Fiio E18
Nov 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #589 of 2,308
Okay, I've been listening to the Fiio E18, using a Metro PCS Galaxy S3, Stock Music player, and Brainwavz HM5 headphones...

I'm pretty confused, there are a few different configurations that allow the headphones to produce sound. What should I be connecting to which other ports, to be using the E18 as an amp and DAC?

So far, I really don't hear an improvement in sound quality compared to only  plugging my headphones into the GS3...

No hissing, or compatibility issues, though...

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #591 of 2,308
Just got mine in from micca. Works straight from my gs3 (Sprint and running on rooted 4.1.2 and Neutron Player) and PC at work (main purpose was a DAC for portable and for work). I am getting that high pitched noise on silence on both the PC and the phone though....

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #592 of 2,308
Originally Posted by headsounds /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far, I really don't hear an improvement in sound quality compared to only  plugging my headphones into the GS3...

I had to go take a walk with my headphones before I could appreciate the full difference.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #593 of 2,308
Just to clarify, in order to use both the amp and dac functions, I should have the phone MicroUSB connected to the E18 AMP DAC with the supplied cable. Then my headphones plugged into the CENTER microphone port on the top of the E18?

Oh, a depressing random fact... the super cheap white earbuds that came with my phone have a way better sub bass presentation than my 100 dollar headphones. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #594 of 2,308
NoOb question for any and all. I want to buy this for my GS3. I have seen the double amping subject talked about in some threads here and there. Would that damage the phone?

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #595 of 2,308
  NoOb question for any and all. I want to buy this for my GS3. I have seen the double amping subject talked about in some threads here and there. Would that damage the phone?

if you use the DAC portion with the USB cable provided (micro USB from the Fiio e18 to the micro USB to the GS3) there is no danger of double amping since you are technically bypassing the GS3's headphone port and only using the one on the E18. And yes it sounds much better than the built in DAC (stupid sprint version not having the wolfson DAC...)

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #596 of 2,308
In case anyone wanted to know how my E18 and LG G2 are doing...

Awesome! Had to go to a 4.3 ROM (on Carbon ROM right now), but it works and it works well. 

Glad to it's all coming together, now if only I can eliminate the nasty and occasional interference. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #597 of 2,308
  In case anyone wanted to know how my E18 and LG G2 are doing...

Awesome! Had to go to a 4.3 ROM (on Carbon ROM right now), but it works and it works well. 

Glad to it's all coming together, now if only I can eliminate the nasty and occasional interference. 

Don't sandwich them together. You can try positioning them at right angles or just end to end. Just as experiments, not a practical way of using them. Mine should arrive tomorrow and so my quest will begin.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #598 of 2,308
I literarily opened my package right 15min ago and slightly played with it. Crossing fingers but no interference yet (WiFi on and off tried in sandwich mode), plays instantly on the Note II and it is just... impressive! It feels very well built and solid. The form factor is much better than the one of the E07K or E17. I am pretty amazed with this little thing. I will expend the day of tomorrow playing with it more but I think it has been one of the best buys I´ve done audio-wise.

I will post more impressions later.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #600 of 2,308
Just got mine today...and it's not working on my AT&T S4...

I hope its just something I'm doing wrong...otherwise I'm really disappointed.

USB is plugged into the "DAC" portion and switch is set to "DAC"

Power on via volume knob and the device recognizes a USB device. However, when I try poweramp/soundcloud the music doesn't output anything and it literally flies through each song and I can see the seek bar go in maybe ~20 sec jumps.

Anyone get it to work with AT&T S4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back