Fiio E7/E9 vs E17/E9 vs E10?
Jan 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #46 of 66
How would the E17, sans E9, operate as a dac and amp for AudioEngine A2 speakers connected to an iMac? In other words, can one forgo the e17/e9 combo and just use the e17 for the AudioEngine A2 connection?

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #48 of 66
The E7/E9 or E17/E9 combos are great as long as you're using full-size phones with high-ish impedance than need lots of volts, but you're better off without the E9 if you use low impedance 'phones (especially balanced armature IEMs), as the output impedance on the E9 is way to high for these and will noticeably affect the frequency response.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #49 of 66

Quote:
Assuming the A2s are powered, you don't need and amp, just use the line-out from the E17

YOu will need a FiiO L7 for that.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #50 of 66
Interesting. I have Etymotic ER4s as my portable phones, and the AudioEngine A2 as speakers for my Imac. It seems that the A17 alone would fit the bill for both setups - portable amp for my headphones, and dac for my A2s. I presume the A17 is a better headphone amp than my current old style (3 - AAA battery) TotalAirHead amp, correct?

Quote:
The E7/E9 or E17/E9 combos are great as long as you're using full-size phones with high-ish impedance than need lots of volts, but you're better off without the E9 if you use low impedance 'phones (especially balanced armature IEMs), as the output impedance on the E9 is way to high for these and will noticeably affect the frequency response.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #51 of 66
Anyone?

Quote:
Interesting. I have Etymotic ER4s as my portable phones, and the AudioEngine A2 as speakers for my Imac. It seems that the A17 alone would fit the bill for both setups - portable amp for my headphones, and dac for my A2s. I presume the A17 is a better headphone amp than my current old style (3 - AAA battery) TotalAirHead amp, correct?

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #52 of 66
If you are asking whether E17 is better than Total AirHead, then the answer is 'most positively yes'.

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #53 of 66

Quote:

What about low impedance, low sensitivity orthodynamics like the Hifiman HE-6?

What happens to the E9 when faced with those loads?

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #55 of 66
Pretty sure the E9 would have trouble driving the HE-6.  The LCD2 is a different story - it's not a very demanding headphone at all, and the E9 might even be able to drive the HE-500.  But the HE-6 is out of the question.

As for what would happen if you tried to use the HE-6 with it, you'd probably hear a lot of clipping and it would sound funny.  I doubt anything would break though.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #56 of 66
This is my first post here. I've been reading for through the threads for a couple of weeks. I bought my first pair of decent headphones last month, the HD598 for $173 on sale. I just had to send them back to Amazon for a replacement because somehow I managed to blow the left side.

I was using the E6 with them. Still not really sure how I blew them, but I like to listen to music loud. I use to be a muscian, so my hearing isn't as good as it should be at my age. I'm waiting on my replacement set, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out if I should send the E6 back and get a better amp.

My question is the similar to the others here. With the headphones I have, should I get the e7/e9 instead? Or wait on the e17 and just call it a day with that alone? Or should I get the e9 for now, and wait for the e17 to be available and use the e9/e17? Money really isn't an issue as long as I stay uner $300. But I also don't want to go overkill just because I can.

This headphone thing is so overwhelming. Also, would anyone be able to offer me some friendly advice on how I could have blown my first set of HD598s so I don't do it again? I figured a higher quality headphone would have been more difficult to break.

I have until Jan. 31st to return the HD598s. Should I send them back and get something else? I was really on the fence about which ones to get. I got the 598s because they seemed like a steal at $173 new.

Music Interests: Rock (Tool, NIN), Classic Rock (Zepplin, Floyd, Eagles), Blues (SRV, BB King), Classical, Metal (Soil Work, Lamb of God), Old Country (Nelson), Pop (Citizen Cope, Michael Jackson)

I don't really listen to too much Rap, R&B, or New Country; but if I think it sounds good I'll listen to anything.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the billion questions.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #57 of 66

Quote:
This is my first post here. I've been reading for through the threads for a couple of weeks. I bought my first pair of decent headphones last month, the HD598 for $173 on sale. I just had to send them back to Amazon for a replacement because somehow I managed to blow the left side.

I was using the E6 with them. Still not really sure how I blew them, but I like to listen to music loud. I use to be a muscian, so my hearing isn't as good as it should be at my age. I'm waiting on my replacement set, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out if I should send the E6 back and get a better amp.

My question is the similar to the others here. With the headphones I have, should I get the e7/e9 instead? Or wait on the e17 and just call it a day with that alone? Or should I get the e9 for now, and wait for the e17 to be available and use the e9/e17? Money really isn't an issue as long as I stay uner $300. But I also don't want to go overkill just because I can.

This headphone thing is so overwhelming. Also, would anyone be able to offer me some friendly advice on how I could have blown my first set of HD598s so I don't do it again? I figured a higher quality headphone would have been more difficult to break.

I have until Jan. 31st to return the HD598s. Should I send them back and get something else? I was really on the fence about which ones to get. I got the 598s because they seemed like a steal at $173 new.

Music Interests: Rock (Tool, NIN), Classic Rock (Zepplin, Floyd, Eagles), Blues (SRV, BB King), Classical, Metal (Soil Work, Lamb of God), Old Country (Nelson), Pop (Citizen Cope, Michael Jackson)

I don't really listen to too much Rap, R&B, or New Country; but if I think it sounds good I'll listen to anything.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the billion questions.

That's odd that you managed to blow them - most headphones can take quite a bit more volume than the human ear can handle, even if you're half-deaf.  I'm pretty sure the E6 isn't capable of going that loud, which suggests that there was just a flaw in the headphones.

ON amps, you don't need the E9 for the HD598s.  Just the E17 is enough to drive them, and it's out now, though I think everyone is sold out of their stock and will be getting more in February.

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #59 of 66
I have another dumb question. I have a Denon AVR-788 receiver. Do I need a headphone amp? Is the headphone output on the receiver amped well? I tried listening through it and it just didn't sound spectacular to me. That's why I'm inquiring about headphone amps.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #60 of 66
Hello guys,
Would the E17 be enough to power a pair of Shure SRH-440 (44 Ω) by themselves?

Also, I'll be listening through a laptop at work and I'm not sure if I'd be perfectly fine with a DAC like the E10, instead of waiting for the E17 and paying ~double, since I won't be mobile at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back