FiiO Earbuds Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #46 of 289
I have been on Head-Fi a long time, and it has been a while since I have been "wowed" by any hardware. That changed after I recently received a set of the FF3's. These buds are significantly better than my prior earbud benchmark (Yuin PK-1) and they are very pleasantly tuned for those times I don't want to wear an IEM on the go. Moreover, I don't feel like I am missing much (if anything) by choosing to use these over my AT ESW-9's or JH-13's. Nice job FIIO!

I will be keeping an eye out for the FF5, but these really fit a portable niche I have been looking to fill for years.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #47 of 289
Such an interesting audio device. I got mine for dog walks, encouraged by the reports of low isolation. I don’t trust the transparency modes on wireless gear, they are meant for specific scenarios and won’t pick up certain sounds I need to be fully aware of - worse, they may even cancel out the distant clink of another dog’s leash, and boy does my furry buddy love trouble :metal:

Anyway, the reports were right, these are as transparent as it gets, when there’s no music on they filter nothing out, just like my Grado headphones. I got the FF3 to replace the Cleer ARC, wireless ‘‘open-ear’’ earphones which beam sound to your ear like mini-speakers without obstructing the ear canal. There’s a lot in common between the ARC and FF3, it’s the same fundamental broadcasting principle, both sport a very wide driver and large apertures on the ear-facing side, and both make music sound a bit distant, far from the intimate, physical experience of music you can get with good iems. Both still manage to push a substantial amount of bass, and conjure a sense of vast space.

The FF3 sound less distant though, more engaging, top-to-bottom more precise and better defined, the vocals clearer, with fine PRaT in spite of the fullness of the sound. Extension is good, and sub-bass is surprisingly strong despite the form factor. Bass guitar lines and foot pedals don’t get pushed back. Sub-bass is the element that varies the most depending on how the FF3 are worn, but it never disappears completely. The rest of the spectrum sounds very similar whether you can shove the FF3 close to your ear canal, almost like an iem, or you wear them more relaxed, but the secret in this sauce is volume. For someone like me with a deep bend in their concha, it’s almost impossible to secure the FF3 tight. Twisting only makes matters worse.
Instead it’s about embracing a different wear. I pull gently on the cable, as if to dislodge the buds, until I get them to a place where they feel stable, then I just raise the volume to replicate what I hear when they sit closer to my ear canal. It takes a minute to adjust mentally to such a big sound, full-frequency and timbre-correct, emanating from what feel like iems about to fall off. In this regard a powerful source is very important. I use the 3.5 out of my Qudelix and it’s enough, but I’ll tap Fiio to get the 2.5 termination for the FF3’s cable, which seems to be the same as the LC-RC or LC-RE.

It was such a struggle to understand how to wear these that I initially approached the vendor for a return (it was Hifi-passion.de, and they made all the wrong noises by the way, managed to try and make me feel stupid and negligent within the same e-mail, got confrontational, and never tried to offer anything to salvage some commercial satisfaction). I’m really getting somewhere now.

Question to you guys more experienced with earbuds: if I manage these, is there a chance I’d get along with classic Sennheiser MX shells? I can’t remember what it was like to wear buds in my younger years, but my interest in buds is piqued anew and I’m looking at TGXEar.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #49 of 289
Question to you guys more experienced with earbuds: if I manage these, is there a chance I’d get along with classic Sennheiser MX shells? I can’t remember what it was like to wear buds in my younger years, but my interest in buds is piqued anew and I’m looking at TGXEar.
If you're fitting the FF3 well, MX500 shells should not be a problem. I have the TGXEar Serratus, they're very light in comparison to the FF3's. @tgx78 uses a pretty light and flexible 4 core braided cable with 4.4mm Pentaconn plug. If your sources don't have a 4.4mm socket, then you'll need an adapter. If you plan to use your Qudelix, then you'll definitely need a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter for TGXEar earbuds.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #50 of 289
Needing a new earbuds i saw some good reviews and got the fiio ff3. gotta say it turn out to be a great acquisition.. it exceeded my expectations

has become my go to buds
You made an excellent choice. The FF3 are outstanding earbuds.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #51 of 289
I have been on Head-Fi a long time, and it has been a while since I have been "wowed" by any hardware. That changed after I recently received a set of the FF3's. These buds are significantly better than my prior earbud benchmark (Yuin PK-1) and they are very pleasantly tuned for those times I don't want to wear an IEM on the go. Moreover, I don't feel like I am missing much (if anything) by choosing to use these over my AT ESW-9's or JH-13's. Nice job FIIO!

