Fiio E18
Oct 2, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,936 of 2,308
  Alright guys, i'm trying to find the root to my problem.

are you guys having any floor noise or static using the e18 as dac only with a pc?

heres my chain  pc>e18>lyr2>lcd-2 or he-500.  both headsets, i'm getting hissing.

source material is cd's

No such problem for me. Are you using the E18 line out to the Lyr? I've used the E18 to an Asgard 2 to an HE-500.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #1,938 of 2,308
  yup, using the line-out, not coax-out

pc usb to e18 usb, line-out to lyr2

Coax out is a digital S/PDIF output which is not compatible with the Lyr. The E18 has 2 analog outputs using separate jacks. One is used to drive headphones and the other is the line out that doubles as a line input when there is no USB connection. So which are you using?

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,939 of 2,308
  Coax out is a digital S/PDIF output which is not compatible with the Lyr. The E18 has 2 analog outputs using separate jacks. One is used to drive headphones and the other is the line out that doubles as a line input when there is no USB connection. So which are you using?

I know which is which :wink:    its usb to line out (not the headphone out)

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,940 of 2,308

I know which is which :wink:    its usb to line out (not the headphone out)

Did you try setting the Lyr2 to low gain?
Edit: Did you experiment with the E18 gain switch as well as the Lyr2 gain switch? Combinations?

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,942 of 2,308

Yup, tried that too.  when I take it up to my usual listening levels, it starts hissing at me again.

When I get a chance I'll try my E18 and A2 again. The A2's SNR is 4 dB better, however, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,944 of 2,308

Stan, you are the man :)

The gain and volume shouldn't be affected when using the e18 as dac only unit.  The gain and volume is when you use the amp/dac together.

So I connected my E18 line out to my Asgard2 with its volume up all the way on high gain. It was dark, silent. Turn on the music and it was very loud,pause the music and silence. As exected the E18 gain switch and bass switch did nothing when using its line out. Next I used the headphone out with the both volume controls cranked up all the way both gain swiches on high and I could hear some hiss. Of course the volume was terrifying loud(headphone's not directly on the ears). Of course the E18 gain and bass switch functioned in this last test. I'd say that the E18 was working properly. I used a smartphone and a Windoze Tablet as USB sources to the E18, repeating the tests.
So either your E18 or Lyr2 is noisy. Try another DAC. Is your Lyr2 noisy with nothing plugged into its inputs? Maybe your preamp tubes are noisy.

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #1,945 of 2,308
  Alright guys, i'm trying to find the root to my problem.

are you guys having any floor noise or static using the e18 as dac only with a pc?

heres my chain  pc>e18>lyr2>lcd-2 or he-500.  both headsets, i'm getting hissing.

source material is cd's

alright this a repost from the schiit thread.  but just to let all of you e18 owners know you have a great dac/amp from my findings.

So I tried unplugging pieces and turned the volume up after I took each piece of equipment, and my findings are interesting.  So this is what I did

1. turned off music with every part of the chain hooked up.  found out that my pc is the one emitting interference.  beeping and hissing coming out of headphones when volume at full.

2. unplugged usb from pc to e18, volume all the way up, got dead silence

3. unplugged jack from e18 to lyr, volume all the way up, got hissing and static.  What!?

4. see step 2, dead silence, what!?

5. see step 3, hissing and static, what!?, wait let me change out the tubes.

6. let tubes cool down and changed to Bugle Boy, static and hissing with Bugle Boys too.

so in conclusion.  what I found out is the e18 is a badass dac/amp for what it cost, I have to build another comp with a better mother board,  and the lyr2 produces floor noise.  If anyone wants to test it out on their lyr2 and find different results please post.  This is just all my findings with the unit that I have.

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #1,946 of 2,308
@chillaxing When you plug the E18 into the Lyr2 the Lyr2's input has a low impedance connected to it. Without anything plugged in it's practically an open circuit at the highest impedance possible and is susceptible to picking up interference and circuit noise. So that might not be the cause.
It is possibly the noise from your PC is related to a ground loop. Try plugging in all power plugs into adjacent sockets on the same power strip. You might as an experiment lift the ground pin on the Lyr2's power plug using a 3 wire adapter.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,947 of 2,308
  @chillaxing When you plug the E18 into the Lyr2 the Lyr2's input has a low impedance connected to it. Without anything plugged in it's practically an open circuit at the highest impedance possible and is susceptible to picking up interference and circuit noise. So that might not be the cause.
It is possibly the noise from your PC is related to a ground loop. Try plugging in all power plugs into adjacent sockets on the same power strip. You might as an experiment lift the ground pin on the Lyr2's power plug using a 3 wire adapter.

You sir... thank you

Used the 3 wire on the amp, and move the computer power to a open wall outlet.  Only time I hear noise now, is when it's in the recording.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #1,948 of 2,308
@chillaxing Glad to hear things have worked out. Another trick is to get an optically isolated USB adapter, however, it is much more expensive. Most people don't understand or are aware of ground loops and will blame the wrong equipment or buy products like a Schiit Wyrd that will not fix this. Now you can enjoy some music.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,949 of 2,308
Hey guys,

I recently joined this world and bought the Beyer 770 pro 80 ohms, theyre awesome but I feel I need a solid dac. Is this e18 still a good choice or should I head for the brand new FiiO Q1? The latter looks like a superb item and is half the price, comments are positive, but... e18 still feels more stylish and top-line for me.

Can't really decide which one to buy lol.

I will use it with my PC and with my HTC One m7.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,950 of 2,308
  Hey guys,

I recently joined this world and bought the Beyer 770 pro 80 ohms, theyre awesome but I feel I need a solid dac. Is this e18 still a good choice or should I head for the brand new FiiO Q1? The latter looks like a superb item and is half the price, comments are positive, but... e18 still feels more stylish and top-line for me.

Can't really decide which one to buy lol.

I will use it with my PC and with my HTC One m7.

The E18 has more power, check the specs and see which has enough for your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back