FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Dec 19, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #811 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the advice, I misunderstood what you were saying last time so I was totally thinking something else. My apology here. I did the whole think again and generate some new set of graphs but I guess the result isn't much different form the last trial. I double checked everything and believe it is the soundcard line-in that isn't behaving very linearly. I used another USB soundcard line-in and redid some of the test again but the result are not that different from the first set of data, so at this point I think I'll take it as it is. Not much I can do anyway. I heard the FiiO is planning to publish some technical spec themselves so maybe we will get to see more detail graphs later.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #812 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftywxm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just had my e5 delivered from MP4nation - #0006! Just charging it up.

Anyone tried the amp with the Grado SR80's yet? If so, what are your impressions?

I'm using it with Alessandro MS-1s. They sound exactly the same through it
frown.gif
they also don't increase the volume at all.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #814 of 1,737
How is this amp? I was thinking of buying it if I get my es7's for only $20. I have a Zune80. If anyone has recommendations for another set of cans under $100 and another amp feel free
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #815 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is this amp? I was thinking of buying it if I get my es7's for only $20. I have a Zune80. If anyone has recommendations for another set of cans under $100 and another amp feel free
biggrin.gif

I have a Zune 30 and the E5 works well with it. I use the acoustic EQ setting on the zune30 along with my Atrio M5's. It will probably work pretty well with the zune80 even though the newer Zunes have no EQ presets. The bass boost option may help liven up the sound of your zune80.

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #817 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
so is it available at Dealextreme?

Anyone tried the E5 with the Denon D1000/1001?

I have the D5000's. I know thats not what you asked for but it doesn't do much. Pretty much a toy sorry to say. I'm using a Creative Zen and not an iPod of that makes any difference.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #820 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I have a Zune 80 as well and the E3 works pretty well but theres some hiss. Where the hell would you get ES7s for 20? Are you sure they're not fake?

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #821 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
so is it available at Dealextreme?

Anyone tried the E5 with the Denon D1000/1001?

I tried the E3 with a D1001. I think it made them worse. I need to point out that the D1001 is the only set of phones I have that did not benefit from the E3.

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #822 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Zune 80 as well and the E3 works pretty well but theres some hiss. Where the hell would you get ES7s for 20? Are you sure they're not fake?

The E5 is a whole different ball game, it has no hiss and can drive difficult headphones unlike the E3

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #823 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the D5000's. I know thats not what you asked for but it doesn't do much. Pretty much a toy sorry to say. I'm using a Creative Zen and not an iPod of that makes any difference.

That's too bad... but isn't the D5000 very hard to drive despite its low impedance?

edit: oops didn't see your answer moontan. Well i knew about the E3 but i hope the E5 at least brings an improvement...

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #824 of 1,737
I too noticed that E5 is cleaner than E3, while E3 seems to have a little more bass.
From physical stand point the E5 feels more substantial because of the metal finish and extra weight.
Because of form factor, I like E3 with my Gen 1 iPOD shuffle, but I like the E5 with all other sources.
The LED on the E5 is really nice.
And did I mention the sound quality is really good.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #825 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by accurate_dB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too noticed that E5 is cleaner than E3, while E3 seems to have a little more bass.
From physical stand point the E5 feels more substantial because of the metal finish and extra weight. The LED on the E5 is really nice.
And did I mention the sound quality is really good.

Agreed, the SQ is much better on the E5 than on the E3, as advertised and promised by James and the fine folks at FiiO. I only wish that big companies like Sony and Apple listened to their owners more like FiiO does. I bought 4 of them (2 from MP4Nation and 2 on eBay), just in case anything happens to them (i.e. theft or perhaps the battery not holdng a full charge), so I am ready, they are indeed a winner, and they even made my shrilly, midrange-weak Sony MDR-NC60 Noise Canceling headphones sound fatter and with better overall SQ than straight unamped or even with the E3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back