Fiio E7/E9 vs E17/E9 vs E10?
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #61 of 66

Quote:
I have another dumb question. I have a Denon AVR-788 receiver. Do I need a headphone amp? Is the headphone output on the receiver amped well? I tried listening through it and it just didn't sound spectacular to me. That's why I'm inquiring about headphone amps.

You would think the Denon AVR-788 would do a decent job of powering speakers.
You can always plug a separate external headphone amplifier to the RCA outputs on the back of the Denon AVR-788.

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #62 of 66

Quote:
Hello guys,
Would the E17 be enough to power a pair of Shure SRH-440 (44 Ω) by themselves?

Also, I'll be listening through a laptop at work and I'm not sure if I'd be perfectly fine with a DAC like the E10, instead of waiting for the E17 and paying ~double, since I won't be mobile at all.

If you're not going to be mobile at all, then the E10 is perfectly fine.  The E17 basically takes the E10 and makes it mobile.  There are a couple changes (different headphone jack, slight change in the circuitry so it doesn't cut off the first millisecond or so of the first song you play), but they're not really worth paying double for unless you also need the mobility.

And yes, both will be fully capable of powering the SRH-440.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #65 of 66

Quote:
What about low impedance, low sensitivity orthodynamics like the Hifiman HE-6?

What happens to the E9 when faced with those loads?

I have the E9 and the HE-6.  The E9 simply can't drive the HE-6 sufficiently.  My Schiit Lyr does fine with the HE-6.  For a smaller, cheaper set-up, you can run the speaker outputs from a Class-T amp (like the Dayton Audio DTA-100a) into the Hifiman HE-Adapter (which converts speaker-level output to 4-pin XLR) and drive your HE-6s that way.  I have that set up and it works pretty well, but it's not up to the standard of my Lyr or powering the HE-6 from the speaker outputs of a full-size receiver or amplifier.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #66 of 66
A question :    I'm currently running the E17 from my PC to my NAD 3130 receiver using the L7 line out dock.  Although it sounds phenomenal, it would look and function a lot better if I had it docked into an E09k.  My fear is  I heard the sound is not as good with that setup (having the E09 going to my receiver via RCAs) than the way I have it now.  Any thoughts? Incidentally, 99% of my use is playing 24bit audio through my NAD, I could care less about headphone use..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back