M8 so changed to the ifi Diablo. Still not good.
Somewhere 70th hour: foggy lower mids started to dissipate.
80th hour: clearing up still. Everything is locking into place nicely. Treble masked by lower mids warmth coming through.

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #565 of 1,584
Aside from the controversial topic of burn-in, listening to the FD7 last night and loving the timbre and imaging that I was hearing, I was thinking how do you even measure these most important audio qualities? Well.. definitely not with the IEC711 clone I have.
These two audio qualities may be the most important part of the listening experience, realistic timbre is the sum of maybe all we are hearing, and imaging width, depth and height like timbre can only be experienced with an actual listening of the transducer.
Now I agree with the reviewer that actual soundstage of the FD7 is not crazy wide nor cavernous like the Z1R but man this thing images so naturally proportional in my head that I can constantly visualize musicians in front of me.

I will be sending out my FD7 to @Rockwell75, @holsen and @SBranson starting next week for a mini Canadian tour. Will be interesting to see what they hear & observe.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #566 of 1,584
Aside from the controversial topic of burn-in, listening to the FD7 last night and loving the timbre and imaging that I was hearing, I was thinking how do you even measure these most important audio qualities? Well.. definitely not with the IEC711 clone I have.
These two audio qualities may be the most important part of the listening experience, realistic timbre is the sum of maybe all we are hearing, and imaging width, depth and height like timbre can only be experienced with an actual listening of the transducer.
Now I agree with the reviewer that actual soundstage of the FD7 is not crazy wide nor cavernous like the Z1R but man this thing images so naturally proportional in my head that I can constantly visualize musicians in front of me.

I will be sending out my FD7 to @Rockwell75, @holsen and @SBranson starting next week for a mini Canadian tour. Will be interesting to see what they hear & observe.
I think it’s important to note that people have different priorities with regards to acoustic properties. I value timbre and how natural an EM sounds a lot. But someone that listens primarily to EDM and electronic music that's not necessarily the case. Someone might value 3D imaging, soundstage or something else more than anything.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #567 of 1,584

That's an interesting observation. I agree, timbre for me personally too is one of the more if not the most important trait when looking for a monitor. As the music I listen to mostly contain vocals and acoustic instruments, something that can mimic them is highly valuable in my estimation. Timbre is the essence of the midrange, and the mids is where everything combines. Like soup, so many variables are mixed and shown. Not something easy to divide and measure like fluid dynamics in some ways

Furthermore, I think it's hard to find one because really, if you want something that'd sound like a wooden instrument, then ideally it'd have to be something made out of wood. And human vocals, then something more organic in order to recreate the distortion profile more closely resembling the real counterpart. That'd be hard to consistently produce I imagine

But that being said, I think at the end of the day it's really all about synergy. As the listener and the mediating device have each their own preferences. It's up to how they can align, and render your playlist in the tint/color you like best

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #568 of 1,584
The great thing about the tuning on the FD7 is that it is more versatile than a lot of higher end dynamics in general due to its excellent balancing. Its bass doesn't have the most impact or does it have the greatest rumble. Its treble is not the most refined or has the best upper treble sparkle but no denying how great the mid range is for the FD7. What makes them stand out to me is its resolving ability. Pure Beryllium can do that for you. I listen to such a huge variety of music and while some earphones do some types of music better than others. The FD7 is very versatile for everything I am listening to and I can't say that about a lot of IEMs I have reviewed in the past.

These things are not an average sounding dynamic, not in my experience. They deserve a fan base as they are truly and outstanding product from Fiio. That is if you actually do the burn in. Lol.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #570 of 1,584
The great thing about the tuning on the FD7 is that it is more versatile than a lot of higher end dynamics in general due to its excellent balancing. Its bass doesn't have the most impact or does it have the greatest rumble. Its treble is not the most refined or has the best upper treble sparkle but no denying how great the mid range is for the FD7. What makes them stand out to me is its resolving ability. Pure Beryllium can do that for you. I listen to such a huge variety of music and while some earphones do some types of music better than others. The FD7 is very versatile for everything I am listening to and I can't say that about a lot of IEMs I have reviewed in the past.

These things are not an average sounding dynamic, not in my experience. They deserve a fan base as they are truly and outstanding product from Fiio. That is if you actually do the burn in. Lol.
Completely agree. I think the benefits of having a pure beryllium dynamic is it's resolving capability. These don't have the sub bass rumble or sparking treble extension. But for what it does, it just does it so well.

For me, I think it's imaging is probably my favorite thing about them. Positioning and just the realism of the stage presented in front of you. Along with that the macro and micro details makes you feel like you truly are there.

The midrange and vocals to me are just pure and neutral. Not sugar coated, lush, or sweet. Just incredibly detailed and realistic.

In a way, they kind of remind me of my Symphones Magnum headphones. Not the tuning, but just the quickness in the attack and how detailed they are. The FD7 is prob more resolving though. I sometimes feel like I'm wearing actual headphones with them.

I just appreciate the dynamic reproduction of the FD7'S. If you are a fan of good dynamic headphones. I definitely think you should give these a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back