Fiio E7 or Creative X-Fi Pro usb for Sennheiser HD 518?
Sep 6, 2011 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

th3hate

New Head-Fier

Hello,

A bought a new pair of Sennheiser's HD 518 recently, and my laptop's on-board audio quality is not satisfying by all means. So i'm looking for ways to make it sound better.

Today while browsing some local store i found i good deal on "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card" for $48.99 only so i'm highly considering it but i'm not sure how it compares to my on-board audio, will the difference be night and day or just some negligible slight bump in volume?

I heard good reviews about fiio e7, but i have to order it online for $90 plus $19 shipping as it's not available locally.

I'd like to mention  that don't care about the added portability of fiio e7, I just want to know which will sound best.

This is a cross post from portable amps forum as i'm sure which forum is optimal for posting this.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 23
I strongly advise you to steer away from the X-Fi Go! Pro, as that version has issues that can't be fixed through any configuration. Though, you should opt for the regular X-Fi Go! that has none of the issues and better specs. Although, if you're not planning on gaming, Fiio E7 is a better option, even if having a slightly cold signature.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 23
I've used that Creative card, and just happened to order one for myself around the same price from Amazon today (need an external DAC for my work machine.) It's a good upgrade from onboard audio in my opinion and that's a decent price. Since it isn't a Go! card you'd be okay. if you look around the forum there's a thread on how to swap out a couple components to get even better audio quality out of that card.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying but i'm not talking about x-fi go, that is another version. This is the one I'm talking about "Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB1095"

Does it have the same problems as x-fi go as well?

I'm sorry, I completely misread the device you were talking about
rolleyes.gif

Still, just like its smaller counterpart, the X-Fi Go! Pro, I would also advise you on getting the non-Pro X-Fi Surround 5.1, as the Pro version is both feature limited and packed with a different software suite that tweaks sound in a rather destructive way, IMHO.

Anyway, what are your listening habits, music, games, movies?

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I've used that Creative card, and just happened to order one for myself around the same price from Amazon today (need an external DAC for my work machine.) It's a good upgrade from onboard audio in my opinion and that's a decent price. Since it isn't a Go! card you'd be okay. if you look around the forum there's a thread on how to swap out a couple components to get even better audio quality out of that card.

I will give it a try, i'm sure it won't be the best $50 i ever spent but still nothing to lose. I will make sure to check the mod thread too.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I completely misread the device you were talking about
rolleyes.gif

Still, just like its smaller counterpart, the X-Fi Go! Pro, I would also advise you on getting the non-Pro X-Fi Surround 5.1, as the Pro version is both feature limited and packed with a different software suite that tweaks sound in a rather destructive way, IMHO.

Anyway, what are your listening habits, music, games, movies?

Sadly, the store only has the pro version in stock. Isn't the pro version supposed to be better anyway?

I usually listen to rock (Three days grace, linkin park, evanescence). As well as some pop, hip-hop, techno, and dubstep. I watch a movie daily before sleeping, can't change this habit :p.

I do some gaming too, bought deus ex recently.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
Sadly, the store only has the pro version in stock. Isn't the pro version supposed to be better anyway?

I usually listen to rock (Three days grace, linkin park, evanescence). As well as some pop, hip-hop, techno, and dubstep. I watch a movie daily before sleeping, can't change this habit :p.

I do some gaming too, bought deus ex recently.

You can't go by names as naming schemes can be deceiving, which in this case is true for both Pro versions of the X-Fi Go! and the X-Fi Surround 5.1, as the regular versions are superior.

E7 doesn't have any gaming support, which unfortunately also affects the Pro version of the X-Fi Surround 5.1, although it has a small headphone amp within. Your HD518 should be easy enough to drive to be able to sound proper without additional amping. If you could get the regular X-Fi Surround 5.1, that would be a better option. Can you purchase through online retailers?

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
No, but hd518 is starting to sound better after some burn in and equalization.

Should i consider fiio e5 or just go with the x-fi pro?

You're confusing things. E5 is an amp only, E7 is a DAC/amp combo. Now, I don't really like E7, but I think the Pro version of the X-Fi Surround 5.1 isn't something of much interest, specially since Creative stripped the gaming features from the Pro version (one of the reasons the Pro costs less) and added a very poorly implemented THX software package on top of their drivers (regular version runs on Creative software only, which in this case proves to be better). But, if you do like to tweak your sound, the E7 won't give you any options at all and lower output formats, while the X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro software does come with quite some things to adjust, even if you should leave most turned off, and perhaps playing with its EQ.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
You're confusing things. E5 is an amp only, E7 is a DAC/amp combo. Now, I don't really like E7, but I think the Pro version of the X-Fi Surround 5.1 isn't something of much interest, specially since Creative stripped the gaming features from the Pro version (one of the reasons the Pro costs less) and added a very poorly implemented THX software package on top of their drivers (regular version runs on Creative software only, which in this case proves to be better). But, if you do like to tweak your sound, the E7 won't give you any options at all and lower output formats, while the X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro software does come with quite some things to adjust, even if you should leave most turned off, and perhaps playing with its EQ.

I really appreciate your help. Right now i have two options:

a) Get x-fi pro and hope things go well. If there's a slight hissing/crackling i won't mind it much because i have a slight hearing loss and tiny sounds rarely bother me.
b) Get no amp/dac at all and hope hd518 will sound better as it burns in more.

Which option would you go with if it were up to you?

Thanks again for your help.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
The E7 and a software equalizer is far better than a less than stellar DAC/Amp with poor drivers and support.

I'll have to agree with the "less than stellar DAC" part.

@th3hate: The best option? Search for a non-Pro X-Fi Surround 5.1. The best option between the two options you wrote? If you only game slightly and listen to music for the most part, getting an E7 would be the logical choice, as E7 puts out higher quality sound, despite its lower output format and no gaming features at all.

Are you using a desktop or a laptop? Because you can get better things from internal soundcards.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 23
The E7 doesn't provide surround sound, but it definitely makes a noticeable improvement for gaming over my MBP onboard audio. I would rather have something that provides better audio fidelity and still be good for gaming, rather than something built with gaming in-mind. 

As for the E7, it may not be the best choice, the E10 will be cheaper while using the same DAC as the E7. I'm also going to be receiving an iBasso D-Zero which is highly comparable to the E7 to test against.

Basically, I think buying something for the surround features rather than fidelity is silly.

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
I'll have to agree with the "less than stellar DAC" part.

@th3hate: The best option? Search for a non-Pro X-Fi Surround 5.1. The best option between the two options you wrote? If you only game slightly and listen to music for the most part, getting an E7 would be the logical choice, as E7 puts out higher quality sound, despite its lower output format and no gaming features at all.

Are you using a desktop or a laptop? Because you can get better things from internal soundcards.

I'm using a laptop, HP Pavilion dv6-6190us, and yes i game slightly. The headphones are mainly for music and movies.

I decided to avoid the pro version like you suggested. I'd go for the e7 if it weren't so expensive, but it would leave a hole in my thin wallet.

Quote:
The E7 doesn't provide surround sound, but it definitely makes a noticeable improvement for gaming over my MBP onboard audio. I would rather have something that provides better audio fidelity and still be good for gaming, rather than something built with gaming in-mind. 

As for the E7, it may not be the best choice, the E10 will be cheaper while using the same DAC as the E7. I'm also going to be receiving an iBasso D-Zero which is highly comparable to the E7 to test against.

Basically, I think buying something for the surround features rather than fidelity is silly.

I don't even have  a 5.1 surround system. I only want something that will make my headphones sound clearer and warmer. I'll be watching out for the e10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back