[FiiO FA1] Single Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors, Knowles Customized BA Driver, DLP 3D Printing Technology,Detachable MMCX Cable
Feb 7, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #107 of 398
I think you will like the fa1 for the reasons you stated; please let us know your opinion after listening.

I like the fa1 for when connected to iphone se directly or with fiio btr1k; for a better amp/dac (I use fiio q5) the fa1 cannot compete with either fa7 or fh5 for my more serious listening to music.

Actually, I have the OPPO HA2 SE as my main source along with an LG G6 Android phone, and an iPhone 4s and iTouch 8th gen.

I like how the FH5 sounds driven with these Apple devices, especially IPhone 4s. I remember some articles and people saying over different forums that the DAC on the Iphone 4s was some kind of magic, the "Leica" of the music source/DAP sources they used to say, and damn! this is not quite a crazy claim, it really sounds GREAT with all my headphones.

I've been listening more with the iPhone 4s directly, than using the OPPO HA2 via USB. For some reason, I feel it sounds cleaner, warmer and resolving; perhaps it has a leaner sound than my OPPO {OPPO sounds cold and bright}, but it feels like it is more precise. I wonder, how the FA1 would sound out of my OPPO.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #108 of 398
I like what I'm reading here about its sound signature, just the differences I wanted to hear. A more balanced sound, with lighter, tighter and faster bass response than the FH5, nice and smooth mids & highs with the vocals no as forward as the FH5.

I have the HD600 and I'm very accustomed to its sound signature; a very neutral sound with a lack of sub-bass or bass in general but it is tight listening, especially with genres like Jazz, blues, acoustic and classic; I do prefer them over the more extended, punchier, deeper FH5 bass response in those genres, though I would rather choose FH5 with genres like Hip-Hop, Electronic, modern POP. {no that good with HD600}. So, I do not mind having less "kick in the bass" with the FA1.

I will finally have them in around 12 hours.

I'd be inclined to say that the FA1 has a generous bit less bass punch / kick than the HD600. Let us know how you think they compare

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #109 of 398
Could somebody compare FA1 quantity and quality of bass with Etymotic ER3/4XR bass ?

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #110 of 398
These are some of the worst earphone I have. The bass is weak and mushy and the highs around 4k are way to loud and distorted. Changing tips helped a little but not much.

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #111 of 398
These are some of the worst earphone I have. The bass is weak and mushy and the highs around 4k are way to loud and distorted. Changing tips helped a little but not much.

Interesting - I've tested literally hundreds of IEMs - from low price up to $1000++

For $100 I find the FA1 one o the best releases FiiO has made. The bass is balanced and far from "mushy" to me (the bass is fast and textured - it just isn't over-done). If you want heavy bass use a dynamic. I've yet to find a BA bass driver which is "mushy".

And to add - there is no peak at 4 kHz (there is actually a dip). And definitely no distortion - how loud are you listening?

If you refer page 3 of this thread I've measured them. You may find the results interesting .......

If you prefer a very warm and flat presentation (but still want a BA set-up), I'd suggest trying the FA7. Not my preference (I think they are too bassy) - you may like them though.

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #113 of 398
After years of building home and car stereos frequency response of a speaker system does not mean good sound. 4k is what I was using to get it to sound a little better. I mainly use fiio x5iii or btr3 through the phone with the fh5 or f9. I listen at med to low but will crank it once in a while. If these are what you like more power to you.

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #114 of 398
After years of building home and car stereos frequency response of a speaker system does not mean good sound. 4k is what I was using to get it to sound a little better. I mainly use fiio x5iii or btr3 through the phone with the fh5 or f9. I listen at med to low but will crank it once in a while. If these are what you like more power to you.
I found the fa1 to be fine at low to mid volume on iphone se or fiio btr1k but at higher volume to be not up to the task on the fiio q5.

