Fiio E18
Nov 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #647 of 2,308
Just a heads up, Headroom now carries the e18. Mine should be arriving mid-week!

I've got a GS3 that works with the e7, I should be alright with the e18 right?

Yes GS3 owners have not had the problems us GS4 guys had.  
Have you updated to 4.3 btw?

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #648 of 2,308
Any of you find a way to use it as a DAC and charge the phone at the same time.  Or was it made to only do one at a time?

GALAXY S4: SCH-i545 (Verizon)
Android 4.3

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #649 of 2,308
It either works as a DAC (while not drawing power from your phone) or charges your phone. Not both at the same time.

Up to now other USB DACs only knew how to act as a DAC--and drain energy from the phone at the same time :rolleyes:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #650 of 2,308

To keep us from having to scroll back through the thread please tell us your..

Phone make/model:
carrier:
Android version:
baseband version:

Galaxy S4
Sprint
Upgraded 4.2 to 4.3
MF9 to MJA

I had stock rooted 4.2 before; just installed the 4.3 update via Kies (which does not appear to be the recommended way to go if you're rooted; you're supposed to remove root first. So if you haven't updated, then don't do that -- find out what you're supposed to do -- but if you already have, then proceed).

Some people were having problems using CF Auto Root with 4.3 (definitely MJA, but I think it's a 4.3 thing) -- it would work but not install SuperSU -- but all I, and others, had to do was install SuperSU from the store and let it do its install when asked (I chose Normal install when prompted). People reported this in the forum, but the way they reported it was a bit confusing.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #653 of 2,308

Galaxy S4
Sprint
Upgraded 4.2 to 4.3
MF9 to MJA

I had stock rooted 4.2 before; just installed the 4.3 update via Kies (which does not appear to be the recommended way to go if you're rooted; you're supposed to remove root first. So if you haven't updated, then don't do that -- find out what you're supposed to do -- but if you already have, then proceed).

Some people were having problems using CF Auto Root with 4.3 (definitely MJA, but I think it's a 4.3 thing) -- it would work but not install SuperSU -- but all I, and others, had to do was install SuperSU from the store and let it do its install when asked (I chose Normal install when prompted). People reported this in the forum, but the way they reported it was a bit confusing.

Keeping up with which tools work with which OS versions and firmwares is a full-time job with the S4.

Right now, my phone does everything I want it to without root access so I'm good.  If I hear of a simple and reliable root for 4,3/MJ9 I may root my phone again.  But from what I'm reading on XDA, CF isn't supposed to work on bootlocked i337's.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #654 of 2,308
It either works as a DAC (while not drawing power from your phone) or charges your phone. Not both at the same time.

Up to now other USB DACs only knew how to act as a DAC--and drain energy from the phone at the same time
rolleyes.gif

I can confirm that my battery drains much slower with E18 than E07K, so this is absolutely true.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #656 of 2,308
Gotcha. My GS3 has 4.1.2 but I've had luck with the e7 and another Android specific dac using a pcm usb chip. I'll update when I get mine.

4.1.x is what is supposed to be working with the E7/E07K. It should work no problem on the E18. As far as I know, not only it wouldn´t work on 4.2.x (reason why it doesn´t work on GS4), but the GS3 doesn´t have updates to 4.2.x nor 4.3.x.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #657 of 2,308
4.1.x is what is supposed to be working with the E7/E07K. It should work with no problem on the E18. As far as I know, not only it wouldn´t work on 4.2.x, but the GS3 doesn´t have updates to 4.2.x nor 4.3.x.

Thanks!

Can't wait, mine are just coming from 2 states over so it shouldn't be long.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #659 of 2,308

Keeping up with which tools work with which OS versions and firmwares is a full-time job with the S4.

Right now, my phone does everything I want it to without root access so I'm good.  If I hear of a simple and reliable root for 4,3/MJ9 I may root my phone again.  But from what I'm reading on XDA, CF isn't supposed to work on bootlocked i337's.

I'm pretty sure that the only problem with CF Auto Root was just an old version of SuperSU that had problems with 4.3. So, easy fix.

But yeah; if it ain't broke... :) I mostly rooted for Viper4Android, and now I'm finding that it's not worth it -- a good player offers more/better anyway. It was pointed out to me that you can use "Lock Effect Mode" and use the Headset options with the E18, so: bonus!

BTW, I tried Neutron after your post; nice options, but that UI...

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #660 of 2,308

BTW, I tried Neutron after your post; nice options, but that UI...

For the life of me I cannot understand why the Neutron UI gets so much flack. LOL

I don't have any issues with it at all...so I count myself lucky, since it is a really good music player app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back