[FiiO FA1] Single Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors, Knowles Customized BA Driver, DLP 3D Printing Technology,Detachable MMCX Cable
May 31, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #286 of 398
I received my FA1 yesterday.
The first listening tests left me a bit disappointed because they sound very cold, thin and dry respect to Sennheiser Momentum IEM I was using before.
Mids and highs are good but the bass response is very weak.
Maybe the FH1 would suit my taste better?

FH1 sound different - strong bass and highs, V-shapred signature. FA1 are far more linear with typical single-BA bass. You went from dynamic IEM which I assume that sound like other Sennheiser equipment, to FA1 focused on technical aspect.

May 31, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #287 of 398
Hi all, there are several comparisons online, but I would like to get everything in one place from people familiarized both with FA1 and FA7 and what should I expect when making upgrade? Currently I am happy with FA1, but I would like more weight and authority.

May 31, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #288 of 398
Take your time to accustom to the sound sig, the momentum is very bassy and congested. The fa1 is already warm but it's easy to discern every nuance. If after a week you'll feel that you really want more bass, my suggestion is not the fh1, boomy, sibilant and high-mid lacking. Maybe a better option for you is rha ma750, one of the biggest sound in a iem in this price range. The fidelio s2 is always a good choice, the wonderful marshall mode eq at half the price now. Try also the m6 pro by mee, you'll be surprised

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #289 of 398
Like Giambuca a few posts back, initially I found the FA1 sound flat and I thought there might be a fault with them, but they were my first IEMs and didn't know what to expect. I was also listening to songs that may not have been the best at showcasing the FA1s abilities. Swapping over to 'Everything In Its Right Place' by Radiohead showed what they could do, with the synths sounding very close to my larger headphones. I then EQd them to add some bass and decrease frequencies around 5kHz for some songs, both of which were needed I think (for me anyway) and and now I'm very happy with them. Also great for podcasts and spoken voice, for which I can't imagine the need for anything more expensive.

Does anyone have any views on whether upgrading the cable to an 8-core (like the Fiio LC-3.5BS) will add anything extra?

Jun 1, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #290 of 398
Does anyone have any views on whether upgrading the cable to an 8-core (like the Fiio LC-3.5BS) will add anything extra?

Its not going to transform them. The changes will be aesthetic. The cables are more flexible, lighter, and more comfortable to wear. They also look pretty good :)

I have the LC 4.4-D. Its a really nice cable

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #292 of 398
Its not going to transform them. The changes will be aesthetic. The cables are more flexible, lighter, and more comfortable to wear. They also look pretty good :)

I have the LC 4.4-D. Its a really nice cable

Thanks Brooko, I'll hold off for now and and enjoy them as they are. I'm sure I will contract 'customisation fever' at some point though!

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #293 of 398
Does the sound improve significantly using balanced cable?
I am lucky because for my ears stock cable is comfortable so I do not require a new cable :)

Really good question - and one I've answered a few times. It really depends on the nature of the balanced circuit, but if you're talking portable devices (EG FiiO's DAPs with a balanced circuit) - consider this .......

People will claim they hear differences - and its possible if there is a different circuit or different output impedance, they may do - but most of the time the differences are expectation, and not volume matching.

The specs will actually tell you more than your hearing will. Take the X7ii and its default balanced module.

It'll put 17mW into a 300 ohm load SE but 63 mW into the same load balanced. The voltage is also up. So if you're driving a load which requires a lot of voltage and is reasonably high impedance (eg like an HD650) there will be benefits. Not in the architecture, but in the power.

Look at the same load into an IEM though - say around 16 ohm. SE is 200 mW and balanced is 380 mW. Balanced must be better right? Not really. Balanced will chew the battery quicker, and both outputs would drive practically any IEM into the regions of deafening you. And its the same for the 32ohm load. Both are essentially over-kill.

Now lets look at the real differences - those bits that people make claims on. Remember how balanced is always cleaner, darker, more spacious, wider sound-stage ....... :) Lets look at cleaner first. SNR on SE is 116 dB and on balanced is 119 dB. Both are beyond what we can discern - so no difference. Both have THD measurements at 0.003% = beyond our hearing limits. You'll get a magnitude more distortion from your earphones. Now the important one - crosstalk (channel separation). SE is 73 dB and balanced is 97 dB. That must make a big difference - right?

I'm going to quote something bookmarked a long time ago:
The FCC minimum channel separation/crosstalk spec for FM Stereo used to be 29.7dB...yes, that's right, 29.7. It had to do with how the signal was generated and handled, but 30 - 40dB wasn't hard to achieve, and 50dB wasn't uncommon.

The bulk of what is perceived as stereo separation happens above 20dB with decreasing detectable improvements above 30dB or so. It's almost impossible to detect separation improvements above 40dB. Localization of a phantom image depends less on channel separation and much more on relative intensity and inter-aural time delay of the sound, and human hearing response at different angles.
So....long answer...separation above 40dB doesn't improve sound quality, below 40dB it slowly degrades, the final separation is equal to the device with the least separation in the system. Once degraded by a device, no device following it can restore separation.
As you can see, SE crosstalk at 73 dB and balanced at 97 dB actually means nothing - we can't hear the difference.

What essentially happens is two things.
  1. People read the specs, and tell themselves balanced must sound better, and thats what they talk themselves into. In a blind volume matched test, they won't tell a difference.
  2. Most people don't volume match, and we are terrible at volume matching by ear (which is what a lot of people do). Most balanced circuits output a lot more power by design - therefore they are louder. People saying they hear a difference are often simply listening to one louder than the other. And we know louder is perceived as sounding better.
There are two other possibilities for differences:
  • The balanced circuit actually sounds better by design (unlikely given FiiO's expertise + most of the time they simply use 2 x the SE DAC / amp circuitry)
  • Impedance mismatch can affect frequency response for multi-BA driver set-ups (rarely happens with dynamics). You'll note the 12 ohm (SE) vs 1.7 ohm (bal) output.
Hope some of this makes sense. Most of the balanced discussion on Head-Fi is looking at numbers without knowing what they mean in real world terms. Especially when you're talking IEMs and portable DAPs. It sells units though - so manufacturers have to supply what the consumers want.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #294 of 398
I have Shanling M3s. MEE P1 with balanced cable sounded more lively, but it is due to more power and these IEMs are really power-hungry.
FA1 is a different story, you can drive them with a potato, so it is more of balanced nature itself I think and probably the difference will be much smaller than with P1 or I won't even notice the change.
Thanks for detailed explanations :)

Jun 9, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #296 of 398
After a week of listening I can say that the FA1 sound way better of my former Sennheiser Momentum IEM.
The sound is crystal clear, the mids and highs are incredible and the bass is very good.
I just needed time to get used to the new sound sig.
Dear friend,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 17, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #297 of 398
Wanted to know if there was an easy way to tell which one is R or L if you get the gray ones. Does it say R or L on them somewhere or do you need to look at the shape of them? Just trying to decide when on the go how hard it will be to connect the correct cable to the correct IEM.

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #298 of 398
Wanted to know if there was an easy way to tell which one is R or L if you get the gray ones. Does it say R or L on them somewhere or do you need to look at the shape of them? Just trying to decide when on the go how hard it will be to connect the correct cable to the correct IEM.
The cable has red and blue indicators, so it's still really easy to tell.

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #299 of 398
The cable has red and blue indicators, so it's still really easy to tell.

Cool, but what about when you have the cables disconnected, is there any indication on the IEMs directly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back