Fiio E18
Nov 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #721 of 2,308
  Thanks. I ask because I'm picking between the E18 and E12. I have a Beyer DT880 250Ohm so I'm afraid the E18 doesn't have enough power. 

DT880 works fine for me.  I raised the volumes and I don't hear any distortion. But then again I wouldn't listen to anything at such high levels as it hurts my ears.  

On a side note, I find that the E18 sounds better than my Audinst MX1 with all my other headphones (HD598, TDKBA200, DT1350).  The Audinst sounds too soft and smooth, I feel like the details don't pop up.  I guess its the difference in sound signatures?

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #722 of 2,308
  Thanks. I ask because I'm picking between the E18 and E12. I have a Beyer DT880 250Ohm so I'm afraid the E18 doesn't have enough power. 

If you can get a line-out from your android (is that even possible?) or different source and want to drive the DT880 Pros to full potential, the E12 with 800mw @ 32Ohms will work better. Do some research however, there seem to be mixed reviews on the E12. If you had to pick between the E18 as a DAC AMP vs using the headphone out as a preamp to the E12, I would choose the E18 route. Sonically you'll be better off sending your DA processing out of the phone and not doing a preamp to amp by using the headphone out, not to mention amplifying noise and a possibly poor onboard dac.

With the E18, you're also able to do line-out should you ever go with a desktop amp in the future. Which if funds and space isn't an issue, what I'd do. Get maybe a Schiit Magni or Vali or a budget amp for around $100. Of course if you feel like going higher up, I say go for it but consider diminishing returns if you're a bang-for-the-buck kinda guy or gal.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #723 of 2,308
Yeah I was lurking around Schiit products for a while. Then I realize a portable DAC+AMP will be better because I listen to music 50% of the time when I'm not at home. So now I'm looking at E17, E18, and Jdslabs C5D
Can someone try the AMP only function (using 3.5mm M/M) with their phone and see if there is any interference at all ?
Edit: Also, I just remembered that in Android 4.2+ the wifi scanning is always on by default. I think switching it off would help (go to Wifi -> Advanced Wifi)

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #727 of 2,308
Ah right, didn't think of that. I'm used to the offline content of Spotify Premium and lossless files.

Google Play Music All Access (consider a name revision, google!) Also can cache locally playlists, albums, etc. So that may be an option for the other poster using it, and would allow him to airplane mode it if need be. But perhaps he doesn't have the storage available on his phones built in storage. There was an option to cache the Google Music offline content to the microsd card in a version of Google play music released over the summer, but they have updated since then and I haven't seen the option since.

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #728 of 2,308
I've been wondering, has anyone else had issues with very long charge time for the e18?  I know that Fiio states that with a 2A charger the e18 will charge within 4 hours; however, I've been using a 2.5A wall charger and the e18 takes a full 7-8 hours to charge from dead or nearly dead!  Has anyone else here had that issue, or is it just me?  I'm wondering if it is something wrong with my e18 or if it could be the charger itself.  I'd rather know soon so that I could return it and get another.  

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #729 of 2,308
I've been wondering, has anyone else had issues with very long charge time for the e18?  I know that Fiio states that with a 2A charger the e18 will charge within 4 hours; however, I've been using a 2.5A wall charger and the e18 takes a full 7-8 hours to charge from dead or nearly dead!  Has anyone else here had that issue, or is it just me?  I'm wondering if it is something wrong with my e18 or if it could be the charger itself.  I'd rather know soon so that I could return it and get another.  

Go a few pages back to see my experience with it and a few replies.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #730 of 2,308
Google Play Music All Access (consider a name revision, google!) Also can cache locally playlists, albums, etc. So that may be an option for the other poster using it, and would allow him to airplane mode it if need be. But perhaps he doesn't have the storage available on his phones built in storage. There was an option to cache the Google Music offline content to the microsd card in a version of Google play music released over the summer, but they have updated since then and I haven't seen the option since.

I use my phone and don't want to stick a fork in its head by turning off all radios. I also stream to discover new music so cacheing isn't an answer to entire listening experience.
I've been experimenting with offsetting the placement of the phone vs. the E18 with some success.

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #731 of 2,308
Is the end of November but still no E18 here in Europe. There is a hope for the next week? I hope so...

In the meantime.
At the end of the next week my wife will receive her new smartphone so my old Galaxy S will come back in my hands.
Now on the phone is installed the cyanogenmod 10.1.3 (android 4.2.2). I think that I upgrade to 10.2 (android 4.3).
For the Android expert that read this thread: what kernel you suggest that has better chance to support the E18?

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus utilizzando Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #733 of 2,308
Did a review myself of the E18 - quite an enjoyable convergence device with what seems to be an audible upgrade in sound quality over previous fiio products.

Hope this finds favor and thanks guys for a great thread read.

http://headfonics.com/2013/12/the-e18-kunlun-by-fiio/

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #734 of 2,308
Did a review myself of the E18 - quite an enjoyable convergence device with what seems to be an audible upgrade in sound quality over previous fiio products.

Hope this finds favor and thanks guys for a great thread read.

http://headfonics.com/2013/12/the-e18-kunlun-by-fiio/

Good write-up, covered all the info to persuade a potential buyer into making a good investment. Something to read for the seasoned FiiO user along with new comers.

Did it really take you that long to get a touchscreen?!

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #735 of 2,308
Good write-up, covered all the info to persuade a potential buyer into making a good investment. Something to read for the seasoned FiiO user along with new comers.

Did it really take you that long to get a touchscreen?!

Former Blackberry user so I didnt go quietly hehe :)

technically I have tried a few touchscreens but never as my main phone but I figured this time I would go the whole hog and get one that does digital audio OTG as standard rather than through some paid app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back