Fiio e5 impressions... (Quick Review)
Aug 11, 2009 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

big_sound

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my fiio E5 in the mail today. I must say, I am having some really mixed feelings on it. Using my se530's with it, I cannot hear any difference. The only difference is that I can crank the sound Incredibly loud. The only reason(I think) to use the bass booster setting without using EQ on the ipods. This is useful since the EQ settings distort much of the music.

Has anyone noticed a difference in sound besides bass boost when using your fiio e5? I just don't get how it makes the music any better. Soundstage? Clarity? Highs? Mids?
confused.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 20
Very right the Fiio E5 just makes a little tiny difference (Personnaly I don't here nothing with my phones a little more increase in volume thats all..) but oki if you get one to try otherwise i suppose like most people it isn't worth it save the money and buy better headphones...or something else

(I have tested it with my D2 - Sensa Clip and PX 200 - HD595 - Phonacs)

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 20
i don't really hear much difference neither (except for the bass)

i use it mainly to save the mp3 player some battery

mine fell on the ground and now the little light won't go on when i'm recharging it. i think it's still recharging fine, though.

and let me ask something, since we're talking about the E5:
would it be useful to use it with a Head-Direct RE02 on a iAudio 7 (since the iAudio 7 already got its amp)?
what about on a Fuze?
thanks

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't really hear much difference neither (except for the bass)

i use it mainly to save the mp3 player some battery

mine fell on the ground and now the little light won't go on when i'm recharging it. i think it's still recharging fine, though.

and let me ask something, since we're talking about the E5:
would it be useful to use it with a Head-Direct RE02 on a iAudio 7 (since the iAudio 7 already got its amp)?
what about on a Fuze?
thanks

Wouldn't make a difference. The same thing as my setup I guess. You could try it with the fuze for some extra bass, but it wouldn't really help SQ drastically. The only reason I bought the fiio is to see how well I could utilize it with my zune, and for when my arm hurts from carrying my pico amp around all day.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 20
Try using it for a couple of days constantly, and then take it off and see what you think of the sound without it in-line. I agree it's a minor difference for me too, but you really shouldn't expect big things for a $20 amp with an already easy to drive earphone.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the e5 is mainly to increase volume/add some bass... what do you expect for $20? it's no pico
tongue.gif

tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
, You are right, It is called AMPLIFIER, which is main to increase volume/ add some bass ( distortion,some body reported).

I have said many times that what you pay, what you get.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 20
Hey,
I use the E5 with my AKG K271s, 55ohms. Never use them out of my iphone without it! Definitely sounds better. Much better bass, midrange, soundstage and volume. Especially with a line out. I was quiet surprised for $20!

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 20
My Phiaton MS 400s sound quite a bit better with it. Overall these headphones, although typically easily driven, get their bass back when this little thing is hooked up to it. In the end, I would honestly never use them without this thing. Although I have never heard any other portable power sources, I definitely feel like it was $20 well spent.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 20
For $20, you can't really go wrong. I tried my friend's E5 with my UE Triple.fi 10's, and it really helped to open up the mids (which are slightly recessed on the TF10, as many people have noticed). I just ordered my own, and it should be here by Monday 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back