FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Jan 17, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #1,006 of 1,737
Mine came in today too.
Great little amp. Definitely easier to hold/attach than the E3, but the clip puts it on the thick side. No complaints on sound at all.
Worth the price, however, all this spending makes me want to buy more things for my player (PA2V2 next).

I guess my only complaint is that I would've liked to have both the input and output on one side. Instead of have a wire run along my player or having the headphone cable exit upwards.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #1,008 of 1,737
My e5 arrived on friday, I've spent about 10-12 hours with it since then, I can say there is hiss! When combined with my Westone3 headset atleast.

It adds to the sound, enhancing the volumerate, there is a bassboost when having it in the E3 mode( I suspect that is what it is, not having read the manual very well
wink.gif
)
The other mode offers little enhancement except volume, it only makes the music seem more alive, more full.
However the hiss is very much present during the volumes I listen to. I would really like for it to be gone.. I assume one has to pay a little more to get an amp without the hiss
wink.gif

All in all, its worth the few monies, it helps with harder to drive headsets I'm sure! For me its handy to have with me, But wouldn't be missed if I forgot it, though I would have to listen to my music for a while each time I found it again, as it does something to the music which I rather like.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #1,009 of 1,737
Jan 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #1,010 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get rid of the hiss when you add an impedance adapter to the output of the amp. Something like this: ETYMOTIC ER4P TO ER4S RESISTOR ADAPTOR - eBay (item 290289396972 end time Jan-21-09 17:19:27 PST)

Of course it's as expensive as the FiiO itself, so it probably isn't worth it...

Hehe, No.. I doubt that would be a worthy purchase.
I could always turn down the volume on the e5, it works to some degree
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I might have gotten an Attuenatorthingie somewhere though.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,012 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious why you would need an amp for the W3s. I don't seem to need one at all, and especially would not use my E5 with the W3. Just curious.

I wonder as well at the pairing of the E5 w/ the W3.
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #1,015 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder as well at the pairing of the E5 w/ the W3.
confused.gif

E5 is cheap, So just for fun
wink.gif

Its true I don't need it for the w3, I am not using it today.

It will scratch up my mp3player if I keep using it without velcro/something, and I don't want to mess up my pretty player like that you know!
wink.gif

On longer trips I will use it though, it added some spark to the music.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #1,016 of 1,737
Hi all.
Just to add a quick word re the "hiss" debate. With my usual UE Superfi 5's there's hiss at switch on - but for me (at my listening volume) when playing music it's not a problem. I tried my older Superfi 5 pro's - similar hiss there too. BUT I dug out some Ety 6i's which I hadnt used for a while ( Cos I have to refilter too often!) and there is no hiss at all !! (Higher impedance?) At to be honest the pairing with the E5 seems to me to be a perfect match(for a very minimalist approach to portable system!)
Regards.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #1,017 of 1,737
Anyone know if it would be worth using an E5 with Audio Technica AD700 from a 1g Nano? Looking to buy these headphones for my girlfriend next month for her birthday and possibly a small amp. How do these compare to decent Cmoy's like the BSG ones?

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #1,019 of 1,737
I've tried them with my c551k's, but I think I need a better match. For now, I'd say the difference with the c551 is minimal, although on some songs I definitely notice tamed highs and less rolloff. The bass also seems pretty well tightened on some songs where it was initially pretty bloaty.

My biggest use for it, however, is with my horrible sigmatel onboard sound in my laptop. I've been using the E5 at low volumes and it's a rather quick way to clean things up with this rather messy source. Kills the hiss, for one.

But yes, it's been discussed before that the E5 does have noticeable hiss at higher volumes. I'm waiting to get my hands on a k271/k270 and see if the high impedance match is a good one.

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #1,020 of 1,737
I just received my Fiio E5 yesterday and am giving it a test drive for the 1st time with one of four sets of headphones I have ... my Sennheiser PX100s. a favorite set for traveling. So far, so good. I'm hearing a slightly "fatter" overall sound and maybe a slightly broader soundstage. I need more time listening to these and other phones, though.

I don't need to use bass boost for my taste.

I'm not hearing the hiss so many complain about, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back