[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 24, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #601 of 1,584
If your used to having more upper mid enhanced IEMs these will sound a bit flat for vocals in comparison. This is the cable I am using pic from previous post
11600019.jpg

Silver matches well with the FD7 so naturally a thicker pure silver cable matches even better. I am using the ISN AG8. It matches splendidly with the FD7. I would try whatever you got on hand to see how that matchs up with them for you. Try different tips as well when matching up different cables.

Source matching also plays a critical role with the FD7.
I can second this. I've been running in the ISN AG8 for a couple weeks now and it's a great match with the FD7.

Definitely worth the $200 investment if you want to eek out that last 2% bit of information into your earphone. It's funny because it doesn't sound like a silver cable at all by characteristics. To me, they sound more like a ultra high purity copper cable. What I mean is it's super smooth, transparent, and very analog sounding. You feel like you're getting the full resolution/picture.

The stock cable is perfectly fine and I prefer the stock ergonomically as it is lighter and easier to deal with OTG. The AG8 is thick like a hose but not too heavy, will likely be for home use only. Comparing the two is like going from 4k to 8k resolution. You get that every last bit of information.

The FD7 has become one of my favorite headphone period. In ear or over ear. I just never heard anything like it. The resolution it presents is like holding a microscope to the sound where I literally hear things I've never heard before. The small details just come into focus allowing you to see the big picture.

I think I prefer the large treble nozzle overall. To me this sounds the most balanced with an airier, grander, and enveloping presentation. I switch to the balanced nozzle when I want a bit more bass presence.

I think I pretty much hit the end of the road for IEM search. The FD7 satisfies my needs when I want that good ol dynamic headphone sound but in a portable form factor. The IE900 does intrigue me though as I'm a fan of the Sennheiser sound as well.

It's a pity that some people will never hear these to their full potential. I truly think these are a masterpiece and well deserving of legendary status. They go down as one of the best IEMs of all time in my book. 👍

Time to retire from this hobby and just enjoy the music. :)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #602 of 1,584
I can second this. I've been running in the ISN AG8 for a couple weeks now and it's a great match with the FD7.

Definitely worth the $200 investment if you want to eek out that last 2% bit of information into your earphone. It's funny because it doesn't sound like a silver cable at all by characteristics. To me, they sound more like a ultra high purity copper cable. What I mean is it's super smooth, transparent, and very analog sounding. You feel like you're getting the full resolution/picture.

The stock cable is perfectly fine and I prefer the stock ergonomically as it is lighter and easier to deal with OTG. The AG8 is thick like a hose but not too heavy, will likely be for home use only. Comparing the two is like going from 4k to 8k resolution. You get that every last bit of information.

The FD7 has become one of my favorite headphone period. In ear or over ear. I just never heard anything like it. The resolution it presents is like holding a microscope to the sound where I literally hear things I've never heard before. The small details just come into focus allowing you to see the big picture.

I think I prefer the large treble nozzle overall. To me this sounds the most balanced with an airier, grander, and enveloping presentation. I switch to the balanced nozzle when I want a bit more bass presence.

I think I pretty much hit the end of the road for IEM search. The FD7 satisfies my needs when I want that good ol dynamic headphone sound but in a portable form factor. The IE900 does intrigue me though as I'm a fan of the Sennheiser sound as well.

It's a pity that some people will never hear these to their full potential. I truly think these are a masterpiece and well deserving of legendary status. They go down as one of the best IEMs of all time in my book. 👍

These definitely seem to be all the rage at the moment. Really looking forward to hearing them for myself. It will be my first Fiio earphone.