I will be keeping an eye out for the FF5, but these really fit a portable niche I have been looking to fill for years.
FiiO is really committed to bringing top quality flat head earbuds to market. They don't do it because they think they will make big profits on earbuds, rather they do it because their founder James is an earbud fan and under his direction he wants to release top quality earbuds for the flat head earbud fans. The FF3 are outstanding buds and I'm waiting for the FF5 release as well (hopefully should be coming before years end).

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #53 of 289
I wonder if fiio are riding the success on the FF3 and not wanting to release the FF5 too soon.

I think that could very well be part of it, especially if they're still seeing strong sales off the FF3s which it seems like they probably are. I also think the FF3s became more popular than they probably anticipated so getting the FF5s right has likely taken a step up in importance because of the increased visibility and anticipation brought about by the success of the FF3s.

That's all just speculation on my part obviously, but that's how it makes sense to me. Also, as an early adopter of the FF3s and a guy who praises them a lot on the Earbuds Round-up thread, it kinda makes me feel a bit stupid that it took me this long to run across this thread lol! 🤣

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #54 of 289
I think that could very well be part of it, especially if they're still seeing strong sales off the FF3s which it seems like they probably are. I also think the FF3s became more popular than they probably anticipated so getting the FF5s right has likely taken a step up in importance because of the increased visibility and anticipation brought about by the success of the FF3s.

That's all just speculation on my part obviously, but that's how it makes sense to me. Also, as an early adopter of the FF3s and a guy who praises them a lot on the Earbuds Round-up thread, it kinda makes me feel a bit stupid that it took me this long to run across this thread lol! 🤣
Think they stated in some other thread that they're planning to release the FF5's this year, so I guess we'll see them on their next release event. :)

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #55 of 289
Think they stated in some other thread that they're planning to release the FF5's this year, so I guess we'll see them on their next release event. :)

Yeah, the originally had it slated for release in September. Then one of their customer service reps said they believed it would be mid-November and it looks like that isn't happening either. I have been checking regularly to see if any new info on a date has been put out there, but keep coming up blank. Wait and see it is...

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #56 of 289
Yeah, the originally had it slated for release in September. Then one of their customer service reps said they believed it would be mid-November and it looks like that isn't happening either. I have been checking regularly to see if any new info on a date has been put out there, but keep coming up blank. Wait and see it is...
Post from last week: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...e-from-jamesfiio.963268/page-10#post-17242391

Fingers crossed it's true. :)

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #57 of 289
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #58 of 289
Fiio rep told me that FF5 was scheduled for December. Hopefully they are still able to catch the deadline. Even if FF5 is just FF3 without that annoying cable, I would be so glad.
Maybe FF5 will be higher impedance, deep "feel in your chest" bass, to die for midrange and airy treble extension, expansive sound stage with 7.1 theater surround sound... might as well have fun making some outrageous speculations, heck some of them might even be true. LOL.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #59 of 289
Maybe FF5 will be higher impedance, deep "feel in your chest" bass, to die for midrange and airy treble extension, expansive sound stage with 7.1 theater surround sound... might as well have fun making some outrageous speculations, heck some of them might even be true. LOL.
How about … deep V-shape Fiio house sound to “jazz” things up

I’ll cry in the corner now.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #60 of 289
( Cross post from the TGXear thread. )

On the subject of what frankenstein adapter eartips with wings can be created...

I took it as a challenge to see if I could find ones on the market that I could adapt.
The ones below work quite well. They are easily available, and cheap.
With the wing eartips, the earbuds are very secure/stable in the ear. Can wear for hours without needing to adjust them.
The wing fits in the inner hollow of the Antihelix, and apply some downward pressure on the earbud,
and the earbud is held quite securely at the lower side by the Tragus and Antitragus.

Silicon wing eartips:

Original silicon, made for airpods, I believe. Cut a hole at the back.
(This is proof of concept, so not a neat cutout. But you don't really notice, once they are stretched over the earbud.
I still haven't figured out how to cut a neat hole. Maybe a hole puncher to make a ring of small holes.....)
I picked these up at a local store, but am sure I have seen similar online.
Original tip.jpeg

wing1 - This is how it looks installed on the earbud
wing1.jpeg

Wing2 - Different style of wing, on the EM5. I kind of like how this one feels in the ear.
Wing2.jpeg

Wing1 with foam cover. For more treble, use without the foam.
wing & foam cover.jpeg

undefined

Users who are viewing this thread

Back