[FiiO EM5] Beryllium-coated Dynamic Driver Earbuds
Oct 25, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #241 of 305
I can get a great deal from someone for Fiio EM5 at $200 or the Hifiman HE400SE for $175 both boxed new. I hate the HE400SE style and headband and would prefer the Sundara but its out of my reach. I'm an earbud lover, especially lower priced ones with decent bass such as Vido, Kube V2, EMX500, RY4s, etc. In the grand scheme, especially for bass response could anyone give an insight for the EM5 vs HE400SE (or at least any well known mid range open backed headphones in that price bracket)? Also would the EM5 be a great deal at $200. Btw the main thing that bothers me is the soldered cable - also hate clear silver which is visible when turned green. I'm on a tropical island and with the weather and skin oil all the cables of my earbuds becomes rigid and start to crack where they touch the side of my face. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron though and I'm used to replacing earbuds cable - just hope EM5 is easy to open up.
I never heard HE400.
I can compare with HD6XX. To be honest I sometimes prefer EM5 because they sound so open and you forget that you are wearing anything. That's the beauty of earbuds and EM5 is the best I have heard. It has wide stage, imaging and organic nature which reminds me of old bookshelf speakers sound which I love very much.

HD6XX definitely has advantage sounding big and bold but EM5 is not far off.

EM5 has best bass (mostly mid bass) for earbuds IMO. But don't expect IEM kind of bass and articulation.

The best part of EM5 is it's mids. They are a little forward but buttery smooth. Vocals sound intimate but instruments reach far out of your head creating nice wide open stage.

It has nice treble which is acceptable.

Unfortunately I sold EM5 because of the fit issues not just with this one I have had fit issues with all the earbuds I have tried.

So, if you are into earbuds and can get secure fit, you are going to love EM5.

And for $200 EM5 is a steal.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #242 of 305
I never heard HE400.
I can compare with HD6XX. To be honest I sometimes prefer EM5 because they sound so open and you forget that you are wearing anything. That's the beauty of earbuds and EM5 is the best I have heard. It has wide stage, imaging and organic nature which reminds me of old bookshelf speakers sound which I love very much.

HD6XX definitely has advantage sounding big and bold but EM5 is not far off.

EM5 has best bass (mostly mid bass) for earbuds IMO. But don't expect IEM kind of bass and articulation.

The best part of EM5 is it's mids. They are a little forward but buttery smooth. Vocals sound intimate but instruments reach far out of your head creating nice wide open stage.

It has nice treble which is acceptable.

Unfortunately I sold EM5 because of the fit issues not just with this one I have had fit issues with all the earbuds I have tried.

So, if you are into earbuds and can get secure fit, you are going to love EM5.

And for $200 EM5 is a steal.
@dsrk I appreciate you have taken your time to write these explanations and impressions. From what I've read i seems that the sound signature is not too far off the Grado SR80e (especialky the part about speakers) and that's like one of the favorite of the gears i own. Many thnx again. Will read a few more reviews and make up my mind.
P.S. Would also appreciate some comparison to TOTL earbuds - especially VE Zen.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #243 of 305
@dsrk I appreciate you have taken your time to write these explanations and impressions. From what I've read i seems that the sound signature is not too far off the Grado SR80e (especialky the part about speakers) and that's like one of the favorite of the gears i own. Many thnx again. Will read a few more reviews and make up my mind.
P.S. Would also appreciate some comparison to TOTL earbuds - especially VE Zen.
No problem.

I had VE Zen but it was a long time ago. From memory it also sounds like headphones but it has weaker bass. EM5 on the other hand can produce actual bass. It is very superior in that regard. Please take it with a grain of salt as it's from memory.

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #244 of 305
I really love my EM5, my favourite out of my small collection of buds and one I reach for ahead of much more expensive IEMs on a regular basis. It is very suited to a lot of ambient music I listen to, such beautiful mids and natural sound with incredible stage. The cable is great too, very light, soft and no microphonics. I'm lucky it fits my ears and as they are so light, you could almost forget anything in your ears - that coupled with the smooth signature allows for long sessions with zero fatigue.

Did I mention I love them?! $200 is a bargain in my opinion, serious bang for buck.

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #245 of 305
I really love my EM5, my favourite out of my small collection of buds and one I reach for ahead of much more expensive IEMs on a regular basis. It is very suited to a lot of ambient music I listen to, such beautiful mids and natural sound with incredible stage. The cable is great too, very light, soft and no microphonics. I'm lucky it fits my ears and as they are so light, you could almost forget anything in your ears - that coupled with the smooth signature allows for long sessions with zero fatigue.

Did I mention I love them?! $200 is a bargain in my opinion, serious bang for buck.
Fully agree with everything you’ve written. These seem fantastic. I’ve only had them for a day but I love them

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #247 of 305
I was gonna sell them a year ago and yesterday I tried them again, and I’m so glad I didn’t sell them. They are must incredible. I think I’d actually buy another spare pair of there’s a good deal.
Fiio stoped making them ?!!

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #248 of 305
I was gonna sell them a year ago and yesterday I tried them again, and I’m so glad I didn’t sell them. They are must incredible. I think I’d actually buy another spare pair of there’s a good deal.
Fiio stoped making them ?!!
Wow, didn't know they stopped production. I don't use often, but do occasionally for a different sound. I do like them much.

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #250 of 305
They are freaking amazing but my inner ear shape doesn't help at all in achieving a proper fit.
BTW, never heard of FiiO stopping production.
I purchased some earbud wings that go over the outer shell. The foam is able to stretch over the shape, so that's not an issue. With the wings, I get a secure fit that doesn't move

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #252 of 305
Dec 14, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #253 of 305
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #254 of 305
117857499_3305668049490705_5552600752655906643_o.jpg

In its quest to be uncompromising in every aspect, the EM5 does not let you down with its sound quality. The large 14.2mm beryllium-plated diaphragm ensures well-extended, well-textured, and plentiful bass. The lightness and notable rigidity of beryllium also allows the EM5 to present well-extended and detailed treble. Together, the EM5 capitalizes on the strengths of its driver and presents you with an unforgettable bold sound.
Is it safe to put beryllium in your ears? It is not only noted for its rigidity, but also as being highly toxic and carcinogenic.

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #255 of 305
Is it safe to put beryllium in your ears? It is not only noted for its rigidity, but also as being highly toxic and carcinogenic.

Here is an explanation and video mentioned by James for some users in Weibo before:
https://weibo.com/2388602863/JzFmud...2863_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment
Some people ask whether beryllium is toxic and safe to use in headphones. In fact, you can rest assured that not to mention the skin contact, even if the brief contact is harmless. Beryllium is toxic to people because of the inhalation of high concentrations of beryllium and its compounds, or long-term exposure to beryllium oxide and metal beryllium fumes. The video is the real video we shot to disassemble and contact the beryllium plated diaphragm. Warning: Please do not imitate this video to avoid unnecessary trouble. In addition, beryllium has been used in audio equipment for a long time and has a large number of applications, and there are no examples of any harm caused to people as a result.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back