FiiO E9 Review
Dec 17, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #408 of 1,324
If you are connecting to your Mac via USB you need the E7 as well. The E9 is only an amplifier and will not do any digital to analog conversion. If you have a line out you can use a 3.5mm cable to the line in in the back of the E9; if not then you have to use the headphone jack, which is not recommended.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #410 of 1,324
You don't HAVE to, as Riku stated, you can use a 3.5mm if your mac has a line out (I know nothing about Macs), or use the headphone jack with the same cable mentioned and plug it into the E9's line in (on the back). As he said, not really recommended.

The E7 pairs up well with the E9, and is budget friendly, but you aren't limited to it. There are plenty of other DACs that work with the E9, but the E7 gets the pleasure of being docked, and being the only one that works with the USB of the E9.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #411 of 1,324
ah ok ..
I thought (I followed a suggestion from another forum) that I could only amplify the e9 shure with my mac.

so you advise me to buy at this point to complete all the e7 .. right??

then with the e7 I can use it for the iphone?

thank you very much

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #412 of 1,324
Yes. I would get the Fiio E7 as well as the Fiio L3 cable which is used with the iPhone (it will bypass the internal amp of the iPhone, and use the superior one of the E7). You won't be able to adjust the volume with the IPhone, but with the E7. That's how you know your setup is correct.

Hope I helped.

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #415 of 1,324
How much is the Fiio E7/E9 worth, at which point is it not worth buying?

Many here seem to be getting it for the fact that it's rather cheap and has a great bang-for-the-buck-factor, but the cheapest way to get this combo for me is to order it from chinese MP4 Nation where it currently is at $190. $190*1,25(VAT) is $237 and with faster shipping it's $256 which equals an Asus Essence ST/X-card in Europe(though I'll probably go with slower free shipping). So, is it still worth it after $40 extra?

I've understood that it can compete with much more expensive amp/dacs, but I just wanna be sure in case I can get anything better. And if they can drive 600 Ohms or the T1's I suppose they will drive the HD650 properly?

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #416 of 1,324
Great review here guys! Thanks, I am about to dive into this hobby and think this article cemented my first run: 650's with an E9, using line out from a creative Platinum. Might upgrade the DAC if I'm not pleased. But again, thanks!

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #417 of 1,324
I just got the e7 e9 combo today but i'm kinda confused with the setup. i took a look at the instruction booklet and followed it but not gettting any sound. So my setup is basically: i have the e9 connected via usb to my desktop pc. the power adapter plugged in the back and my headphones in the front. and my e7 docked. I'm not getting any sound. Is this setup not correct? Is the audio supposed to be provided by the usb cable connecting my pc to the e9? and i dont need to play with my e7's settings when docked as a DAC because it automaticaly does that when its docked rite?

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #418 of 1,324

Quote:
I just got the e7 e9 combo today but i'm kinda confused with the setup. i took a look at the instruction booklet and followed it but not gettting any sound. So my setup is basically: i have the e9 connected via usb to my desktop pc. the power adapter plugged in the back and my headphones in the front. and my e7 docked. I'm not getting any sound. Is this setup not correct? Is the audio supposed to be provided by the usb cable connecting my pc to the e9? and i dont need to play with my e7's settings when docked as a DAC because it automaticaly does that when its docked rite?

update: the only way i get sound is when i put a line out cable from the back of the e9 to my desktop's headphone jack. is that how its supposed to be setup? i have a feeling its not...
any help?

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #419 of 1,324
First of all, are both the E7 and E9 on?

Second, open your sound options and go to playback devices. You will see your normal speakers, and should see USB Audio DAC. You need to change the default playback device to this, or else the computer is going to continue to send sound to your speakers, and not the E7. If you already have a music player open when you do this you will have to exit out of it completely and reopen it for the change to take place.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #420 of 1,324
Another possibility is the E7 not fully into the E9 dock. I've done this a couple of times - really thought it was broken, then just touched the top of the E7 lightly and it clicked the final part of the way into place and music came through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back