Fiio E7/E9 combo vs Maverick Audio D1
Jan 16, 2011 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

1-anh

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
I was wondering if anyone has opinions between these two headphone amps/DACs. I plan on picking up either one depending on what others think. I like the fact that the E7 is portable, so I can bring that with me and use an L1 out of my ipod to the E7. But I like how the D1 has much more inputs. So if anyone can share their opinions please do.
[/size]

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 18
Oh ok, initially I plan on picking up low impedence headphones just to get started. Such as the AKG K240, JVC HA-RX900, Sennheiser HD555. But over time, I hope to get some higher impedence headphones such as the AKG K702, and beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm headphones. And since the D1 isnt quite as good of an amp, I will probably go with the Fiio E7/E9 combo.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 18
Problem is, there's barely anyone who has compared the E7/E9 with anything else, but the few who have have mostly nothing but good things to say about the E7/E9. I'd seriously start of with the E7/E9... as it's just an unbelievable combo for $200.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 18
Hey thanks for the info, I read lots of good things about the E7/E9 combo in the E9 thread. I had an E5 which I used with my ipod, but I lost it. But for the time I had it, it worked great. I think I will pick up the Fiio E7/E9 and be done with it and improve my headphones as time goes on.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 18
That's all in just over a year's time. I wouldn't recommend going this crazy, lol. I'm just very impulsive. I've finally gotten to the point where I can say I'm truly happy with my headphones. The D7000 is pretty much the definition of my perfect music and movie headphone.

Hopefully the PC360 delivers for gaming.

That leaves me with a pair of really good open headphones to use on hot days when the D7000's pads aren't ideal...

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 18
speaking of e9, how do i connect my computer to it?

do i just use a 3.5 to 3.5? or are there more options? i noticed the amp has a "L/R Lineout" and a "pre-output", do i ue these? also, the front of the e9 is a small and large headphone jack, which one do i use?

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 18
You will need to have a decent soundcard with a line out and use a 3.5mm cable to hook up to the Line In on the back of the E9.

That or even better would be getting a DAC. The Fiio E9 was designed to work best with the E7. The E7 has a DAC. What you do is dock that to the top of the E9. The E9's usb cable would go to the computer, and that's it. The DAC will act as an external soundcard, and will bypass the one on the computer. You plug in your headphones to the E9 and voila. The two front jacks are nearly the same. The smaller one has a 30ohm resistor so that you can connect really easy to drive headphones, and gives you more travel on the volume pot. Otherwise, the bigger input is made for most harder to drive headphones.

The pre-output is for desktop speakers that have their own volume control (like the Logitech Z2300). The E9 is very versatile.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 18

Thanks for the explanation, shame they couldn't just included a cable with the amp, now I gotta go get one
dt880smile.png

Quote:
You will need to have a decent soundcard with a line out and use a 3.5mm cable to hook up to the Line In on the back of the E9.

That or even better would be getting a DAC. The Fiio E9 was designed to work best with the E7. The E7 has a DAC. What you do is dock that to the top of the E9. The E9's usb cable would go to the computer, and that's it. The DAC will act as an external soundcard, and will bypass the one on the computer. You plug in your headphones to the E9 and voila. The two front jacks are nearly the same. The smaller one has a 30ohm resistor so that you can connect really easy to drive headphones, and gives you more travel on the volume pot. Otherwise, the bigger input is made for most harder to drive headphones.

The pre-output is for desktop speakers that have their own volume control (like the Logitech Z2300). The E9 is very versatile.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 18
I mistook you for the OP as you have the same generic avatar.

Umm, what is your source? Your setup as it is now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back