FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Dec 23, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #856 of 1,737
Why can't I hear a difference in volume or quality?
I have iPod Touch 1g>Fiio E5>Alessandro MS-1
There is no change in quality no matter what volume and no hiss at all. However connected to my TV it will give a hiss when compared to connecting to TV without the amp.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #858 of 1,737
So got a mildly used Sansa Clip for chump change today, connected the E5, turned on bass boost, plugged in my PK2s, turned on some bass-heavy hip-hop and...

...am I hearing some real punchy bass on my PK2s?

*eargasm*

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #863 of 1,737
I get hiss on my x10s so what I did is paused the music and turned the amp down till I heard no more hiss, then adjusted my Clips volume to comfortable levels.

I have bass boost on now but with running such a bass heavy IEM I think I will turn it off. Just try listening to Dracula - Gorillaz with bass boost on with x10s. My skull is shaking.

EDIT: I am using the stock wire that came with the amp as I am not far enough along in the amp world to decide if I want a new cable.

pink

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #864 of 1,737
Tested my E5 for 2 days now and here are the impressions:
  1. It is even smaller than i thought, when I unpacked it, at first I asked myself ''where is the amp? '';
  2. Tested it with Technics RP-F290 and the amp did a great job increasing the overall volume, but I can't say that it dramatically increases the sound quality, it only improves some weaknesses of the headphones, like a bit more detailed highs, but remember it's price..
  3. Very easy on the go, because of the belt clip;
  4. Conclusion - It's vorth even more than the price so I suggest it for everyone who wants to increase the volume of headphones.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #868 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think best practice is generally 80% right or until you hear no hissing.

It's not considered best practice I know but for me I use max volume on the E5. The E5 is an AMP and if I put it at a lower volume then max on the E5 the end result becomes the same volume than if I did not have the amp in the first place.

So I don't see the point in lowering the volume of the E5 if in the end you get no actual volume increase compared to not having the amp at all.

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #870 of 1,737
You may get more hiss having the amp at high volume and using the player's volume control because the amp will amplify any signal that it gets, even if there's no actual music coming from the player, the amp is amplifying the background noise so you get hiss. That's why I'd recommend keeping the player maybe not at 80% but maybe half volume to conserve the battery, and then use the amp's volume control (or set the player to whatever volume you want if battery life isn't an issue for you). If you don't hear any hiss or don't care then by all means conserve all the battery you can, but the main functions of an amp IMHO is to improve sound quality, increase volume and extend battery life of the player. Everyone's opinion varies of course but that's how I would use it.

If you're not so concerned about battery life of your player, setting the player to 80% or thereabouts is probably the best idea; that would also seem to me to be the most practical use of the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back