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #603 of 1,584
ahh

Ok that’s it. I am gonna have to dig out my AG8 to try now. I know I have it somewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #604 of 1,584
Why aren't they burned in from the factory if this is the case? Don't you want that consumers get excellent and "as expected" sound from the very first moment they put them on?
In order to let the users enjoy the fun of burning the headphone and the sound change during the burning progress, we will not burn the headphone before factory out. Beside, sound preference is very subjective. Some users prefer not burning the headphones instead.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 24, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #605 of 1,584
@FiiO Hello, when is the India release planned for the FD7? Can't find it anywhere yet.
Thanks for the feedback. We will contact the sellers in India about ordering the FD7 again.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 24, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #606 of 1,584
Introduction to FiiO's Product Line and Update Plan in 2021--From James

Chapter 18 FD7, the masterpiece of FiiO’s Dynamic Driver Technology

As a new dynamic driver IEMs of FiiO, FD7 can be regarded as a masterpiece that integrates four technologies. Specifically, they are pure beryllium diaphragm, Semi-open acoustic design, magnet with high magnetic flux and interchangeable audio plugs.

Among the above four technologies, magnets with high magnetic flux are not uncommon in the industry, and interchangeable plug design has even become a standard for Chinese high-end earphones. Though the semi-open acoustic design is not used by many manufacturers, it is not rare in comparison. But the pure beryllium diaphragm units supplied in batches are really rare in the audio industry. Up to now, the products using pure beryllium diaphragms can be listed as below: FINAL A8000 (retail price in China is 1846USD), FINAL x DITA SHICHIKU.KANGEN (2906USD), DUNU Luna ( retail price in China is 1815 USD).

Not much to say the advantages of beryllium as a diaphragm for headphones/speakers, because a lot of information can be easily searched online. In this post, I will mainly talk about why pure beryllium is excellent material for diaphragm, and why are there only a few earphones using it.

The main reason is that there is only Materion that has established industrialized production of pure beryllium diaphragm materials. This results in two things: high price of the beryllium diaphragm material and long ordering time(12 months). The manufacturer would not willing to do business with us if we order few quantity. But bulk order requires sufficient financial strength. If 1,000 pcs of earphones are to be made, then 2,000 pcs of diaphragms are needed, which means hundreds of thousands of dollars needed to be invested. In order to make FDX/FD7, FiiO had invested millions dollars alone to prepare the diaphragm materials a year in advance. To be honest, this threshold is too high for many small brands. Moreover, with so much money has been invested, it will also be a big risk whether the headphones can be sold out.

For FiiO, money is not an issue. Even though FiiO has a relatively large global sales network among Chinese HiFi brands, sales is indeed risky since the future doesn’t look to be very bright for sales of high-price products. So, our strategy is to squeeze costs as much as we can and set a more affordable price. We therefore set an ultra-low price for FD7 of around 600USD, hoping to achieve small profits but quick turnover, so that more people can experience the unique sound of pure beryllium diaphragm.

Having said all that, you may also be curious about the sound difference between FiiO's pure beryllium earphones and other competing products. In fact, we discovered during the process that the performance of mids and treble among these earphones are very similar in frequency response curve. We can call this the unique sound of beryllium. Specifically, the treble extends very well, and is delicate and full of energy. This is something that difficult to manage when tuning because of technical limitations. A dynamic driver, for example, can also achieve excellent treble extension, but it often appears too bright and harsh. And if you want to reduce sibilance, it will lead to heavy sound with insufficient energy and density.

While for the mids and bass, the design of the cavity and gasket may gather greater influence. Different brands will distinguish themselves based on their own style of sound.

In short, I personally think that no matter which pure beryllium earphones are, experienced audiophiles can easily recognize their commonality. We can call this the unique sound of beryllium.

FD7 is more suitable for those who like the natural extension of single dynamic driver, coherent and smooth connection of bass, mids and treble, and often listen to instrumental music with rich high notes. For people who do not have a special preference but like to try new things, and hope to experience different styles, FD7 can also be a good choice.

In addition, since it is difficult to purchase pure beryllium diaphragms, it’s not easy for us to organize production and we thus fail to guarantee supply. From a pessimistic point of view, in light of long procurement cycle and risks control, we will not prepare too much material in advance. Maybe we will face a situation in the future where FD7 is not popular as we estimated because of shortages in supply. But I do believe that it is not common for a brand like FiiO to provide such an opportunity that is accessible to many of you to experience pure beryllium sound. In short, just buy and cherish.

