FiiO E9 Review
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #706 of 1,324

Quote:
How do you think this would be with Grado 325is?

If you find the Grado 325is treble to abuse your ear drums, the Fiio E9 won't do a damn thing to alleviate that. It's gonna give you a pretty faithful representation of what the Grado's innate sound is like. No hiding any personal issues you may have with them.

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #707 of 1,324

Quote:
If you find the Grado 325is treble to abuse your ear drums, the Fiio E9 won't do a damn thing to alleviate that. It's gonna give you a pretty faithful representation of what the Grado's innate sound is like. No hiding any personal issues you may have with them.

Finally, something we agree on :)

MLE is right - get another pair of phones if you cant handle the SR325is - you have selected the most aggressive pair of headphones I have ever owned/heard. Some can deal with it, some cant.

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #708 of 1,324
I wonder which is more polarizing, the DT990 or Grados 325is? I'd like to try the Grados at some point.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #709 of 1,324
I really like the E9 and I use it every day - it's a great product.  However, the ergonomics of the E9 design are really poor.

First, the volume control knob is way too large in diameter for the size of the enclosure and its proximity to the headphone jacks.   (The two headphone jacks are too close to the volume knob.)  The end result is...it is unusually difficult to adjust the volume of the E9 without your fingers hitting the top of the headphone plug on either side of the volume control.  The width and height of the E9 enclosure either needs to made larger or the volume knob needs to be considerably smaller in diameter.

The lack of a legible marker on the volume knob is another flaw that has already been discussed but it is really an issue in everyday use or when you are trying to compare levels with multiple headphones or when you want to return the volume to a favorite spot.

Finally, the tiny rubber bumps on the bottom of the enclosure are too small so the E9 sits too low on a surface - practically against it.  I had to purchase thicker stick-on black rubber feet from Radio Shack to elevate the E9 enough where I at least had a chance to adjust the volume knob; if my fingers weren't hitting the headset plug as I try to adjust the volume they were hitting the surface the E9 was sitting on so I can't grip around the knob.  Again, the ergonomics are really flawed.  (And trust me - I don't have big hands or fat fingers.)

I really love the performance of the E9, so don't get me wrong - it is a wonderful value:  it's absolutely neutral and it drives practically anything.  And, I really appreciate Fiio as a company and what they are trying to do.  The E9 ergonomics, however, are really unusually poor and these issues need to be addressed by Fiio.  

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #710 of 1,324
I'm going to be really lazy here and not read through the 48 pages of this thread to see if this question has already been answered! :wink:
I want to get the AKG K701's and this e7 and e9 combo.
Basically, I have a Dell XPS PC, I am not sure what sound card it says but when I go into device manager it says realtek high defnition audio or something along those lines... I do not remember upgrading the sound card when purchasing my PC so assume dell have given me a basic sound card?

Therefore, will I need the e7 and the e9? Or will the e9 be good on it's own? Cheers.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #711 of 1,324

Quote:
I'm going to be really lazy here and not read through the 48 pages of this thread to see if this question has already been answered! :wink:
I want to get the AKG K701's and this e7 and e9 combo.
Basically, I have a Dell XPS PC, I am not sure what sound card it says but when I go into device manager it says realtek high defnition audio or something along those lines... I do not remember upgrading the sound card when purchasing my PC so assume dell have given me a basic sound card?

Therefore, will I need the e7 and the e9? Or will the e9 be good on it's own? Cheers.

You will need to go with the e7 and e9 for the best quality. The built in motherboard Codec is noisy and imprecise, but the DAC in the e7 is great.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #712 of 1,324

You will need to go with the e7 and e9 for the best quality. The built in motherboard Codec is noisy and imprecise, but the DAC in the e7 is great.

I see. Thanks I think I'll do that then I've found them both for around 120 on amazon, I only have £100 roughly to spend on an amp as I want to get the K701's too which are on sale at iheadphones.co.uk (by the way has anyone used that website, is it trustable etc, genuine not fake etc etc) at £219.99

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #713 of 1,324

Quote:
I wonder which is more polarizing, the DT990 or Grados 325is? I'd like to try the Grados at some point.

[size=medium]
Well I ****ing love them to death. They are exactly the sound that I like. Extremely aggressive on the high end. Listining to a little pearl jam right now, it is amazing. That said, I ended up getting a Little Dot 1+ with 408a's. Can't wait to get it and test it out.
[/size]

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #714 of 1,324
I hope this thread is still alive and that somebody could help me out.

I want to get the Ultrasone 2500 PRO's, but can only afford a £100 AMP so reckon I'll go for the e7 and e9 combo.
Would this be enough to power the 2500's? Has anyone tried this?

Or shall I play it safe and get the HFI 2200's instead? Ideally I want the 2500's but not if they won't sound good...

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #715 of 1,324

Quote:

I want to get the Ultrasone 2500 PRO's, but can only afford a £100 AMP so reckon I'll go for the e7 and e9 combo.

Or shall I play it safe and get the HFI 2200's instead? Ideally I want the 2500's but not if they won't sound good...

The 'Official E9 Thread' was just a few spots down from the top of the first page. <__<

I have no doubt in my mind the E9 will power the Ultrasones with plenty of power. Some very happy E9 Ultrasone owners recently.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #716 of 1,324

Quote:
The 'Official E9 Thread' was just a few spots down from the top of the first page. <__<

I have no doubt in my mind the E9 will power the Ultrasones with plenty of power. Some very happy E9 Ultrasone owners recently.

Oh was it? sorry lol I'm still finding my way around this forum! I'll look for it now by searching official e9 thread :)

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #717 of 1,324

Quote:

given the amount of power it has i cant imagine there is anything it cant drive

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #718 of 1,324
I'm going to get the akg k702's and an e9, but I'm not sure if I should get an e7.  I might try and hold out for the e17 and just use my iphone 4 with an L3 LOD into the e9's line in.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup (using iphone4 LOD to e9)?  Any other thoughts are also welcome.  

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #719 of 1,324
You should probably buy the E7, it has bass boost (and k701 needs that) 
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #720 of 1,324
Bass boost
EQ
Whats the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back