FiiO E7 Speculation Thread
May 19, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 82
Hmm I wonder why Fiio are skipping all the even numbers. There're E1, E3, E5 and E7? But no E2, E4, E6?

Clieos, is there any rough idea of when they will be announced? Like say 2-3 months? Or more like a 6 month wait?

May 19, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #17 of 82
I think E1 and E7 were originally scheduled for June or July release, but I can't be sure. AFAIK, there isn't any firm release date yet.

May 24, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #18 of 82
so E1 would be better than E5? And i wonder E7 will have changeble opamps and be better than crossroad edge.... For now i'm holding my trigger for a comparison between crossroad edge and E7. DAC is also a big plus!

May 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #20 of 82
As said before, E7 has a build in USB-DAC that can be used with PC as desktop amp or DAP as portable amp.

As for E1, if you read Chinese and visited FiiO forum, then you can probably guess this much out: It is a portable amp designed for iPod user.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 82
Quote:

Desktop FiiO sounds like a fail. :-o

Nothing limits FiiO to small portable stuff. And if I'm understanding this right, E7 is still a small portable thing, only with a DAC and USB interface.

ClieOS, can you link to the FiiO forum?

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 82
Jun 3, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #27 of 82
Thanks.
I'd also like to say that I don't think FiiO should overemphasize portability. Does the E7 sacrifice sound quality for portability?

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #28 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by PianistOne111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the E7 sacrifice sound quality for portability?

I really don't think anyone knows at this point. Pricing has not been revealed, so its hard to say whether fiio intends to continue its pricing strategy (e.g. 75% of the sq at 25% of the cost) with the E7 or whether they intend to compete directly with the higher-priced stuff with the E7. If the E7 is inline with the E3/E5, then it will most likely be more portable and not sound as good as some of the other amp/dacs. Just my $.02.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #29 of 82
There is no doubt that FiiO is targeting the low end market now, same goes for E1 and E7. If you want better quality, there are more expensive choice out there but that is not what FiiO is. They are intentionally trying to stay as low end as possibility while still maintaining good, practical functionality in their products. They are not trying to be or beat Headamp or RSA. At this point, I think FiiO main business strategy is to make sub US$100 products that non-audiophiles will find useful. That said, don't expect E7 to out class Pico or Mustang as that will never happen.

James (FiiO manager) once told me that they are selling thousands of E5 monthly all over the world. I don't think any other amp producing company is capable of matching that kind of number, which also means there are probably a lot more consumer that go beyond the more demanding amp users here at Head-fi.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #30 of 82
But FiiO are producing a 'gateway drug' so to speak. Some people will realize that the headphones they use sound better with more power driving them, and then they'll start looking for the next step.

And then they become one of us, and we can say to them: "Sorry about your wallet!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back