FiiO EM3 - Impression and Discussion
Mar 26, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #136 of 362
The EM3 looks interesting, however traditional style earbuds fall out of my ears very easily while I am active. Have you thought about making a version of this with adjustable ear hooks?

It would also be good if  a version would be made without the mic and remote, and with just three contacts on the connector.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #137 of 362
I'd like to see ergonomic earbuds. A non-canal earbud that actually fits most ears well would be a welcome innovation.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #139 of 362
I wish to see as accessories from FIIO :sunglasses:

Have you tried those add on pieces? Imo it seems like they are probably not as good as having ear hooks, and might not fit on the earphones you want to use them with. Ear hooks work if they are very adjustable.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #141 of 362
I would like to see FiiO make an over ear headphone. Wishful thinking I know. I hope the EM3 are made with the same care and thought as their other products.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #145 of 362
I started to read through the first few pages and noticed a lot of interest in comparison of FiiO EM3 ($10) to VE Monk ($5), so figured to jump in with a short write up.

Earbuds were never my cup of tea due to my ear anatomy.  My concha area, right outside of earcanal opening, is rather small so I can't fit well earbuds which means not being able to have a proper evaluation of low end impact.  So I typically go for a naked fit, without those sponge foamies/donuts.  The generic shell, such as the one used in Monk, is really at the threshold of comfort but I can still tolerate it, and as a matter of fact with a new ZEN 2.0 and updated shell I can fit it better.  FiiO's EM3 is even smaller in comparison - this one fits perfectly.  Overall EM3 design is slicker, more original, unlike Monk which is more generic.  Also, addition of universal single button in-line mic is a plus for smartphone control and playback control with some FiiO DAPs.  I also like L-shaped headphone jack better.  Overall, in terms of external design I will give more credit to EM3, which also justifies the price difference.

When it comes to sound, I found Monk to be more transparent, with a clean, open, and more expanded sound, noticeable improvement in width and depth which I found to be above average in comparison to EM3.  I'm getting less sub-bass (unless I push earbuds in with my fingers), but still a fast punchy mid-bass without any spillage into lower mids, lower mids are leaner, and upper mids are clear and smooth with a good natural delivery of vocals, treble is also clear with a little more sparkle, crispier definition, and slightly more airiness

With EM3 the sound is more intimate and soundstage is just average, while tonality is warmer, and sound is thicker.  I'm hearing deeper sub-bass and more bass impact due to smaller earbuds that fit better in my ears.  But I also hear a bit of spillage into lower mids that have fuller body, which along with more bass make sound a little more congested and a bit muddy, though it could be fixed with EQ.  Upper mids are clear, smooth, with a good organic delivery of vocals, treble is clear and well defined, but not as extended and not with too much airiness.

Based on my personal sound preference, Monk hits closer to home for me, though I wish for the best of both worlds by combining EM3 design with Monk driver/tuning.

For comparison, here are some pictures (click to expand):

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #148 of 362
Great impressions, might have to look into the monks, your verdict on the EM3`s is spot on with what I heard. I hold the sennheiser ie800`s as my preferred sound signature and thought that the E100`s were decently close. Unfortunately they have driver damage, do you think the Monks will be a good fit for me for more casual use? Thanks in advance. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #150 of 362
An inexpensive and good-sounding earbud with a mic? I'm in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back