Fiio E18
Oct 21, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,951 of 2,308
I recently got the E18 and I'm really enjoying it. So much so that I've sold my X5 and E12 combo.

But, something I'm quite unsure of, however, is how the DAC is supposed to work. I had assumed that when you plug it into the phone OTG style, that the E18 would be handling everything with regards to sound. However, I can still adjust the volume from my LG G3, and also the equalizer settings. That, to me, says that the sound is still being decoded and running through the phone's amp. Perhaps I'm wrong (hopefully someone with knowledge on this subject can inform me of what's going on).

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #1,952 of 2,308
  I recently got the E18 and I'm really enjoying it. So much so that I've sold my X5 and E12 combo.

But, something I'm quite unsure of, however, is how the DAC is supposed to work. I had assumed that when you plug it into the phone OTG style, that the E18 would be handling everything with regards to sound. However, I can still adjust the volume from my LG G3, and also the equalizer settings. That, to me, says that the sound is still being decoded and running through the phone's amp. Perhaps I'm wrong (hopefully someone with knowledge on this subject can inform me of what's going on).

Don't worry. Turn the sound up all the way on the phone and adjust the volume on the E18. There are two ways the sound can be adjusted by the phone when using an external DAC. It can either be scaled digitaly at the phone which is undesirable or the volume factor can be transmitted digitally and processed downstream. In either case, controlling volume by using an analog pot is best and that's what the E18 volume control does.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #1,953 of 2,308
  Don't worry. Turn the sound up all the way on the phone and adjust the volume on the E18. There are two ways the sound can be adjusted by the phone when using an external DAC. It can either be scaled digitaly at the phone which is undesirable or the volume factor can be transmitted digitally and processed downstream. In either case, controlling volume by using an analog pot is best and that's what the E18 volume control does.

Well if the same rule applies to all amps, I wouldn't recommend turning the phone's volume all the way up. As volume increases, the amp becomes less efficient. I have found this to be true of the amp on the G3. So I keep the volume on the G3 at no more than about 75%, and then the rest of the volume control done on the E18.

It's just really disappointing to me that the G3's audio processing isn't bypassed completely when connecting an external DAC.

But I did a little test, which does confuse me even further. The G3 was actually designed with hi-fi audio in mind. It's one of the only android phones capable of playing high res files (tracks on my Bob Marley Legend album are around 150Mb each). And it automatically detects whether headphones or an external amp is connected to the headphone jack. When connecting the E18 to the headphone jack, the actual playback volume is pretty low. You have to turn the amp up all the way to get to a comfortable sound level. But if connecting the E18 to the uUSB port, the volume is much louder...a comfortable level is then around 5 on the E18 volume knob. So perhaps it does bypass the internal amp and DAC. I dunno....
confused.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #1,954 of 2,308
@TheoS53 If the volume control is done digitally or in software/computation in your phone, then you are sacrificing dynamic range as the full range of the signal is distributed accross less bits and then sent to your external DAC.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #1,955 of 2,308
I have ordered my E18 a few days ago and while waiting for shipment, I decided to research some of the more elegant solutions to the stacking problem than the rubber bands (anything that requires an adhesive or covers up a part of the screen is a non-elegant solution to me). I quickly found out that Fiio offers HS6, HS12 and HS15 stacking kits for their Digital Audio Players. For those who didn't know, they look like this:

So I decided to find a similar frame, or a stacking kit for my Galaxy S5 phone. Unfortunately, after searching throughout the Internet I found nothing. There is not a single company that produces such frames. The only option for me would be to 3D print it myself (which I am actually considering). But, my question is, do you, kind people of this thread have any other ideas how to stack these two devices (Galaxy S5 Neo and Fiio E18) in a way that: does not use adhesive, does not obstruct part of the screen, and is not overly bulky?

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #1,956 of 2,308
  I have ordered my E18 a few days ago and while waiting for shipment, I decided to research some of the more elegant solutions to the stacking problem than the rubber bands (anything that requires an adhesive or covers up a part of the screen is a non-elegant solution to me). I quickly found out that Fiio offers HS6, HS12 and HS15 stacking kits for their Digital Audio Players. For those who didn't know, they look like this:

So I decided to find a similar frame, or a stacking kit for my Galaxy S5 phone. Unfortunately, after searching throughout the Internet I found nothing. There is not a single company that produces such frames. The only option for me would be to 3D print it myself (which I am actually considering). But, my question is, do you, kind people of this thread have any other ideas how to stack these two devices (Galaxy S5 Neo and Fiio E18) in a way that: does not use adhesive, does not obstruct part of the screen, and is not overly bulky?

Buy 2 covers

Velcro 1 and leave the other plain for when not using anything. Been using it for 1+ month and forget it's there. I actually hold the e18 and not the Note 4.

It's adhesive on one side but it's on a cover not the Note 4 and the amp/dac....take it off when done.  

Click the image until it is full size...you can barely tell anything is on there.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,957 of 2,308

Buy 2 covers

Velcro 1 and leave the other plain for when not using anything. Been using it for 1+ month and forget it's there. I actually hold the e18 and not the Note 4.

It's adhesive on one side but it's on a cover not the Note 4 and the amp/dac....take it off when done.  

Click the image until it is full size...you can barely tell anything is on there.

That's exactly what I plan on doing with mine. But not too sure how well it will work seeing as the G3 has a curved back

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #1,958 of 2,308
  That's exactly what I plan on doing with mine. But not too sure how well it will work seeing as the G3 has a curved back

If it is heavy duty velcro it should be enough contact area to be no problem. I dressed the Note 4's cover completely but the e18 just has a 2inch wide strip down it's back and it's solid.  I forget it's there unless I switch amp/dac otherwise it's ultra low profile. Some cheap velcro frays after multi use. Others are built for use on clothing or carrying heavier weight.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,959 of 2,308
Oh well, I haven't thought of attaching velcro to a phone case. This might work and is really tidy. Thanks @Hawaiibadboy

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,962 of 2,308
Decided to go the velcro route.. I bought the industrial grade velcro that should support the weight of the E18 easily. Unfortunately, velcro turned out to be so industrial grade that I can't take split the two devices apart anymore...

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,963 of 2,308
  Decided to go the velcro route.. I bought the industrial grade velcro that should support the weight of the E18 easily. Unfortunately, velcro turned out to be so industrial grade that I can't take split the two devices apart anymore...

My dad would have said, psia krew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back