FiiO Earbuds Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #257 of 289
Your FF3s have such a great reputation that I've been eagerly awaiting the announced version with the detachable cable. However, your decision to use a proprietary cable has completely frozen my expectations. I guess that's not how any of the potential buyers envisioned it... Hopefully next time you will make a decision for the sake of the customer so that the possibility of replacing the cable makes elementary sense...
+1

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #258 of 289
Your FF3s have such a great reputation that I've been eagerly awaiting the announced version with the detachable cable. However, your decision to use a proprietary cable has completely frozen my expectations. I guess that's not how any of the potential buyers envisioned it... Hopefully next time you will make a decision for the sake of the customer so that the possibility of replacing the cable makes elementary sense...
Dear friends,

1. Cable detachable design could reduce the aftersale cost: Generally, the aftersales of cable are the highest percentage of headphone after-sales. Although manufacturers have after-sales warranty policies, the warranty has a time limit. Thus, after the warranty period, if the headphones are not cable detachable, they are usually just discarded. If it is cable detachable, the user can use the headphone again after replacing the cable.
2. If the requirement of update cable is high, we will also consider about that.
3. Why not adopt the more universal 2PIN flat connector?
Based on the after-sales data of our previous FH1S/FD1 and other IEMs which adopted flat 2PIN connectors, the repair rate was obviously higher than the MMCX’s, of which the 2-pin connector was broken or bending. While the flushed and recessed combination structure is more firm and stable, and the round shape is to coordinate with the styling.
4. Why not adopt the MMCX connector?
We have been using only the most expensive expanded MMCX connectors in the industry. The cost is high, so it is not appropriate for the FF1/FF3. Currently, we only adopt the MMCX connectors on our mid-to-high-end IEMs.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 12, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #260 of 289
Dear friends,

1. Cable detachable design could reduce the aftersale cost: Generally, the aftersales of cable are the highest percentage of headphone after-sales. Although manufacturers have after-sales warranty policies, the warranty has a time limit. Thus, after the warranty period, if the headphones are not cable detachable, they are usually just discarded. If it is cable detachable, the user can use the headphone again after replacing the cable.
2. If the requirement of update cable is high, we will also consider about that.
3. Why not adopt the more universal 2PIN flat connector?
Based on the after-sales data of our previous FH1S/FD1 and other IEMs which adopted flat 2PIN connectors, the repair rate was obviously higher than the MMCX’s, of which the 2-pin connector was broken or bending. While the flushed and recessed combination structure is more firm and stable, and the round shape is to coordinate with the styling.
4. Why not adopt the MMCX connector?
We have been using only the most expensive expanded MMCX connectors in the industry. The cost is high, so it is not appropriate for the FF1/FF3. Currently, we only adopt the MMCX connectors on our mid-to-high-end IEMs.

Best regards
No one is disappointed with the overall argument of point number one. What people are saying is that FiiO has made sure that those after-sales are captured by FiiO, rather than being able to have the choice of using the cable, material, make-up, length, etc... of their choosing. The idea of a detachable cable needs no explanation as to why it is better to have; this is what the consumer (us/we) has requested, and for the reasons you have stated.

Point two is irrelevant, and provides only the illusion of choice here. FiiO would still be selling, and at whatever price they deem fit, whatever this "updated" cable might be.

Point three and four is also irrelevant. I don't think anyone has issue with the "type" of connector being used. As for being round, it is not round, it is oval(ish), and you can call it coordinating with styling, but consider this. FiiO had to actually spent extra money on R&D and material and processing to make this proprietary. While FiiO might claim innovation, I see it as a money grab, and that it was done for that reason alone, not so called "styling" IMO. If we are talking about reducing aftersales cost, why not use the standard (already existing) 2 pin connector? In essence and looking at it from an audiophile's point of view, you have bascially vastly wasted their money because there are a ton of them out there that will spend an exorbitant amount of money on getting just the right cable, and FiiO has made all of them irrelevant and worthless by taking the choice out of their hands.

As for me, I don't own a ton of cables, but I DO like to cable roll to "fine-tune" the sound to my liking. But, this is not the major issue for me though. I dislike when a company does "dirty little things" like this for greed's sake (not really giving the customer what they want, but only the illusion that they have).

As for the argument that this increases the overall life and value of the buds, I would also argue that point. Yes, you can source a replacement cable from FiiO, but what happens when these are discontinued? You are still stuck with a "throw-away" product. FiiO has a habit of doing just this. I bought the X5 (OG) and X3II, and the same thing happened with those. They were discontinued, and completely abandoned without even finishing the fixes that were sorely needed for the software...

Anyhow, I digress for now, but I would appreciate not using "political speak" to address the concerns about the connection being proprietary, and not even really addressing the concern. Nowhere in your lengthy post except for this tiny phrase:
and the round shape is to coordinate with the styling.
did you address the concern; and you were quoting another poster about this very concern that you skirted around. You explained why the detachable cable was used as if THAT were the answer to the concern. This smacks of purposeful misdirection or misunderstanding that a lot of (lesser) Chinese stores are so good at when making a warranty claim, or at displeasure of the product by the consumer.

I get it. All companies need to make money to "keep the doors" open, but I am not very fond of behaviors like those of Apple, for instance, that lock you into their (and only their) eco-system.

