FiiO E9 Review
May 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #961 of 1,324

Quote:
The potentiometer ( analog volume knob ) have better sound quality because it is a passive component and will not install any distortion and noise. of course,  it come with adjustment noise and unbalance in the first segment . you can set the gain at low to avoid the unbalance. 

the best position should be between 9:00 to 12:00 clock.

thanks for the reply, that seems like a viable.  And, as mentioned, easier to adjust the volume.  But it was SQ I was interested in

May 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #962 of 1,324
I ordred my Fiio E9 Sat after selling my Xonar STX the same day, I was wondering Which Gain setting I would use for the AKG 702s Low or high. 

May 24, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #963 of 1,324
Whatever gets you between 9 and 12 on the volume pot (the sweet spot for the E9). Ironically, I believe it will be both, so I'd just use whatever gets you nearest to 10-11. I haven't owned the K701 for awhile, but I believe High Gain got me to the right spot.

May 25, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #964 of 1,324
I got the amp earlier today and I enjoying it very much, My AKG 702s sound like a whole another headphone thru this amp. I glad I sold my Xonar STX to fund my Fiio E9 purchase.Now what left is for me to save up to put this Old A2 back into retirement. But with me enjoying my headphones while I save.

May 25, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #965 of 1,324
I know that when headphones are plugged in, the line-out in back is cut off. But on my e9, when I unplug the headphones, the line out does not return. Has anyone else had that issue? 

Assuming this is a problem, do I go back to where I bought it, or should I contact FiiO directly?

May 26, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #967 of 1,324
It is part of the design, either the output is through the headphone jacks or through the 3.5mm / RCA output at the rear but not simultaneously. I'd rather they made a switch of some sort than rather having to pull out the headphones every time one wants to listen to speakers; this procedure itself acts as a switch but it's not too convenient.

May 26, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #968 of 1,324

Quote:
It is part of the design, either the output is through the headphone jacks or through the 3.5mm / RCA output at the rear but not simultaneously. I'd rather they made a switch of some sort than rather having to pull out the headphones every time one wants to listen to speakers; this procedure itself acts as a switch but it's not too convenient.

From what I've understood, the issue is that after unplugging the headphones, the RCA output doesn't switch on again. Could it be a faulty unit or is it something that happens with all E9 amps? And does a simple power off fix it?

May 26, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #969 of 1,324

Quote:
From what I've understood, the issue is that after unplugging the headphones, the RCA output doesn't switch on again. Could it be a faulty unit or is it something that happens with all E9 amps? And does a simple power off fix it?

Correct. Im glad that it shuts down the line out when headphones are plugged in, but I want to to return to line out when I unplug them. By the way, Im using the 3.5mm line out jack.

May 26, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #970 of 1,324
That's a pre-out, not a line out, meaning it's volume controlled by the E9. Make sure the E9 isn't at a low enough volume where you can't hear anything.

May 26, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #971 of 1,324
Oops, I thought it was line out.... Either way, If I have the volume half way up, listening to powered speakers plugged into the pre-out, plug in headphones, and then unplug them (with out touching the volume on the amp or the speakers), still no sound.

May 26, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #972 of 1,324
Make sure the speakers are like desktop speakers and not full blown speakers.... the Pre-out wasn't meant for that.

May 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #975 of 1,324
They connect with a 3.5mm jack. But, they work fine until headphones are plugged in (which should cut off the speakers), and then unplugged (at which time, I assume the audio would go back to the speakers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back