Fiio E5 vs BSG cMoy
Jan 19, 2009 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rex81

100+ Head-Fier
First let me state that I don't have a ton of headphone and amp experience, but I figure thats ok since a well established audiophile will probably not be interested in these amps in the way that a noob on a budget (like me
biggrin.gif
) will be.

I compared these amps over a few hours with various types of music, all 256k MP3s from my Creative Zen MP3 player. Headphones used were Senn HD280 Pro, HD565, and Audio Techinca AD700.

First, I love to be portable. So the E5 gets major points for that. Obviously the cMoy isn't huge as its just an altoids tin, but it is 6 times the size of the E5. And I like that the Fiio has the bass boost option. I use it all the time because it does wonders for the AD700s, but if you don't want it, click it off and you have a natural sound. I also like that the E5 is charged by USB. Some people may prefer to have the 9V on the cMoy. Not me.

On the BSG cMoy, I prefer the volume knob as opposed to the rocker on the E5 and I also like that it has a DC input to run it off a wall adapter when you don't need to be portable.

On to sound: I'm going to make this very simple, because I think it is. They sound very much the same. The BSG cMoy may be slightly (and I mean *ever* so slightly) warmer and fuller, but its so slight I had a hard time noticing it even after numerous A/B, and I'm sure its something I wouldn't miss if I only owned the E5. Their sound quality really is almost the exact same, at least across the trio of headphones I tried. There may be greater differences with better headphones, but if you own better headphones, again, you're probably not interested in these amps.

Both obviously added volume which the HD565 really needed. The cMoy goes about 1/3 louder than the E5, but the E5 is capable of powering all my headphones (even the HD565) well past acceptable listening volumes anyway.

The E5, with its bass boost switch, allowed for more and deeper bass, which I really like. I particularly noticed it on tracks like Kanye West - Love Lockdown, where the bass goes way down deep. I'm not a basshead, but everyone knows the AD700s are a tad light on bass, and the E5 balances them beautifully. The bass boost is tight and controlled. It doesn't muffle or take advantage of it in any way. Just gives you slightly more of the good stuff. So don't think it will ruin that great AD700 tightness.

The BioScienceGeek cMoy is a well built and very nice sounding amp. I ordered it new on Ebay for $50 plus $7 for shipping and it was built to my specs, which included a plain Altoids tin, aluminum volume knob, and blue led light. It was custom built and to my door in less than a week with excellent communicatoin and instructions. I consider it an excellent value. However, I just don't think anything has a chance against the E5. It is too small, solid and cheap to have ANY competition. I much prefer it as a portable noob on a budget. This thing is awesome.

Anybody want to try a BSG cMoy?

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 10
Oh, sorry about posting in the wrong forum. How do I move it? Or does an admin have to do that?

As far as the HD280 and E5: The HD280 was the first "better" headphone I bought and I loved it until I heard the HD565 and then the AD700. Now anytime I break it out and have a listen I can't help but hear a total lack of punch and clarity. In my opinion it sounds much worse than the other two and the E5 doesn't help it. Just more of the same.

In all, I think the E5 adds very little coloration and just emphasizes the headphone. This is great for the HD565 and the AD700. Not good for the HD280.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 10
I bought a BSG cMoy. When I got it, the tin was dented and the LED light didn't work. I didn't send it back, though, because I liked the sound too much to put this thing back in the mailbox. When I left feedback, indicating my disappointments, BSG sent me a new one free of charge. The new one was dent-free and its light worked just fine, but soundwise, I never had a complaint with the first one. This BSG has incredible integrity and I'll speak his praises for as long as I have breath.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Indeed, I would recommend the amp E5 over the amp BSG CMOY, but in terms of cutomer service, BSG is your man. If you can live with the size and the tiny added cost, go for it.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm about to pick up a pair of Ultrasone 780's, and am considering buying the E5 aswell. I will try the headphones out first, and then make the decision on whether I should buy the amp or not. If my ipod powers the 780s well enough and the phones aren't lacking volume, then is the amp a worthy investment? Will the increase in SQ be noticeable? According to those who own 780's, there is already plenty of bass so I most likely won't be needing the bass boost button.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 10
Great review and feedback for BSG. I saw a picture on his eBay store, has a very cool look to it for a portable amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by F430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to pick up a pair of Ultrasone 780's, and am considering buying the E5 aswell. I will try the headphones out first, and then make the decision on whether I should buy the amp or not. If my ipod powers the 780s well enough and the phones aren't lacking volume, then is the amp a worthy investment? Will the increase in SQ be noticeable? According to those who own 780's, there is already plenty of bass so I most likely won't be needing the bass boost button.

Those are pretty nice headphones. You're definitely going to want an amp with those. All headphones sound better out of amps, especially good headphones.

Yeah, BSG offers excellent customer service and well built, good sounding amps. I just decided I liked the portability of the E5 better. I just sent mine back and he gave me a refund the same day he got it back. Highly recommended.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 10
I built my own Cmoy as my first budget amp. Still use it fairly regularly with my laptop and my iPhone 4. It's not all that hard to build and they have new plans for better builds that are supposed to be easier to do to.  I'm not all that great at soldering and I was new to the whole DIY stuff but it's pretty cool.   It really adds to my tracks. I've been looking around the forum looking for some comparisons of the DIY amps vs some of the less expensive factory stuff like the Fiio's.  Haven't found anything much. I've been poking around at the Fiio E7 or the NuForce uDAC2, these are just a step up in cost, around $100-130, but they have a DAC for the computer.  I'm considering this since my amp and clunky headphones aren't walk/run portable, just cafe portable. Just another view point.
atsmile.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

can i just sat that the e5 is  ok with the hfi780 and dosnt seem to add distortion but the caffine ultra is so much better ,its the same opamp as the arrow ,tbh i cant see the e5 being much better than the ipods own internal amp ,the neco soundlabs cmoy also gets some amazing comments.
oh yes the hfi780s are driven as easily as senn px100s
can i also say with a poor sorce the ultrasones will sound no better than the px100s my nano sounds terrible d2 great sflo2 out of this world with the ultrasones but they are amazing cans
 edit : maybe im not being fair as the nano(dont have a lod) and d2 were used via ho while sflo2 is line out via twin dacs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back