Anyhow, apologies for sounding so harsh, but I needed to state my thoughts on this matter (which up until now, I have only alluded to, or only said in short sentences).

Oct 21, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #261 of 289
A newbie to buds I have just got the FF3 and ff5 got to say I'm mighty impressed with one caveat... Getting those crisp donut foams on is one of the most frustrating things ever 😂🤣

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #262 of 289
Hi,
I wanted to add earbudsvto my collection of headphones and IEM’s.
I was hoping if someone could give me some advice.
I can choose between a set of used EM5 for 110,- euro, a new set of FF3 for 119,- euro and a new FF5 for 139,- euro. Which one is the best for me to buy and why?

kind regards,
Pascal

*edit* well I bought the ff5. They are good but not fantastic. More focused on mids and highs. But this was expected because of earbuds design. Will keep them because they are the only earbuds in my collection (until the Venture monk arrive which I ordered. Can’t wait for a comparison).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #263 of 289
High-quality silver-plated copper balanced headphone cable LS-4.4B Is Officially Released!
To better cater to users of the FF1 and the FF3S, we made a brand-new high-quality headphone cable, LS-4.4B.
For more information, you could check: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hig...-cable-ls-4-4b-is-officially-released.970299/
1698460025808.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #265 of 289
Joined the FF5 club today and expectations were met. It sounds very open and pleasant. Good job, FiiO! :muscle:

1711749340225.png

Only two downsides from my end:

1) This :point_down:

Getting those crisp donut foams on is one of the most frustrating things ever 😂🤣

2) The stock cable​

Had a spare FD7 cable around and I don't think I am going back to stock. Not to mention the new fit, way more secure than we used to do back in the 80s/90s.

1711749691746.png
1711749407160.png

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #266 of 289
Joined the FF5 club today and expectations were met. It sounds very open and pleasant. Good job, FiiO! :muscle:

i have a pair and i liked the ff3 and em5 both better

but i had to set the soundfield (simulates a more open wide sound) on my player to +13% on the ff3 and em5 because they are not open back like the ff5

so the more open sound was definately more natural on the ff5, but it also lets in a bit more external sound

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #267 of 289
i have a pair and i liked the ff3 and em5 both better

but i had to set the soundfield (simulates a more open wide sound) on my player to +13% on the ff3 and em5 because they are not open back like the ff5

so the more open sound was definately more natural on the ff5, but it also lets in a bit more external sound
interesting. i dont have such digital bending tool and still the ff3 sounds much much more spacious than the ff5 to me. the ff5 is an intimate sounding fatiguing wanna be in my books.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #268 of 289
interesting. i dont have such digital bending tool and still the ff3 sounds much much more spacious than the ff5 to me. the ff5 is an intimate sounding fatiguing wanna be in my books.

every headphone needs eq to fix the sound signature

my biggest problem with the ff3 and ff5 is i get static electric shocks from my clothes > body > then it jumps to the metal in the earbud

using the em5 with foams helps because they are resin and not metal

i started spraying my clothes with a liquid fabric softener mixed with water

ff3 i can only wear in the summer when im wearing less clothes

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #269 of 289
every headphone needs eq to fix the sound signature

my biggest problem with the ff3 and ff5 is i get static electric shocks from my clothes > body > then it jumps to the metal in the earbud

using the em5 with foams helps because they are resin and not metal

i started spraying my clothes with a liquid fabric softener mixed with water

I would respectfully disagree with the first statement. Personally, I prefer headphones that fit me so well with their sound that I don't feel the need to intervene with EQ. However, I have to admit that this is not the case with the FF3, those I add a bit of air with the MSEB. Nevertheless, I am very fond of them.
Those issues you have with static electricity with metal earbuds are pretty unique in my opinion. It must be annoying. Let me joke: maybe you're a powerful bioelectric unit (sort of like an electric eel), which you could use to recharge your DAP on the fly ⚡😁🖖
(Apologies for the translator, the gist will hopefully be understandable.)

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #270 of 289
"The new FiiO FF3, use them anyhow you like, but the prerequisite is that you must wear them naked".....

I am not sure that would go over well in their marketing department... :wink:
I would respectfully disagree with the first statement. Personally, I prefer headphones that fit me so well with their sound that I don't feel the need to intervene with EQ. However, I have to admit that this is not the case with the FF3, those I add a bit of air with the MSEB. Nevertheless, I am very fond of them.
Those issues you have with static electricity with metal earbuds are pretty unique in my opinion. It must be annoying. Let me joke: maybe you're a powerful bioelectric unit (sort of like an electric eel), which you could use to recharge your DAP on the fly ⚡😁🖖
(Apologies for the translator, the gist will hopefully be understandable.)
I agree with this statement as well. Though, like you there are a couple of sets that need just a bit of help. Though I have never been against EQ, I try and find sets that don't need it. But that is also one of the things I like about the ones I have in my collection; yes they are all different, but that was my goal. I don't want them to all sound the same/similar.

So, for me I don't EQ the FF3 at all. They are great for what they are. Are they a bit rolled off at the top end? Yes, but that and the amazing bass are what I like about them. The FF5 are also great for what they are. They don't have the amount of bass that the FF3 have, but again that was the goal for me (more of an analytical sound), and I find to be so much less shouty than other similarly tuned buds... This makes them fit into the "awesome" territory for my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back