Fiio E18
Jan 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #856 of 2,308
In my shop in VietNam, we sell E18, too. The problem is that we have a Sony Xperia Arco S ( the only android phone in my shop :D ). It's 4.1.2 stock version of this model ( updating is impossible since sony doesn't support ). 

I connect my Sony with E18 but it doesnt work at all. In fact, i can use the media controller, but cant hear any sound coming out from my AKG K702. 

So, do i have to ... root my phone? I'm just afraid it's gonna be a brick :D 

Really need help. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #857 of 2,308
 Apparently, the Sony Xperia Acro S and the Sony Xperia Arc S don't have a native USB Audio feature.

Apparently the Sony Xperia Acro S and the Sony Xperia Arc S  (i.e. USB host-enabled Android devices) using USB Audio Player PRO, that includes a USB Audio soft driver, can work with a USB DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3810#post_10108672

stock Xperia Acro S / Arc S using USB Audio Player Pro >> USB OTG cable (that switches the smartphone to USB host mode) >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

USB Audio Player PRO is available on the Google Play store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro
There is a free trial version.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #858 of 2,308
 Apparently, the Sony Xperia Acro S and the Sony Xperia Arc S don't have a native USB Audio feature.

Since the first time I've heard about the E18 I was asking the same thing: what does it mean "USB audio feature"? Is a hardware or software problem? If is enough to download an app for enable this (as mentioned a post ago), this is a software problem...

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus utilizzando Tapatalk

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #859 of 2,308
You are right for the USB Audio feature.
But the USB Audio driver has to use a USB host controller to drive the external USB DAC.
And the USB host controller is a hardware component, which is missing in some Android devices.

The USB host feature of an Android device (i.e. a native USB peripheral) can be tested using a simpler USB peripheral, like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard, and a USB OTG adapter/cable which switches the Android device to the USB host mode from its native USB peripheral mode in order to interwork with a USB peripheral like a USB DAC (USB is a master-slave communication bus: USB communication can only take place between a master device (i.e. USB host) and a slave device (i.e. USB peripheral).

Android device (i.e. USB host, like a PC) >> USB OTG adapter >> USB mouse (i.e. USB peripheral)

A list of USB OTG adapters/cables:
http://goo.gl/4JyOe5

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #861 of 2,308
  In my shop in VietNam, we sell E18, too. The problem is that we have a Sony Xperia Arco S ( the only android phone in my shop :D ). It's 4.1.2 stock version of this model ( updating is impossible since sony doesn't support ). 

I connect my Sony with E18 but it doesnt work at all. In fact, i can use the media controller, but cant hear any sound coming out from my AKG K702. 

Really need help. 

Rooting is not that risky. If you're thinking about it, take a look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-s it's a very informative forum and it has everything you need (including rom's and guides). Good luck!

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #862 of 2,308

Really need help. 

Rooting is not that risky. If you're thinking about it, take a look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-s it's a very informative forum and it has everything you need (including rom's and guides). Good luck!

One has to be careful and select a ROM that has few issues and supports USB Audio without any odd behavior. One should also learn how to recover the original factory ROM and how fix a brick. Learn all of this before taking the leap.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #864 of 2,308
  Can the E18 power HD650's @ 300 ohms?

Should I just get the E12?

Thanks.

I've tried the E12 with the HD650's and it worked. Even though I have the E18 when I tried it in a store with an HD650 I had the E12 in between. I have a pair of HE-500's and the E18 really can't do that justice but the E12 can. The E18 can power my HD600's but they are more sensitive than the HD650's. If you need a portable DAC for your Android phone or laptop the E12 doesn't have that built in. The E18 seems to work fine with Windows, with Android devices you better check first, there's another thread on Head-Fi all about Android and DAC compatibility.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #865 of 2,308
Stan, thanks. If you had to choose one or the other, which would you choose?

I've never used a DAC, so I'm not sure how much I would benefit from one. My gut says that the ability to power the headphones properly outweighs the DAC.

I do listen through a Galaxy S4

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #866 of 2,308

I've never used a DAC, so I'm not sure how much I would benefit from one. My gut says that the ability to power the headphones properly outweighs the DAC.

I would only choose the E12 over the E18 with orthodynamic headphones. The DAC is what is going to give you the magic.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #867 of 2,308
  I've tried the E12 with the HD650's and it worked. Even though I have the E18 when I tried it in a store with an HD650 I had the E12 in between. I have a pair of HE-500's and the E18 really can't do that justice but the E12 can. The E18 can power my HD600's but they are more sensitive than the HD650's. If you need a portable DAC for your Android phone or laptop the E12 doesn't have that built in. The E18 seems to work fine with Windows, with Android devices you better check first, there's another thread on Head-Fi all about Android and DAC compatibility.

It's interesting that the E18 can't do the HE-500 justice since the HE-500 has such low impedence. I'm a noob so I don't get why they need more power. 

Does anyone know of a similarly priced portable DAC/AMP that is rated for 300 ohm headphones?

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #868 of 2,308

I would only choose the E12 over the E18 with orthodynamic headphones. The DAC is what is going to give you the magic.

That's why I got both. I have an HE-500 (orthodynamic) amongst my cans.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #869 of 2,308

It's interesting that the E18 can't do the HE-500 justice since the HE-500 has such low impedence. I'm a noob so I don't get why they need more power. 

Does anyone know of a similarly priced portable DAC/AMP that is rated for 300 ohm headphones?

Because they are not as sensitive as most dynamic cans. The HE-6's are even less sensitive and requires an amp capable of several watts and a big wallet to purchase then with. Sensitivity and Sound Quality do not go hand in hand, some of the best are not sensitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back