FiiO Earbuds Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #151 of 289
You can't be more wrong. FF3 with Btr5 is meh. Sounds sharp most of the time. With Sony ZX507 it's much better. And with desktop Aune S6 it's sooooooooo much better. It scales very much with better equipment. But sounds quite nice even from phone or apple dongle.
Probably not the best way to have a civil debate with someone. Your first post is to tell someone (who is a respected reviewer) that they "couldn't be more wrong".

Not saying you are right or wrong here. That is irrelevant! If you want people to take you seriously, then maybe let people know that this is your opinion, but without being rude to others. Everybody's opinion matters here (yours included), because this hobby is almost purely subjective in the end.

Feb 21, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #152 of 289
Probably not the best way to have a civil debate with someone. Your first post is to tell someone (who is a respected reviewer) that they "couldn't be more wrong".

Not saying you are right or wrong here. That is irrelevant! If you want people to take you seriously, then maybe let people know that this is your opinion, but without being rude to others. Everybody's opinion matters here (yours included), because this hobby is almost purely subjective in the end.

It’s alright :dt880smile:. I have to deal with full-fledge PhDs behaving like children at work at the moment (“you told me to write, I write one paragraph already. Why I’m not the primary author yet? No authorship no writing”) so, it’s alright.

I‘m not sure what he / she was referring to, but it is true that FF3 can sound better with a bit more power. Still, none of Fiio’s IEMs and headphones seem to “scale” significantly, possibly by design. For example, some IEMs can lose a star when listening with mediocre source. Fiio stuffs on the other hand, do not change too much. Thus, easier to review and wider usability.

Feb 21, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #153 of 289
It’s alright :dt880smile:. I have to deal with full-fledge PhDs behaving like children at work at the moment (“you told me to write, I write one paragraph already. Why I’m not the primary author yet? No authorship no writing”) so, it’s alright.

I‘m not sure what he / she was referring to, but it is true that FF3 can sound better with a bit more power. Still, none of Fiio’s IEMs and headphones seem to “scale” significantly, possibly by design. For example, some IEMs can lose a star when listening with mediocre source. Fiio stuffs on the other hand, do not change too much. Thus, easier to review and wider usability.
Yes, and the really good news on that front is that I don't think they really NEED to scale, as they both sound very good either way (to my ears). :)

With the hit that the FF3 and FF5 have been thus far, I (for one) certainly hope they are working on an FF7 model.. :) (hint, hint, @FiiO:wink:)

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #154 of 289
Feb 22, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #155 of 289
Hmm, comparison difference. @o0genesis0o only mentions FF5 pairing decently with BTR5, not FF3. Maybe FF3 does sound bad with BTR5? Either way I like both FF5 and FF3 for the different sound signatures they have.
I think I have posted the same observation before. The FF3 does sound little sibilant with the btr5. The best pair for FF3 would be the fiio ka2, probably the reason for which fiio released both of these products on a single day. I can't comment on the FF5 though as I am still waiting it to be released in my country.

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #156 of 289
I think I have posted the same observation before. The FF3 does sound little sibilant with the btr5. The best pair for FF3 would be the fiio ka2, probably the reason for which fiio released both of these products on a single day. I can't comment on the FF5 though as I am still waiting it to be released in my country.
Is there a reason you don't buy the FF5 from the FiiO AliExpress store? If it is a matter of warranty, FiiO will honor full warranty if you bought it from their AE store. Ah, maybe import tax is the reason. Anyway, myself and others that bought on the day of release bought directly from FiiO AE.

Edit: Funnily enough, I went to the 1st page of this thread and clicked the link for FF5 from the FiiO AE store and it shows it is not available anymore, like what's up with that?? Anyway, can still be purchased from other AE stores.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #157 of 289
Is there a reason you don't buy the FF5 from the FiiO AliExpress store? If it is a matter of warranty, FiiO will honor full warranty if you bought it from their AE store. Ah, maybe import tax is the reason. Anyway, myself and others that bought on the day of release bought directly from FiiO AE.

Edit: Funnily enough, I went to the 1st page of this thread and clicked the link for FF5 from the FiiO AE store and it shows it is not available anymore, like what's up with that?? Anyway, can still be purchased from other AE stores.
And, if you live in such an area that you can get it, it is also available from the FiiO Amazon store.

Edit: WOW! They aren't shown as available on their own website either, even though they have the EM3K/EMS, EM5 and FF3 available... I wonder if this is something like the UTWS5, or if they have already decided to discontinue the product???? @FiiO could you please clarify this for us? :)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #158 of 289
Feb 22, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #159 of 289
While I have not tried the FF3 with the BTR5, they CAN be a bit fatiguing with no foams on, or with certain sources.

Having said that, the foams that FiiO included in their buds are of the best quality, and actually make a pretty sizeable (and quantifiable) difference between crisp, balanced, and bass foams. I have found the balanced foams to be the best compromise between the two. The crisp foams have too much energy in the 3k region (something I am terribly sensitive to), and the bass foams give it more bass, but kill the treble overall just a bit too much for my ears.

@mt877 did a FANTASTIC write-up (on the earbuds round-up thread, you could do a search for it if interested) for the quality (read density and consistency) of some common earbud foams. The FiiO foams were not only of amazing quality but were very consistent (unlike other foams out there that are mass produced).

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #160 of 289
There you go. it's a bit smaller and also it has better fit. It's a standard Fit where the Mx500 is on the bigger size.
Oh, thank you so much! I've come to love the Mx500 size but I think it'll fit me great with the silicone thing. Looks like a great shape and a small difference anyway. I guess I'll be buying them. For other europeans, they seemed to be available on wifimedia for a reasonable price.

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #161 of 289
Oh, thank you so much! I've come to love the Mx500 size but I think it'll fit me great with the silicone thing. Looks like a great shape and a small difference anyway. I guess I'll be buying them. For other europeans, they seemed to be available on wifimedia for a reasonable price.
You are welcome. Btw you can get them cheaper on fiio-shop de. Consider that is a very mediocre mid focussed earbud (especially female vocals). Don't expect any miracle for the price.

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #163 of 289
hello. does anyone tried to change cable to another one? I mean FF5. does it make any changes? thank you.
Changed cable ASAP. Now i have nice soft cable which doesn't irritate me.

Attachments

• BF192F06-AE15-4D5A-95D1-F4AE0FD9A253.jpeg
    BF192F06-AE15-4D5A-95D1-F4AE0FD9A253.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #164 of 289
hello. does anyone tried to change cable to another one? I mean FF5. does it make any changes? thank you.
I think it makes a difference in sound based on the material the cables use, and the specs on the wire (resistance, capacitance, etc... so the quality of the build). So, if you think there is too much treble (for instance) using a higher impedance cable and/or a pure copper cable should help with that. Having said that, YMMV because while it may sound like a night and day difference to some, others think it a subtle change, while still some others don't notice it at all.

Also, don't forget about the foams. The provided (differently labeled) foams make more of a noticeable difference than any other foams I have tried for earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back