Fiio E7/E9 vs E17/E9 vs E10?
Dec 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #31 of 66
So the Fiio E17 will (if we predict correctly) a better sounding DAC than the Fiio E10 and on top of that can be used as a portable AMP which the E10 can't due to the integrated battery?

Well, sounds like a no brainer to me to wait for the E17. I just cancelled my order for the E10 :)

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #32 of 66
I'm going to borrow this thread and ask a simple question. I recently bought the Astro MixAmp so I could use my PC360s together with my Xbox. I feel tho that they need a little bit more juice, so i figured I should get myself a amp. I don't know which one to buy tho, the FiiO E9 is suppose to be a great choice, but I'm not sure if that would the best amp together with the PC360 and the MixAmp. 

The PC360 is super efficient, and sound practically the same with a mini amp or power amp. You probably just don't like it's inherent sound signature, because Mixamp alone, or E9 in the mix, the difference is almost nil.

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #33 of 66
have read this thread through and am still looking for some advice on what i should do.
bought an e7+e9 combo not too long ago and unfortunately i dropped my e7. it still docks the e9 but my pc no longer recognises the dac thing which means it's rendered pretty useless. i bought the combo as my headphone out on my laptop was broke so i had to go with usb to continue listening to my laptop where all my music is ripped in flac/lossless quality.

so.. i've lost my box/papers for the e7 purchase, so warranty seems very unlikely. and i'm not sure i even want to get it fixed with better and newer products on the market.

so my options as i see them are:
1. get the e7 fixed by fiio
2. buy the e10 - important question: can i connect the e10 with the e9 or is this of no use? if i got things right the e10 does what the e7/e9 combo does but it only has usb in, so if i want to listen to my ipod instead of my pc i'd have to go through the e9 ánd the e10? how do i put these in chain? is it possible? i've got the ipod->e9 cable from fiio, think it's called the e3 or e1?
3. wait for the e17  - can i lock the e17 in the e9?

my setup is beyers dt 770 pro 80ohms and laptop, usually:
pc > e7/e9 > denon receiver > good speakers
or
pc > e7/e9 > beyers

thanks for the advice guys, didn't want to start a new thread

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 66
1. get the e7 fixed by fiio

Get it fixed. Even if you want to upgrade, a working E7 can still be sold and fund your next purchase.

2. buy the e10 - important question: can i connect the e10 with the e9 or is this of no use? if i got things right the e10 does what the e7/e9 combo does but it only has usb in, so if i want to listen to my ipod instead of my pc i'd have to go through the e9 ánd the e10? how do i put these in chain? is it possible? i've got the ipod->e9 cable from fiio, think it's called the e3 or e1?

Yes, E10 can be used with E9 as it has a line-out via the common 3.5mm stereo jack. Unfortunately E10 will not work with iPhone / iPod.

3. wait for the e17 - can i lock the e17 in the e9?

Yes., E17 can dock onto E9. Obviously E17 is meant to be an upgrade for E7, but it will also be more expensive as well. The release date is around early Feb. 2012.

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #35 of 66
thanks for the answer,

in relation to my 2nd question; i can still plug in my ipod in the e9, right? i have the e3 cable so even without the e7 that should.. work, right?

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #36 of 66
thanks for the answer,

in relation to my 2nd question; i can still plug in my ipod in the e9, right? i have the e3 cable so even without the e7 that should.. work, right?

Yes, you can plug your iPod directly into E9 via a LOD.

Err... E3 is an amp. I am sure you mean L3.

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #37 of 66
thanks for helping me out this much, one last question, to connect the e10 with the e9, is this through the line in of the e9?

so, this setup: pc > e10 > (line in) e9 (line out red/white) > denon receiver?

thanks

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #38 of 66

Quote:
thanks for helping me out this much, one last question, to connect the e10 with the e9, is this through the line in of the e9?

thanks

Why would you put the E9 between the E10 and receiver?  It would be better to go straight from the E10 line out to the reciever's audio in.

E10 connects to E9 with a mini to mini interconnect (3.5mm), not red/white RCAs.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #39 of 66

It will work, but my suggestion is to plug E10 straight to the Denon receiver as well if you want to listen to speaker

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #41 of 66
Sure, you can get a mini to RCA cable from most electronic store.

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #42 of 66
Everyone's licking their lips about the E17 in that it's 'better'. I'm seeing it increasing its support of files up to 24/192, but isn't it using the same chipset as the E7? If I play an Apple lossless file ripped from a CD through an E17/E9 combo, how is it going to sound any better than it would through my E7/E9? Will the increased capacity somehow make the same 16/44.1 file sound better somehow?

I mean, I'm well up for buying it if it *will* sound appreciably better - I'm a massive fan of FiiO's stuff so far; I just don't follow the physics! Am I missing something? Are all you other Head-Fi people playing 24/192 sourced libraries?? And if so, ripped from what?!

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #43 of 66

Quote:
Everyone's licking their lips about the E17 in that it's 'better'. I'm seeing it increasing its support of files up to 24/192, but isn't it using the same chipset as the E7? If I play an Apple lossless file ripped from a CD through an E17/E9 combo, how is it going to sound any better than it would through my E7/E9? Will the increased capacity somehow make the same 16/44.1 file sound better somehow?

I mean, I'm well up for buying it if it *will* sound appreciably better - I'm a massive fan of FiiO's stuff so far; I just don't follow the physics! Am I missing something? Are all you other Head-Fi people playing 24/192 sourced libraries?? And if so, ripped from what?!

People seem to unanimously prefer the E10 to the E7, and it's cheaper and still has the same chip.  Mike at Headfonia gave some early impressions and said the E10 & E17 are very similar sounding.  So the price difference comes down to more features and portability (like the E7 has). 

https://www.facebook.com/headfonia/posts/261758477220167

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #44 of 66

Quote:
People seem to unanimously prefer the E10 to the E7, and it's cheaper and still has the same chip.

It is only the DAC chip that is the same. The USB receiver chip are different and so are the whole amp section. It is the USB receiver chip on E7 that holds E7's DAC back, and the better USB receiver chip on E10 makes a better use of the same DAC chip. The E17 will use the same USB receiver chip as E10, but it have another SPDIF chip to allow full access to the DAC chip capability via SDPIF. E17 will also feature a better amp section as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back