FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Jun 14, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #1,427 of 1,737
It will still drive your headphones with more power (doesn't depend on volume level) which will give a little bit better sound, depending on what headphones, amp and player you use, the difference could be insignificant or pretty noticable. Also it COULD make it sound WORSE depending on your equipment. It's all relative really. I noticed using the E5 with my V-moda Vibes and Sansa e250 made the bass sound a little muddy compared to just straight from the e250 to the Vibes (with bass boost off).

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #1,429 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will still drive your headphones with more power (doesn't depend on volume level) which will give a little bit better sound, depending on what headphones, amp and player you use, the difference could be insignificant or pretty noticable. Also it COULD make it sound WORSE depending on your equipment. It's all relative really. I noticed using the E5 with my V-moda Vibes and Sansa e250 made the bass sound a little muddy compared to just straight from the e250 to the Vibes (with bass boost off).

I get the same thing with the C240 if I have the deep bass on my PL30s on with the E3. When I turned them to clear bass, it tightened up and everything sounded better, but it's still a little muddy. I just got a Sansa Clip as well and by comparison, it's crazy how much better the clip combo sounds. I should have my E5 in a few days, and hopefully it at least plays nice with my C240, since thats 9gb against my Clip's 1gb.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #1,430 of 1,737
Anybody got advice on where the cheapest place to get one is? I'd like to get one, and I've got like.. exactly $20 to spend on it. Less is better!

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #1,432 of 1,737
Jun 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #1,433 of 1,737
I purchased one from this seller - price was 18ish. shipped promptly. Bit concern about longevity of this item given how the battery is setup but hopefully it will last a couple of years.

One quick question - if I plug in the usb and turn it on at the same time does it charge while in use ?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,434 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by you2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased one from this seller - price was 18ish. shipped promptly. Bit concern about longevity of this item given how the battery is setup but hopefully it will last a couple of years.

One quick question - if I plug in the usb and turn it on at the same time does it charge while in use ?

yes, it does

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,436 of 1,737
Li-ion battery generally last less than 3 yrs under normal use, so don't expect E5 (or any Li-ion device) to work forever. Depends on the environment (mostly on temperature), Li-ion can degrade much faster and go out in less than a year.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #1,437 of 1,737
Hello, please forgive my ignorance but i cant seem to find a answer to my question. I have a cowon pmp with a headphone out (34mw + 34mw on 16ohms), but no line out. I have read many pages of the forum, where portable amplifiers are meant to be plugged in through a lineout, because the headphone out is already a amp?

Would there be a problem with plugging the amp into the headphone out? Also, im using a esw10jpn, but the volume stops increasing after 28 of 40. I've also read someoes post that says the e5 may decrease the sound quality. I love the current sound, but perhaps would like a little bit higher volume~

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #1,438 of 1,737
Here is just some thought I have regarding amping in a portable setting that you might find interesting.

I think the obvious question is whether your Cowon has a volume limiter on it (all EU models have one as required by EU regulation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back