FiiO E9 Review
Jan 19, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #587 of 1,324
Tatakai - no. I had the 595 for a while, bought the E7+E9 combo, no difference. I'm not selling the combo though, I'm buying more expensive 'phones (HD650) that supposedly need amping. The point being that 595 don't really care much whether they're amped or not, at least not when they're amped by the E9. Anyone who's telling you otherwise have either never heard them amped vs. unamped or they have waaaay better ears than mine. 
i agree with you, they are very enjoyable phones. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #589 of 1,324
There have been several, but none that left impressions that I can recall. Chances are, they're too busy enjoying the synergy.
wink_face.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #590 of 1,324
Quote:
Anyone tried this with an HD 800 yet? 

[size=medium]

I've tried the E7/E9 with the HD 800 in comparison to the Beyer T1 and other high end headphones. I've written about it earlier in one of the FiiO E9 review threads.

Through the E7/E9 the HD 800 sounded really clear with a very large soundstage, but a little bass light and thin sounding at times. They're amazing, detailed headphones, but not perfect and not suited to every musical style. Some live jazz-rock band recordings I listened through the HD 800 sounded weak and thin, and at the time of listening I actually wondered if there was something wrong with the headphones.

I've actually opted for the HD 600, which are the most neutral/transparent sounding headphones I've found, that make pretty much everything I listen to sound great, and for a fraction of the cost of the HD 800.

But I'd like to try the HD 800 through a high-end amp such as a Burson, as I've heard that the HD 800 really come alive through improved components...  
[/size]

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #591 of 1,324

Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]

I've tried the E7/E9 with the HD 800 in comparison to the Beyer T1 and other high end headphones. I've written about it earlier in one of the FiiO E9 review threads.

Through the E7/E9 the HD 800 sounded really clear with a very large soundstage, but a little bass light and thin sounding at times. They're amazing, detailed headphones, but not perfect and not suited to every musical style. Some live jazz-rock band recordings I listened through the HD 800 sounded weak and thin, and at the time of listening I actually wondered if there was something wrong with the headphones.

I've actually opted for the HD 600, which are the most neutral/transparent sounding headphones I've found, that make pretty much everything I listen to sound great, and for a fraction of the cost of the HD 800.

But I'd like to try the HD 800 through a high-end amp such as a Burson, as I've heard that the HD 800 really come alive through improved components...  
[/size]

Well maybe that won't be a problem for me. I'm using my laptop while waiting for the E9/E7 combo and I think the HD 800 has perfect bass quantity and adequate impact (I suppose this will improve with an amp). The HD 800 may not have the thumping bass weight but it does by no means sound thin. The sound is full-bodied and the HD 800 can handle rock as well as soundtracks. It really comes down to the recording. For example, some decent quality trailers may lack big bass, but yesterday I watched "The Dark Knight" with the HD 800 (they are wonderful movie-cans) and at times the bass was huge and even had some weight to it. 

With bass-heavy trailers I connect them to my stereo amp and turn the EQ to maximal bass. :)

Since I doubt the bass weight/impact/quantity will decrease when amping I think I'll be able to enjoy most musical genres through the E9/E7 combo. When I want more bass (some trailers, some movies) I could just use the E7 bass boost. :) 

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #592 of 1,324

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]

[/size]

Well maybe that won't be a problem for me. I'm using my laptop while waiting for the E9/E7 combo and I think the HD 800 has perfect bass quantity and adequate impact (I suppose this will improve with an amp). The HD 800 may not have the thumping bass weight but it does by no means sound thin. The sound is full-bodied and the HD 800 can handle rock as well as soundtracks. It really comes down to the recording. For example, some decent quality trailers may lack big bass, but yesterday I watched "The Dark Knight" with the HD 800 (they are wonderful movie-cans) and at times the bass was huge and even had some weight to it. 

With bass-heavy trailers I connect them to my stereo amp and turn the EQ to maximal bass. :)

Since I doubt the bass weight/impact/quantity will decrease when amping I think I'll be able to enjoy most musical genres through the E9/E7 combo. When I want more bass (some trailers, some movies) I could just use the E7 bass boost. :) 

When I said the HD 800 is thin sounding, I meant relative to more 'coloured' headphones, such as the HD 650.

FYI (don't know if you know this, but here you go): When the E7 docked in the E9, the E7 bass boost feature is bypassed. But you can use the E7 bass boost through the E9 if you connect the E7 to the E9 via the E7 line out/E9 line in socket. :)

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #593 of 1,324

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]

[/size]

When I said the HD 800 is thin sounding, I meant relative to more 'coloured' headphones, such as the HD 650.

