FiiO E9 Review
Jan 6, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #526 of 1,324
Quote:
Do you guys think this would be a good setup to use with ATH-M50s? Or would it be useless for me to get an amp at this point? Thanks!

There are improvements to be had, but don't expect a huge difference.

Seeing that you already seem to have caught the deadly upgraditis, the E7/E9 is the next best logical step seeing as it will take care of your M50's and future purchases.
beyersmile.png

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #536 of 1,324

Quote:

Quote:
There are amps that can do this... guitar amps...

yeah i know, i just have an electric guitar in a closet with the thick lead but no amp. oh well

Acutally, I don't see why you can't. Just plug your guitar into the Line In (3.5mm adapter necessary) of the E9 and your headphones into one of the headphone jacks...unless I'm missing something. I've done this very thing with my FiiO E5!! The only problem is that guitars have a mono jack so when you listen through your headphones you only hear audio on only either the right or left, not both.

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #537 of 1,324
How would the sound quality differ between listening to music straight out of a portable music player(cowon j3) with ath-m50 (which I hear does not need an amp.) and listening to music on my computer with e7 or other uDAC connected to it with the same headphone? Would the difference in sound quality be great? I asked in the portable source forum but no one is answering, so I am a little desperate to know... If there is no difference, there is no reason for me to get a DAC and be limited to listening to music on computer when the portable solution can give me the same sound quality... 

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #538 of 1,324
Quote:
Acutally, I don't see why you can't. Just plug your guitar into the Line In (3.5mm adapter necessary) of the E9 and your headphones into one of the headphone jacks...unless I'm missing something. I've done this very thing with my FiiO E5!! The only problem is that guitars have a mono jack so when you listen through your headphones you only hear audio on only either the right or left, not both.

It will probably work, but not well.

In any case I wouldn't want to run that through my E9...

Quote:
juman231 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

How would the sound quality differ between listening to music straight out of a portable music player(cowon j3) with ath-m50 (which I hear does not need an amp.) and listening to music on my computer with e7 or other uDAC connected to it with the same headphone? Would the difference in sound quality be great? I asked in the portable source forum but no one is answering, so I am a little desperate to know... If there is no difference, there is no reason for me to get a DAC and be limited to listening to music on computer when the portable solution can give me the same sound quality... 

There will be a difference but not a significant one by any stretch. I wouldn't worry about it until your next headphone upgrade.

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #539 of 1,324

Quote:
FWIW, I think the E9 has great connectivity: it has a 3.5 mm line in jack, RCA line out jacks and a 3.5 mm pre-out jack, as well as a USB port for E7 docking. I use the E9's pre-outs to drive my active monitors when I'm not listening to headphones, and it works great as a DAC/pre-amp (Edit: with the E7 docked, of course). Whenever I unplug the headphones, the output is switched to the pre-out jack and vice versa. Very convenient.

This might be unrelated to the e9 topic, but just out of pure curiosity, can you explain to me why you do that? I thought, according to my newbie knowledge base, that you'd use the amp to "amplify" the analog signal so the hard-to-drive headphones/speakers play the music better? What is the benefit of using a pre-output?  And if it's pre-output, that means the signals are not amplified, right? so no amplification is done in E9's part? Is this the same as using E7 only? 

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #540 of 1,324

Quote:

Quote:
juman231 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

There will be a difference but not a significant one by any stretch. I wouldn't worry about it until your next headphone upgrade.

Just to clarify, do you mean to say that a better headphone will let me better see the difference in the quality of digital to analog conversion different DACs (whether it be one in my J3 or an external DAC like e7) will render? And so if I do get a better headphone, would the difference be great enough to be considered significant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back