微信图片_20210907171207.jpg

Oct 24, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #608 of 1,584

9038S pairs well with the FD7 as it cuts through a bit of lower mids warmth. AG8 is so chonky :)
That's my exact portable setup. 👍 Excellent indeed. Was listening to some Radiohead and Pink Floyd earlier. Pure bliss. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #609 of 1,584
Introduction to FiiO's Product Line and Update Plan in 2021--From James

Chapter 18 FD7, the masterpiece of FiiO’s Dynamic Driver Technology

As a new dynamic driver IEMs of FiiO, FD7 can be regarded as a masterpiece that integrates four technologies. Specifically, they are pure beryllium diaphragm, Semi-open acoustic design, magnet with high magnetic flux and interchangeable audio plugs.

Among the above four technologies, magnets with high magnetic flux are not uncommon in the industry, and interchangeable plug design has even become a standard for Chinese high-end earphones. Though the semi-open acoustic design is not used by many manufacturers, it is not rare in comparison. But the pure beryllium diaphragm units supplied in batches are really rare in the audio industry. Up to now, the products using pure beryllium diaphragms can be listed as below: FINAL A8000 (retail price in China is 1846USD), FINAL x DITA SHICHIKU.KANGEN (2906USD), DUNU Luna ( retail price in China is 1815 USD).

Not much to say the advantages of beryllium as a diaphragm for headphones/speakers, because a lot of information can be easily searched online. In this post, I will mainly talk about why pure beryllium is excellent material for diaphragm, and why are there only a few earphones using it.

The main reason is that there is only Materion that has established industrialized production of pure beryllium diaphragm materials. This results in two things: high price of the beryllium diaphragm material and long ordering time(12 months). The manufacturer would not willing to do business with us if we order few quantity. But bulk order requires sufficient financial strength. If 1,000 pcs of earphones are to be made, then 2,000 pcs of diaphragms are needed, which means hundreds of thousands of dollars needed to be invested. In order to make FDX/FD7, FiiO had invested millions dollars alone to prepare the diaphragm materials a year in advance. To be honest, this threshold is too high for many small brands. Moreover, with so much money has been invested, it will also be a big risk whether the headphones can be sold out.

For FiiO, money is not an issue. Even though FiiO has a relatively large global sales network among Chinese HiFi brands, sales is indeed risky since the future doesn’t look to be very bright for sales of high-price products. So, our strategy is to squeeze costs as much as we can and set a more affordable price. We therefore set an ultra-low price for FD7 of around 600USD, hoping to achieve small profits but quick turnover, so that more people can experience the unique sound of pure beryllium diaphragm.

Having said all that, you may also be curious about the sound difference between FiiO's pure beryllium earphones and other competing products. In fact, we discovered during the process that the performance of mids and treble among these earphones are very similar in frequency response curve. We can call this the unique sound of beryllium. Specifically, the treble extends very well, and is delicate and full of energy. This is something that difficult to manage when tuning because of technical limitations. A dynamic driver, for example, can also achieve excellent treble extension, but it often appears too bright and harsh. And if you want to reduce sibilance, it will lead to heavy sound with insufficient energy and density.

While for the mids and bass, the design of the cavity and gasket may gather greater influence. Different brands will distinguish themselves based on their own style of sound.

In short, I personally think that no matter which pure beryllium earphones are, experienced audiophiles can easily recognize their commonality. We can call this the unique sound of beryllium.

FD7 is more suitable for those who like the natural extension of single dynamic driver, coherent and smooth connection of bass, mids and treble, and often listen to instrumental music with rich high notes. For people who do not have a special preference but like to try new things, and hope to experience different styles, FD7 can also be a good choice.

