Fiio E18
Jan 3, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #886 of 2,308
Surely the whole point of the E18 is that it allows the use of a digital signal from Android devices running the appropriate software? Who cares about transport controls?

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #887 of 2,308
Surely the whole point of the E18 is that it allows the use of a digital signal from Android devices running the appropriate software? Who cares about transport controls?

I do, they are very convenient as I don't have to unlock the phone and or bring up the app to accomplish what I can by just tapping on an external button.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #888 of 2,308
Okay, I hadn't thought of that but surely my first point is the salient one?

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #889 of 2,308
  I did get the e18 on Saturday - and as already discussed here it does not work with my Nexus 4 or my Nexus 5 (at least not yet ... still some rooting to do).  

Now all is not lost, for a couple of reasons - I always have the need for a yet another usb dac (with and without a headphone amp) and because it does work pretty well with the new ipad mini and the camera connection kit (cck) - sounds great and the buttons all work.  Works on my old ipad 2 and my wife's iphone 5s also.  (Just to document how it is working for me: i am using a lightning to 30 pin and a 30 pin cck to the e18 - I assume the lightning cck would be fine too) 

I'll report back if I can get it to work with a nexus 4 or 5  ... that is my objective for next weekend.  I am a little surprised that it appears to work on the LG G2 - which I would have thought would have the same limitation.

I experience some problems with the E18 on my Ipad 3 IOS 7.04, using only the 30pin CCK. At first things seem OK but when I try to play some songs in ITunes, it starts playing for several seconds, but than I get the message that the device is disconnected becase it draws too much power. Is this a known issue and is there possibly a work around?

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #890 of 2,308
I have a Samsung Note 3. First impressions of the E18 is that it triggered on my Note 3 a emergency assistance . This sent out several MMS with photos from the front and rear cameras and my gps location with a Google Maps links to 3 people setup.

Everyone wondered what was up with my unshaven face and plate of biscuits lol

So if you have a Note 3 when you use this turn of emergency assistance in the settings.

Other than that this baby rocks. Using sony MDR -1R and Sennheiser HD239 and later Sony XBA-H1. Later on in the week I will get my reviews up on my blog Gavin's Gadgets. Link in my profile. I will of course add my thoughts here too and answer any questions as usual.

Fiio, what a masterpiece the E18 is!

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #891 of 2,308
i thought id say it doesn't quite work with a moto g as expected :frowning2:

i first plugged it in and it recognised i had , the phone muted the speaker . however playback almost works , but doesn't quite. it plays for a short duration but then stutters, and "double plays" the same source with a short delay for a few seconds or so , goes back to normal for a bit and then does the same again .  this is the case with spotify and the default "play music" app . 

its also difficult to get it to "initiate" ? the pair with the dac , sometimes if i turn on the phone with the dac on it causes the phone to start in safe mode . 

i have downloaded usb audio player pro and thankfully this works , but over the last few years i have done most of my listening on spotify so i dont own most of what i listen to :frowning2:  . i hope the new android version will fix this but im doubtful . :frowning2: 

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #892 of 2,308

I experience some problems with the E18 on my Ipad 3 IOS 7.04, using only the 30pin CCK. At first things seem OK but when I try to play some songs in ITunes, it starts playing for several seconds, but than I get the message that the device is disconnected becase it draws too much power. Is this a known issue and is there possibly a work around?

Assuming it is a rev.B E18, you need to be sure it is on 'phone-in' and not 'PC-in'.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #894 of 2,308
  Perhaps an ignorant question, but how do you know if you've bought the "new" version?

http://www.fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?ID=100000140745132

Rev.B is the newer model, which gives you the ability to charge and use with PC. Otherwise it should be identical sounding to the old rev.A.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #897 of 2,308

The whole point of the post to which you responded was that both the E17 and the 18 do offer DAC features for the Galaxy S4, which meant that the poster was free to base their choice on other features.  The poster's point was that the additional features of the E18 (such as the transport controls) didn't matter to them as much as (i) the E17's DAC's compatibility with the S4 apart from which Android iteration happened to be running and (ii) the sound signature (which had been compared to the E7) when paired with the E09.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #899 of 2,308
  What needs to be done to get a S4 working with the E18? I connected them with the micru-usb cable and the Phone had Android 4.2.2. Up until now no sound. Do I need a special app to get this working?

People on this thread have suggested it's necessary to upgrade to at least Android 4.3.  To get it, you might have to root, which isn't the worst thing that could happen. 

(I've been dreading the push to 4.3 and therefore KNOX on my S4, but the fabled rollout seems to be nonexistent on my carrier.)

OT: To S4 owners who received the official upgrade to 4.3 and had to get rid of Knox:  Did this method work for you?

"To Delete Knox: Open Knox, hit your settings button, and choose 'About Knox.'  There is an Uninstall option there."

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #900 of 2,308
To Scrypt

Thanks for the clarification and sorry I messed up. I actually didn't realize the E17 worked as a DAC with Samsung so I've learned something there.

Can someone perhaps explain what the problem with Knox is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back