I do now use the fa1 for 8 to 10 hours at night for both music and spoken word audio with no problem. In fact the fa1 being of such a light and compact design I would recommend the fa1 for anyone who might use it for the purpose I described.

As mentioned before I have the luxury to use the sony mdr-1am2, fiio fh5, and fiio fa7 for more specific music listening; this form of listening is a small fraction of my total listening hours. I plan to keep the fa1 as part of my earphone usage. :)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #115 of 398
To the best of my knowledge the iphone se has 30 mW output, the fiio btr1k has 45 mW @ 16 ohms, and the fiio q5 has over 400 mW @ 16 ohms.

To think every iem can perform equally under these different outputs is a misunderstanding.

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #116 of 398
To the best of my knowledge the iphone se has 30 mW output, the fiio btr1k has 45 mW @ 16 ohms, and the fiio q5 has over 400 mW @ 16 ohms.

To think every iem can perform equally under these different outputs is a misunderstanding.

I don't understand. Why would the FA1 or any other earphone sound worse with a higher powered amplifier?

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #117 of 398
I don't understand. Why would the FA1 or any other earphone sound worse with a higher powered amplifier?
I can explain by giving a parallel in automobile engine design; in a racing engine where high rpm is needed a 'radical cam' is used where it operates at peak rpm, but at the same time runs poorly at low rpm.

Others on this site might give an even better explanation.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #118 of 398
How to start...here are my two hours listening impressions with the FA1.

I'm really loving what I hearing so far! they are exactly as some users have described in this thread, definitely! they are well balanced, warm, excellent mids, non-fatiguing, extended treble, and good details retrieval.

Actually, I would say they are like an "HD 600" in form of IEMs but a bit warmer and with a slightly less kick in the bass as someone told me above; I do not discard this might improve with burn-in. Although, about the kick in the bass, this is also very track dependent. For example, listening to Angel Olsen "My Woman" album, there were tracks where the kick in the bass felt a bit more pronounced than others track within the same album.

The vocals and mids in general.... this is a winner for me, I prefer them over the FH5. Just one track from Angel Olsen.. "Sister"; the guitars, the vocals crescendo, textures of the guitar solo, all sounded great and way more satisfying to me than listening to it from the FH5.

Soundstage, not too much difference here. Take it a grain of salt, but I would say the FA1 sounds a bit wider and has slightly better height, but the FH5 has just a bit more depth.

Comfort wise..... quite superior to me than my FH5, a good improvement with the seal, isolation, and comfort.

These are my impression, for now. No tips rolling yet, using default cable, paired with just my iTouch 8th gen. I will give more impression later with other sources, tips, and cables. They sound GREAT with Jazz, rock music, pop, acoustic.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #119 of 398

In the case of the FA1, it doesn’t matter - all 3 are more than sufficient to drive this IEM, and in this case more power adds nothing. People often malign Apple’s products for audio - but when tested they generally show extremely good linearity (especially under load). Also low distortion etc.

I own the SE, the BTR3, and the Q5 (along with a few dozen more amps and DAPs). When you volume match and properly compare, the differences are in “flavour” (tonality) and often pretty small - when dealing with easy to drive IEMs. If you’re looking for a device to deliver linearity without adding warmth etc - the SE rates very. highly

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #120 of 398
I can explain by giving a parallel in automobile engine design; in a racing engine where high rpm is needed a 'radical cam' is used where it operates at peak rpm, but at the same time runs poorly at low rpm.

Others on this site might give an even better explanation.
I've been on Head-Fi for quite a while, but I've tended to dip in only when I'm in the market for something new, so I've ended up being sort of a perpetual neophyte:).

I remember reading that sensitive ear/headphones can get too loud before the the sweet spot of a powerful amp is reached, I don't know if this is what you mean.

In any case, that wouldn't be a problem for me at this point. I use the SMSL Idea, which Audio Science Review measured as having 45 mW output at 33 ohms. I was just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back