In addition, since it is difficult to purchase pure beryllium diaphragms, it’s not easy for us to organize production and we thus fail to guarantee supply. From a pessimistic point of view, in light of long procurement cycle and risks control, we will not prepare too much material in advance. Maybe we will face a situation in the future where FD7 is not popular as we estimated because of shortages in supply. But I do believe that it is not common for a brand like FiiO to provide such an opportunity that is accessible to many of you to experience pure beryllium sound. In short, just buy and cherish.

微信图片_20210907171207.jpg
Please keep making amazing products. I'm super glad that you made the FD7 affordable and accessible to the every day enthusiast. I think this is one that everyone should experience but with great patience. It just keeps getting better and better the more I listen to them like a fine wine. I was a big fan of the FD5 and it was a great reference point. The FD7 brings the refinement and richness I was looking for and a whole new experience. Excited to hear what future products you guys have in store! 🙏

giphy.gif

Side note: I think my FD7's have finally settled into its final form. It's hard to describe but simply sounds just a lot more open, airy, and expansive. No more graininess or distortion. Music just flows like waves. Like opening up a window and taking a breath of fresh air. You feel enveloped into the music. You can hear all sorts of detail coming from a distance. But not analytical at all, very musical with emotion intact. I imagine something like what high end speakers sound like. A truly wonderful experience.

PXL_20211025_021006123~2.jpg

giphy.gif

perfection-mwah.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #610 of 1,584
Please keep making amazing products. I'm super glad that you made the FD7 affordable and accessible to the every day enthusiast. I think this is one that everyone should experience but with great patience. It just keeps getting better and better the more I listen to them like a fine wine. I was a big fan of the FD5 and it was a great reference point. The FD7 brings the refinement and richness I was looking for and a whole new experience. Excited to hear what future products you guys have in store! 🙏

Side note: I think my FD7's have finally settled into its final form. It's hard to describe but simply sounds just a lot more open, airy, and expansive. No more graininess or distortion. Music just flows like waves. Like opening up a window and taking a breath of fresh air. You feel enveloped into the music. You can hear all sorts of detail coming from a distance. But not analytical at all, very musical with emotion intact. I imagine something like what high end speakers sound like. A truly wonderful experience.
giphy.gif

perfection-mwah.gif

That's nice. I am waiting for my upgrade as well. Which source are you pairing with the FD7?

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #611 of 1,584
That's nice. I am waiting for my upgrade as well. Which source are you pairing with the FD7?
I'm using 9038SG3 susumu for portable use. Excellent synergy and you can alter the THD harmonic distortion to give it a tube like effect.

Topping D30/A30 pro stack for desktop. Waiting for the WA7 Fireflies gen 3 to come in...have a feeling it's gonna be an epic pairing. :)

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #613 of 1,584
An FD7 has arrived... :)
looking forward to your impression and some comparison studies with Timeless and Isabellae. Illumination also, if possible.

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #615 of 1,584
Yeah I guess I never intended it as a way to shut down conversation, just a way to poke fun at myself (I'm not immune: I think volume knobs make sources sound better, and I keep a library of FLAC despite knowing I can't tell it apart from 256Kbps AAC) and to describe my experiences of elements of the hobby that I can't recommend people spend time worrying about (e.g. balanced cables). You may note, in my long response earlier I'm not telling anyone that they're wrong, lying, or deceiving themselves, but that my experience of burn-in is that it makes no difference to me. I may be very skeptical of a lot of audiophile claims, but I'm not going to tell someone their experience is false -- just that I might not let it influence my choices until I see stronger evidence, e.g. a blind A-B test.
Makes sense since you don't seem to have a very antagonistic demeanor! And I can definitely relate to the urge to be self-deprecating.

Sadly, like so many other aspects of "Online Culture®", there's a toxicity among some of the more vocal members of the community. For example, the measurement freaks create threads in the science forum that seemingly exist solely to make fun of people who disagree with them. And the threads that do exist to actually discuss sound science often devolve into simplistic cries of "placebo" and "snake oil". Thankfully, head-fi keeps those conversations segregated, but everywhere else on the internet they're free to be their obnoxious selves. Hence me trying to discourage that type of attitude from people who might have some reach. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back