Fiio E18
Dec 31, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #842 of 2,308
Although I must say the e17 and e18 are ahead in SQ, features, and looks.
There's the cheaper E7 or the Pyle re-brand (same exact unit but different brand and cheaper). You'll need to be handy and create a micro to mini usb otg cable though, they're impossible to find at a jumper cable length.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #843 of 2,308
Is there a difference in sound between using it as just an amp and using it as a DAC+amp through the USB? Im thinking of getting at E18 for my DT990 pro/250 for use with a nexus 5 but I've heard the USB doesn't work with a stock rooted Nexus 5. It'll be used with a laptop too

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #844 of 2,308
The nexus 5 sound output is quite bad from what I recall reading. So just amping the nexus 5 would not be my recommendation. An online review company recently added sound quality analysis to their reviews. Note 3, iphone, and nexus 5 were among those reviewed. I forget the company, but the link is somewhere in the note 3 24bit thread.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #845 of 2,308
The nexus 5 sound output is quite bad from what I recall reading. So just amping the nexus 5 would not be my recommendation. An online review company recently added sound quality analysis to their reviews. Note 3, iphone, and nexus 5 were among those reviewed. I forget the company, but the link is somewhere in the note 3 24bit thread.

Well I'm actually quite happy with the actual SQ of the nexus 5. They're releasing the revised edition of the E18 in a couple of days, maybe they'll be nexus 5 compatible?

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #846 of 2,308
Well I'm actually quite happy with the actual SQ of the nexus 5. They're releasing the revised edition of the E18 in a couple of days, maybe they'll be nexus 5 compatible?

That'll be up to Google and Asus. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) running the latest KitKat update and there is no USB Audio joy.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #848 of 2,308

If you like it then great. Sounds are different to every ear. But I do hope you find that article/report/review that has actual diagnostics from the same equipment used to benchmark audio components we find on these forums.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #849 of 2,308
If you like it then great. Sounds are different to every ear. But I do hope you find that article/report/review that has actual diagnostics from the same equipment used to benchmark audio components we find on these forums.

Found it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smartphone-audio-quality-testing
Reading it again, it seems the maximum level you should be at on a nexus 5 is 4 levels from max. Past that the channels are imperfectly amplified.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #850 of 2,308
Thanks for all the responses :) think I might get one in the new year, worst case scenario I have an amp and mobile charger for my phone and a DAC/amp for my laptop, best case scenario I eventually get usb audio support and I have a DAC/amp for my phone as well :)

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #852 of 2,308
An E18 is on order to mate with my Galaxy Note 3. Could anybody with this same combination please answer a few questions:

1. How does the sound quality with the E18 compare to the Galaxy N3 by itself (using CD resolution files)?
2. Does the Galaxy N3/E18 play wav files?
3. Is there a better sounding player to use with the Galaxy N3 than the standard Samsung music software?

Many thanks
Frank

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #853 of 2,308
  An E18 is on order to mate with my Galaxy Note 3. Could anybody with this same combination please answer a few questions:

1. How does the sound quality with the E18 compare to the Galaxy N3 by itself (using CD resolution files)?
2. Does the Galaxy N3/E18 play wav files?
3. Is there a better sounding player to use with the Galaxy N3 than the standard Samsung music software?

Many thanks
Frank

3. Neutron Music Player. It's widely considered to be the best Android music player if audio quality is top of your list. Be advised it is using a parametric equaliser as opposed to a graphic eq.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #855 of 2,308
  3. Neutron Music Player. It's widely considered to be the best Android music player if audio quality is top of your list. Be advised it is using a parametric equaliser as opposed to a graphic eq.

That and PowerAmp. I prefer Neutron but the user interface sucks, it's user hostile. The parametric EQ is hard to use if you want to tune out a sharp peak. It can be done but is not a walk in the park as you have to type in numbers and hit the enter key and can't listen to the change dynamically as with a slider or other user control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back