FiiO E9 Review
Apr 23, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #796 of 1,324
Surprised nobody replied to this. The soundstage will definitely get larger. I don't think the E7 can drive the HD-650 to 100%. Not saying it won't sound good.
The E9 is a good match for the HD-650. It's quite neutral though and won't change it's signature much, if at all. It won't add any extra bass, based on my experience.
The soundstage is fairly large with the HD-650 and E9. The soundstage of the HD-650 on the Asgard is really quite small. My Asgard just seems to make the mids more forward (yet not with the K702?! Darn) and improve the bass. It actually gives me too much extra bass at times for some songs. The HD-650 is more fun to listen to on the Asgard, but I guess I can't give up he larger soundstage I get on the E9. The HD-650 also sounds a bit more clear on the E9. Not sure why.

FYI you can often find the E9 on Amazon for $117. I got mine from Amazon warehouse deals for this price and it was like new. I took a tiny risk just to save $10. What a cheapskate!

I like the E9 so much with my K702 I just bought another K601. I'll see how the E9 drives that. Sometimes I prefer my HD-650 for music over the K702, so the K601 might be a good alternative.

Quote:
Recently received the HD650 after having used the HD595s for some years. I really love them and the appear to open up more and more by the hour (less than 30h listened so far) . I am  still looking for a decent amp but current budget is tight. I was thinking of the fiio E9 as I currently got the fiio E7 and it would be a logical upgrade. I must say tough that the fiio E7 alone the HD650 appears to have a narrower sound stage in comparison with two other non dedicated DACs (Native instruments Audio 2 DJ and my old but trusted Terratec Dmx 6Fire). I assume it is due to being underpowered in comparison to the two others (cant find any info but the volume dials need to be lower for identical levels)? Hence I wondered whether in the experience of E9 or E7/E9 combo owners the sound stage is likely to open up a bit more with the E9?

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #797 of 1,324
Thanks for the comment. I think I will give it a go with the E9. I am still debating whether to get the AKG K701 as well as they are selling here in Europe for 189 Euro with  2 years of warranty which is a bit of a bargain. I like the non-fatiquing nature of the HD650 but feel like I am missing out on something. I can always send them back. Keeping both might be the way to go but as mentioned budget is a bit tight right now.

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #798 of 1,324

Quote:
Thanks for the comment. I think I will give it a go with the E9. I am still debating whether to get the AKG K701 as well as they are selling here in Europe for 189 Euro with  2 years of warranty which is a bit of a bargain. I like the non-fatiquing nature of the HD650 but feel like I am missing out on something.

My friend, I hate to say it, but I have to wonder if what you need is a recable. I dont normally advocate that sort of overpriced lunacy, but I will be interested to hear what your opinion of the K701 is if you already 'feel like I am missing out on something'. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #799 of 1,324

Quote:
I'm a believer in cable voodoo, but only for the analogue connection. Does cable voodoo really work with digital connections?!  I should get a good quality USB cable and experiment.

Yes.. USB cable voodo works. Using a Furutech Formula 2 USB cable on my main system.  Opened up detail, sound stage and added a little more weigh (Mac- PSAudio DL3 Dac-Rotel-Martlin Logan Vista).  Did not want to go that crazy with my HeadFi system so I purchased a couple of the NuForce Impulse USB cables. They're nice but since I still consider my SennHD600/E7/E9 combo still breaking in. I'll do cable testing in another month or so.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #800 of 1,324
Might be the wrong place to ask, and I realise not many will have had the opportunity to hear this combination, but has anyone tried to drive the Beyer T1's with the E9, and if so, how did it compare to mid-high end amps?

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #801 of 1,324
All I know is one person who went to a London meet late last year and preferred the T1 with the E9 so much from what he heard in the meet, that he immediately bought the E9 afterwards.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #802 of 1,324
Interesting, I'm getting the E9/E7 pairing with the HE-5LEs, hope it will be able to drive them well as planar magnetics are notoriously hard to drive. Noticed that someone who reviewed the E9 said that his HE-5 was amply driven by the E9 at 10 o'clock, so hopefully there should be no problem.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #803 of 1,324
I would advise against it. I have the HE-4 (same internals as the HE5LE with one sided magnets). Yes, the E9 can drive it loudly (very loud), but the sound comes off weak, unrefined, sibilant. You'd be doing the HE-5LE a disservice.

I love my E9, but I'm not gonna lie to myself into thinking it serves the planars well.

The T1 is supposedly more efficient than the Premium 600ohm Beyers, which the E9 can handle very well. Planars...I'd look elsewhere, like the Lyr.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #804 of 1,324

Quote:
Yes.. USB cable voodo works. Using a Furutech Formula 2 USB cable on my main system.  Opened up detail, sound stage and added a little more weigh (Mac- PSAudio DL3 Dac-Rotel-Martlin Logan Vista).  Did not want to go that crazy with my HeadFi system so I purchased a couple of the NuForce Impulse USB cables. They're nice but since I still consider my SennHD600/E7/E9 combo still breaking in. I'll do cable testing in another month or so.

What's this? Cable voodoo? Are you saying I need to upgrade my USB cable too?! 

Darn you Head-Fi! Darn you! lol

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #806 of 1,324
After a couple of months of debating whether or not to buy the E9 vs more expensive options, the scales were tipped by two things:

- we now have an Aussie reseller on eBay. Its a small thing - I have had no problems with the Irish reseller for other goodies - but it means that the amp doesnt have to sit in Customs. Australians are currently buying up big on the strength of our dollar against the USD - hopefully, the Aussie reseller actually has the amps in stock unlike another audio 'shopfront' here which is just a front for a Chinese company.

- while I still think its 90% snake-oil, I am willing to spend a few dollars on upgrading my cables. If people like ALO are fair dinkum, this should be a long-term investment - cable cynics will undoubtedly be smirking, but we arent talking $200 for a LOD - I havent completely lost my senses.

Now I just have to wait for our 1950s banking system to transfer the funds to Paypal.

estreeter

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #807 of 1,324

Quote:
What's this? Cable voodoo? Are you saying I need to upgrade my USB cable too?! 

Darn you Head-Fi! Darn you! lol

USB cables have an analog and a digital component to them. The digital component transfers the actual audio data while the analog component provides power to the system. Audio-grade USB cables are designed with this in mind so they use higher quality parts, shielded cables, and even filters in order to get the best sound out of the cable.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #809 of 1,324

Quote:

USB cables have an analog and a digital component to them. The digital component transfers the actual audio data while the analog component provides power to the system. Audio-grade USB cables are designed with this in mind so they use higher quality parts, shielded cables, and even filters in order to get the best sound out of the cable.

Makes sense. If I find some reasonable cable prices I will definitely upgrade.

Quote:
I use 1 of these with my E9 http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables/usb/premium-gold-usb/ usb cables , a upgrade to the stock cables without spending stupid amounts of money.

Thanks for the link!

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #810 of 1,324
Do I really need to buy this thing?  I own the Denon AH-D2000 headphones and am not sure if they really need extra power on top of the E7 I already have.  After all, the D2000s are 25 ohms, and while I definitely think they need to be amped I am not sure if I need to drop another $130 on this component.  If it adds 5%, I will consider it to be worth it.  Does anyone have expereince with the E7/E9 combo and the D2000s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back