Fiio E18
Nov 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #497 of 2,308
Mine should arrive later today. I hope it doesn't have any problems with interference, since I have a Verizon/Samsung Galaxy S3. I ordered it yesterday at 6 AM and it's on the UPS truck for delivery to my home, yippee.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #498 of 2,308
Does anybody know if the final charging light will stop blinking when the E18 is fully charged? Or will it just continue blinking? Because I've been charging it for about 4hours it should be full but the light's still blinking.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #499 of 2,308
  Does anybody know if the final charging light will stop blinking when the E18 is fully charged? Or will it just continue blinking? Because I've been charging it for about 4hours it should be full but the light's still blinking.

I don't know, but the Micca store's page shows this: "Special Offer - Get a 2.1A USB AC charter for only $3 when you buy the E18. Charges the E18 in 4 hours versus 10 hours for normal USB."

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #500 of 2,308
Just as an FYI: 

GSM Carriers... AT&T, T-mobile

CDMA Carriers...Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS

I think MetroPCS will have GSM within the next year, because of the T-mobile merger. Some of the new phones, like the MetroPCS GS4 may already be GSM.

Whew, I shouldn't have an interference problem with the E18!! Thank you past self!

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #501 of 2,308
  Just as an FYI: 

GSM Carriers... AT&T, T-mobile

CDMA Carriers...Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS

I think MetroPCS will have GSM within the next year, because of the T-mobile merger. Some of the new phones, like the MetroPCS GS4 may already be GSM.

Whew, I shouldn't have an interference problem with the E18!! Thank you past self!

LTE is based on GSM, so Verizon and Sprint are GSM, at least in part, now. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #502 of 2,308
Nov 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #504 of 2,308
So it's based on it. LTE is available on GSM and cdma networks.... They just use different bands.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #505 of 2,308
I think LTE is just a newer data transmission standard.  The reported interference is almost certainly limited to the radio frequency bands used by GSM, but doesn't manifest with the bands used by CDMA.   The data gets carried and utilized by the LTE standard regardless of frequency.
       I'm really bummed not have only read about this issue after I placed my order since I have an AT&T GS4.  IF there is noticeable interference I'll either a) return the e18 b) look at separate dedicated music player (the new Samsung Galaxy player 4.2 looks pretty cool. It's basically like a GS4 without the phone/4Gdata).
   Option b is sounding more appealing the longer I think about it.  I use my phone for work and I work 12 hour shifts, so battery life is a concern.  Having a separate device for music listening might be better.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #506 of 2,308
Just got the E18 in.  Ultra impressed with build quality and accessories.  Great work so far FiiO.

It is charging now, so I will get back with impressions from my HTC One and PC.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #507 of 2,308
guys will the E18 support my xperia z ultra phone, if not what is good to buy for it.

Now I will ask maybe a stupid question, please don't bash me for it.

Is it possible to convert mp3 from digital to analog and will that improve the sound quality for mp3 songs 

My goal is to get the best sound of my mp3 songs wether converting from digital to analog or amplification and listen to them in my car that has a sony car stereo and a 3.5 mm jack

Please if the E18 does not support the xperia z ultra please recommend how to enjoy music in my car

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #508 of 2,308
guys will the E18 support my xperia z ultra phone, if not what is good to buy for it.

Now I will ask maybe a stupid question, please don't bash me for it.

Is it possible to convert mp3 from digital to analog and will that improve the sound quality for mp3 songs 

My goal is to get the best sound of my mp3 songs wether converting from digital to analog or amplification and listen to them in my car that has a sony car stereo and a 3.5 mm jack

Please if the E18 does not support the xperia z ultra please recommend how to enjoy music in my car

MP3 to WAV/FLAC? You are not getting the best out of it! Spend some money, and download any album that you already have from HDTracks. Back to back and see if you can tell the difference. MP3 vs FLAC! Then convert your MP3 to FLAC then compare it to HDTracks's FLAC... :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #509 of 2,308
An mp3 is a digital file that is converted to analog by a dac (digital to analog converter), and this is then amplified to make the sound come out of a speaker (or headphone).
Converting an mp3 back to a lossless file is pointless, because once information/quality is lost in the digital world, it can't come back. So I suggest doing what billson suggested: buy an album you know very well from a lossless retailer, or if you already have it in retail CD form, that would be fine as well. Compare that CD/lossless purchase to your current mp3 copy of that same album. See if you notice any difference. Better yet, have someone else play back the different content for you in a blind test so that you dont know which version is playing, and would then have less opportunity for bias. Many people can't tell the difference between a high quality mp3 and the original lossless cd/flac files, and there are many arguments over whether the human ear can really benefit from audio higher than 16/48. Do more reading around the Web or headfi, as this conversation would severely steer off course of the e18 topic.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #510 of 2,308
I don't consider myself as having a really good ear, but I've noticed quite a difference between FLAC and playing the same track straight off CD. (Using repeated, blind AB testing)

Is there a preferred method, or program that (as close to perfectly as possible) converts CD into FLAC files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back