FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Mar 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #1,291 of 1,737
the op-amp transplant has transformed the sound of my e5. the top end spectrum has returned! still not sure if its better than the headphone out of my classic but time should tell.
much happier with this little amp now.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #1,292 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about head direct? do they have fast shipping?

i have ordered a lod from there and it came in a week so i guess they are fast

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #1,294 of 1,737
Can these power my hd650's

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #1,296 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by galupo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can these power my hd650's

I highly doubt it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol...

wink.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #1,297 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the op-amp transplant has transformed the sound of my e5. the top end spectrum has returned! still not sure if its better than the headphone out of my classic but time should tell.

Is there a thread or can you supply info regarding this? I tried numerous searches but did not find specific details.

The e5's top end is indeed a touch dark, but nothing serious IMHO with the combos I tried and actually a bit "euphonic" in character. Depends upon your system synergy, I guess.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #1,301 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Johnny, do you have pictures of the transplant? Was it difficult? There isn't much room in the little E5, and it looks difficult to get apart. Please post your thoughts and pix if possible.

thanks,

j

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #1,302 of 1,737
E5 has been taken apart quite a few times before and those pictures were buried under this thread somewhere. The 'transplant' requires some pins de-soldering / soldering on the SMD based opamp - not an easy job to do unless you are good at soldering and own a good soldering iron with small tip.

[EDIT] Also, AD8620 doesn't really design to run on low voltage like the original opamp, so it will only have a very limited run time and under perform all the time.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #1,303 of 1,737
Excuse the possible silly question here, but can the E5 be used with RCA line outs of a home preamp/processor as a headphone amp?

I have an Emotiva MMC-1 pre/pro with no headphone jack output. I know a dedicated headphone amp designed for this use is the best way to go but I was curious if anyone tried this and what the results would be. BTW, I'm using Sony MDR-7506 headphones - perhaps not pertinent to this question but doesn't hurt to throw it out there.

Here's a link to the MMC-1 manual. Not much info given as far as output specs.

http://emotiva.com/manuals2/Emotiva%...0Web_v1pt2.pdf

Thanks in advance!

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #1,305 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by EgeBamyasi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse the possible silly question here, but can the E5 be used with RCA line outs of a home preamp/processor as a headphone amp?

I don't see why it won't work, though I would imagine the SQ won't be as good as a proper headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the E5 have the same (rumored)problem as the E3 in that it will burn out the crossovers of dual or triple driver IEMs?

If it does, it would have burn out my q-JAYS, UM2, TF10, and SE530 by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back