FYI (don't know if you know this, but here you go): When the E7 docked in the E9, the E7 bass boost feature is bypassed. But you can use the E7 bass boost through the E9 if you connect the E7 to the E9 via the E7 line out/E9 line in socket. :)

Yes I know that thanks :) 

The HD 800 only sound thin compared to a big, badass cinema IMO, compared to my speaker system it sounds quite similar in terms of bass signature, but lacks the weight. I really hope a good amp can solve this. I'm really excited (haha) to see/hear how the HD 800 changes in tonal balance with amps in the future. I'm really cheap, so I'll try to pair my headphones with a high-end rig as soon as possible. Source material will probably be my limit as I will mostly use the Spotify service (limited to 320kbit maximum, but sounds really good and effortless at it's best)

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #594 of 1,324

Quote:

[size=medium]

[/size]

How does the HD 800 + E9/E7 sound in the other end of the spectrum? Is it fatiguingly bright or more smooth/relaxed? 

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #595 of 1,324
Part II Impression: The better impression comes after turning on amp every night for around 1 month!
A near $100 headphone desktop amp can really transform a very hard to drive headphone into a higher level .

I was surprised E9 managed to do this. $60 portable amp can't do good for K701-spend an extra $40-get the E9- You will be surprised by the big difference-it is night and day difference actually!

Who said you will not enjoy K701? This is not true. K701 is very enjoyable even with a $100 desktop headphone amp. Played TOTO CD, you will be carried out by the energy-the soundstage, the details-pretty amazing!

Conclusion: If you have limited budget to match a K701- the E9 is worthy buy! Congrats Fiio!!!

VALIENTE'S RECOMMENDED HEADPHONE AMP for BUDGET CONSCIOUS HEADFIERS!

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #596 of 1,324

Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]

[/size]

How does the HD 800 + E9/E7 sound in the other end of the spectrum? Is it fatiguingly bright or more smooth/relaxed? 

With the E7/E9, the HD 800 treble was very clear and I've used that combo on two separate occasions.

After tuning into the detail of slightly hissy, but quality jazz recordings, such as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, the natural ringing in my ears was greatly accentuated - maybe that was because my ears were tired. Maybe it was the treble performance of the HD 800, which may vary due to various factors.

Some say the HD 800 has more or a piercing treble peak than the similarly performing Beyerdynamic T1, but certain parts of recordings I found piercingly bright with the T1 + E7/E9 e.g. John Coltrane's saxophone on A Love Supreme, sounded less bright on the HD 800 + E7/E9. Maybe that was due to the frequency of the John Coltrane's sax performance on the tracks I listened to relative to the frequency response of the headphones, or maybe it was due to my aural perception on that day. But, subjectively on each occasion I have yet heard the HD 800 + E7/E9, it has sounded brighter than I care to listen to that degree of relative brightness for.

I hope you enjoy the E7/E9 + HD 800 combo. 
smile.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #597 of 1,324

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]

[/size]

With the E7/E9, the HD 800 treble was very clear and I've used that combo on two separate occasions.

After tuning into the detail of slightly hissy, but quality jazz recordings, such as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, the natural ringing in my ears was greatly accentuated - maybe that was because my ears were tired. Maybe it was the treble performance of the HD 800, which may vary due to various factors.

Some say the HD 800 has more or a piercing treble peak than the similarly performing Beyerdynamic T1, but certain parts of recordings I found piercingly bright with the T1 + E7/E9 e.g. John Coltrane's saxophone on A Love Supreme, sounded less bright on the HD 800 + E7/E9. Maybe that was due to the frequency of the John Coltrane's sax performance on the tracks I listened to relative to the frequency response of the headphones, or maybe it was due to my aural perception on that day. But, subjectively on each occasion I have yet heard the HD 800 + E7/E9, it has sounded brighter than I care to listen to that degree of relative brightness for.

I hope you enjoy the E7/E9 + HD 800 combo. 
smile.gif

Thank you!

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #598 of 1,324
Hi guys, this is my first post here so be gentle with me! I've taken a look through a good chunk of this thread and I can't seem to find anyone asking/answering my question:

I'm a desktop PC user and I have a fairly decent sound card (Xonar) and a set of Goldring NS1000's, currently I am using the soundcard's built in amp, am I right in thinking that I would only need an E9 and that there would be no benefit to getting an E7 as well?

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of setup?

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #599 of 1,324
Quote:
I'm a desktop PC user and I have a fairly decent sound card (Xonar) and a set of Goldring NS1000's, currently I am using the soundcard's built in amp, am I right in thinking that I would only need an E9 and that there would be no benefit to getting an E7 as well?

As long as your soundcard has a proper analog line-out of some form you can use it as a source without the E7. You don't want to use the headphone jack/built-in amplifier to go out into the E9 or you will be double-amplifying the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back